Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loose plunger tube

Loose plunger tube

Lol. Im sure some of you have heard me complain that certain grips dont support the plunger tube. As i was doing some work on my Loaded i noticed it was loose.

This is my most used, carried, and shot semi. I dont think i have an accurate round count but its over 10k.

Looks like it needs a new one. Ironic that my M1 is getting fixed now as well but ill do the work on this.

I just need the tube and the tool to stake it right?

I staked one with a borrowed tool. You shouldn't need a new plunger tube, just your old one and the tool.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=129

I also use a ball cutter on a Dremel to lightly flare the inside of the plunger tube staking holes on the frame. Not totally necessary, but giving the flared ends of the tube a place to flare into makes sense to me.

I've never had to do it twice
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Not that it helps in this case but Ruger uses an integral plunger tube so there's nothing to stake.

I suppose the down side is that any damage to the plunger tube would require machining the frame flush and drilling a couple holes. But that's probably a pretty minor concern.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

You shouldn't need a new tube, since Springfield doesn't stake their tubes to begin with, they're secured with red Locktite. You'll need a staking tool and a vice to secure the frame in. On a Springfield, the plunger tube will typically work loose around 10-12k rounds. Not a hard fix.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I have the tool somewhere. Shoot me an address and I’ll send it

Get an EGW or Wilson Combat BP one, stake it, de-burr the back side in the frame and be done.

I like the Brownells tool. Just make sure you have something inside the tube itself (a drill bit or the little rod Brownells provides) when you do it to support it.

My department had lots of Kimbers in-service back around 2008/2009 after the Warrior and TLE/RL II came out. I think every single plunger tube shot loose at some point, supported or not.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I have the tool somewhere. Shoot me an address and I’ll send it
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    You shouldn't need a new tube, since Springfield doesn't stake their tubes to begin with, they're secured with red Locktite. You'll need a staking tool and a vice to secure the frame in. On a Springfield, the plunger tube will typically work loose around 10-12k rounds. Not a hard fix.
    Hmm, both my springfields look staked

Wilson bp, EGW, or fusion?

Its my go to 1911. Ill pay a little more for the best.

User Tag List