Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loose plunger tube

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Yup-hence the Vickers, and Ruger approaches where the tube is an organic portion of the receiver itself, which I personally applaud.

Best, Jon
    I seem to recall this is a Caspian innovation. There's a lot to like about their frames with integrated plunger tubes and magwells.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Yup-hence the Vickers, and Ruger approaches where the tube is an organic portion of the receiver itself, which I personally applaud.

Best, Jon
    Philistine.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    You'll need a staking tool and a vice to secure the frame in.
    I didn't need a vice when I re-staked the plunger tube in my SW1911PD. I used one of those clamp-like tools that has a bolt you turn with a wrench (unfortunately I can't look up the name of the tool since it was something I borrowed from someone else). It was super easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I seem to recall this is a Caspian innovation.
    I believe Ruger (Pine Tree) is doing the casting of the Caspian frames.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I believe Ruger (Pine Tree) is doing the casting of the Caspian frames.
    In any case, Caspian introduced this feature ~2004. Seem to recall it was in response to a military requirement, and it appeared on the Springfield Custom Shop PC9114 built with Caspian components.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Philistine.
    And proud of it! Although all on my 1911s have the stake-on tube; the one on my SIG GSR is the only one to come loose so far-ironically, that's the one where the tube is emplaced in a milled channel in the receiver to preclude loosening from happening...

I think the organic plunger tube is a great idea. While theoretically if such an organic tube is damaged you're looking at a difficult situation vis-a-vis the receiver, I haven't witnessed or heard of any such damage or incidents. But there are certainly plenty of the separate plunger tube loosening....

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    In any case, Caspian introduced this feature ~2004.
    Yes, my only inference was when Ruger stared making the SR1911 they already had that part established. But I guess casting it in place would be the simple part, making the hole is maybe a little more of a challenge.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I think the organic plunger tube is a great idea. While theoretically if such an organic tube is damaged you're looking at a difficult situation vis-a-vis the receiver, I haven't witnessed or heard of any such damage or incidents. But there are certainly plenty of the separate plunger tube loosening....
    I used to crack wise about J.M. Browning never using one part when he could use two or more, but over the years I have repented somewhat. Shotguns, rifles and handguns... 1911 plunger tubes and grip bushings are just two examples I thought were ridiculous.

Until I bought a used semiauto pistol with (undeclared) buggered grip screw threads, and blundered my way through other adventures in firearms ownership.

In my "golden years" I am ambivalent about separate plunger tubes, grip bushings and glued-in ejectors (as I am ambivalent about monolithic AR uppers... and ARs in general for that matter). Don't love 'em, don't hate em.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 02-23-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I used to crack wise about J.M. Browning never using one part when he could use two or more, but over the years I have repented somewhat. Shotguns, rifles and handguns... 1911 plunger tubes and grip bushings are just two examples I thought were ridiculous.

Until I bought a used semiauto pistol with (undeclared) buggered grip screw threads, and blundered my way through other adventures in firearms ownership.

In my "golden years" I am ambivalent about separate plunger tubes, grip bushings and glued-in ejectors (as I am ambivalent about monolithic AR uppers... and ARs in general for that matter). Don't love 'em, don't hate em.
    Hey, arguably the great J.M. self atoned for his tendency towards increased components by coming up (at least with the starting points) with the High Power...

Just don't necessarily assume that a lower-parts count/simplified High Power is of the same magnitude of detailed disassembly ease as, say, a Glock...

Best, Jon

That was easy. I did relieve the holes a bit. The aft hole was a bit more difficult to do. After staking i noticed it was a bit off centered but the metal flowed even more than the forward one.

User Tag List