Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: RFI: 2020 Subaru Legacy

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NCmtnman View Post
    I have never experienced oil consumption issues on the motors or problems with the CVT. While I don’t exactly like the CVT, it’s what you get with Subaru. Like is said earlier, it’s much improved on 2019 and forward models. No lurching or any of that.

I know the oil issue has made its way around the web and I’m sure some people do experience this but I don’t think it’s only Subaru that can run into this. I’ve never had it and I’ve had a fair amount of their cars with almost every version of their H4 and H6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks- only difference in our context is I tend to keep my cars until they become too expensive to fix, or they die from old age 🙂

2013 Crosstrek owner, with just over 159,000 miles on her. To sum it up, I’m planning on a second one this spring/summer. I plan on test driving a manual first - no slight to the CVT, which has given me zero issues - I just miss driving a stick. The CVT doesn’t whir, jerk, etc.

The only consistent issue I’ve had are the CV joints. I’ve replaced all of them, some several times, which is likely due to my local garage using discount parts.

It’s started to burn oil in the last 20k miles. Nothing too extreme, I just pour some in whenever the idiot light comes on.

It still handles well and certainly doesn’t look or drive like it has 160k on it.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    2013 Crosstrek owner, with just over 159,000 miles on her. To sum it up, I’m planning on a second one this spring/summer. I plan on test driving a manual first - no slight to the CVT, which has given me zero issues - I just miss driving a stick. The CVT doesn’t whir, jerk, etc.

The only consistent issue I’ve had are the CV joints. I’ve replaced all of them, some several times, which is likely due to my local garage using discount parts.

It’s started to burn oil in the last 20k miles. Nothing too extreme, I just pour some in whenever the idiot light comes on.

It still handles well and certainly doesn’t look or drive like it has 160k on it.
    I hear you on the CV joint. They just go bad on these, that's how it is.

My 2002 Outback was practically driven into the ground with 250,000 miles on it. Had to replace the CV joints multiple times. Had to replace the alternator twice. When I traded it in, it even had a cracked wheel. I was happy to get $200 in exchange for it. I treated that car hard.....it carried a lot of weight in a lot of generally deleterious conditions. Engine and tranny were fine. Rest of the car would've been in better condition but I really didn't take care of it during my last job due to my shitty low paying job...I was riding her out on "a wing and a prayer" that she'd last me until I got my current gig.

Had to do 1 CV joint on my 2013 Outback in 2018, with about 80,000 miles on it. Haven't had to replace any more in the last 20,000 miles since then. Difference from the 2002 Subaru? Done by a dealership, whereas all repairs on the 2002 Outback were done by regular non-Subaru shops, so I'm guessing the parts were sub-par.

My wife's 2009 Subaru hasn't had any problems whatsoever except for the head gaskets, and now the exhaust is really loud and rattles just because its old and rusted from being in NJ its whole life. She finally got the head gaskets replaced because it started to consume oil excessively (but produced no white smoke, no milky oil in the pan, etc), which is always a gamble and she lost. The dealership did a shitty job, probably didn't even pull the engine to do it right, and now it eats about 2 quarts a month that she just has to live with.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    My 2002 Outback was practically driven into the ground with 250,000 miles on it.
    Well now you’re making me feel bad about wanting to get a new one at only 160k!

You had that at the 2012 AFHF in Rhode Island, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Well now you’re making me feel bad about wanting to get a new one at only 160k!

You had that at the 2012 AFHF in Rhode Island, IIRC.
    Yeah, that's before it started sounding like it wanted to explode over 55mph.

It was also the car that made me appreciate the CVT for driving in the mountains.

FWIW, I'm looking at trading mine out by the end of 2021, and it probably won't have more than 120k miles by then. Not that anything is wrong with it, I just don't feel the need to keep them until they die anymore.

We're driving a 2017 Crosstrek with a bit over 50,000 miles on it. Subaru recently extended the warranty on the CVT to include the 2017 after thinking they had it sorted out in 2016, so do some digging on whether it's now solid or not and whether the new Legacy shares the same transmission. If they made a basic automatic transmission I'd have bought it. Other observations: the cruise control sucks when paired with the CVT. Lots of little surges up and down, and very poor at holding steady in the 25-45 or so range. Lots of speed surging and dropping on curves. It just feels like the cruise control and TDI are arguing with each other. Our 2001 Jetta TDI stick: set the cruise and it's rock steady so maybe I'm spoiled. Crosstrek is great in the snow and ice as are most all Subarus. Their AWD is excellent. Does very well on your basic forest road with some mud and bumps yet still gets about 27 - 33 or so MPG in mixed driving.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    We're driving a 2017 Crosstrek with a bit over 50,000 miles on it. Subaru recently extended the warranty on the CVT to include the 2017 after thinking they had it sorted out in 2016, so do some digging on whether it's now solid or not and whether the new Legacy shares the same transmission. If they made a basic automatic transmission I'd have bought it. Other observations: the cruise control sucks when paired with the CVT. Lots of little surges up and down, and very poor at holding steady in the 25-45 or so range. Lots of speed surging and dropping on curves. It just feels like the cruise control and TDI are arguing with each other. Our 2001 Jetta TDI stick: set the cruise and it's rock steady so maybe I'm spoiled. Crosstrek is great in the snow and ice as are most all Subarus. Their AWD is excellent. Does very well on your basic forest road with some mud and bumps yet still gets about 27 - 33 or so MPG in mixed driving.
    The cruise control being so rock solid is one thing I love about my Jetta. Frustrates the crap out of me when I drive our Durango on the same roads, and it’s constantly hunting for a gear or just sitting in the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by NCmtnman View Post
    I know the oil issue has made its way around the web and I’m sure some people do experience this but I don’t think it’s only Subaru that can run into this. I’ve never had it and I’ve had a fair amount of their cars with almost every version of their H4 and H6.
    It's a lottery, I think. A friend of mine drove Subaru Loyale for 315,000 miles, in Seattle. It was largely problem-free and didn't rust too badly. Last November he finally traded it in for a WRX.

BTW, just popped at Facebook: TrueDelta cannot decide if they are dead and so published some notes on reliability. Crosstrek is deemed acceptable

https://www.facebook.com/TrueDelta/p...type=3&theater
    We've continued to survey a small number of models (mostly Teslas) every six months, and now have updated stats on these covering through the end of 2019.

Looking good:
    2017-2018 Audi A4 / A5 / etc.
    2017 Audi Q7 (no repairs reported by 20 owners during 2019),
    2018 Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain
    2018 Honda Accord
    2016-2018 Mazda CX-5
    2017-2018 Subaru Impreza
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek
    2018 Toyota Camry
    2018 VW Tiguan

About average:
    2018 Ford F-150
    2017-2019 Tesla Model 3
    2016.5-2017 Tesla Model S
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 VW GTI

Iffy:
    2018 Audi Q5
    2018 Honda Odyssey
    2012-2015 Tesla Model S
    2016-2017 Volvo XC90

In the danger zone: 2018 VW Atlas
    Last edited by zaitcev; 02-27-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Wife just bought a 2019 Outback Limited, brings it home tomorrow. This replaces her 2009 Outback.

Site Supporter
    Ordering a Crosstrek this weekend. This thread helped point out something I wasn't aware of, and helped make the decision. First new car as well, going to have to get used to that depreciation hit.

User Tag List