Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Competition" Style 2-shell mounts for home defense?

"Competition" Style 2-shell mounts for home defense?

I saw some photos of shotguns that have one or two shells on the right side of the receiver stored in hinky looking storage "sleeves" and a friend told me they are for competition which makes sense because of the context of competition, they don't need to be the same as extra shell storage if your rappelling out of a helicopter!

While I don't compete, it got me wondering if these would be good for my home defense mossberg 590. Since I keep it stored "cruiser ready", having an extra round right there to top off the magazine tube seems nice. Even though I have a sidesaddle, it would give me even one more round.

Also I've been thinking of ditching my side saddle but thats a whole nother story! Anyways, since I don't have any competition experience I don't know anything about these little doohickeys that hold one or two shells on the right side of the receiver. Anyone with experience using them can tell me if they are good for my intended purpose of topping off the mag tube after loading up a cruiser ready shotgun for action? Any particular brands or models that are recommended?

Another idea I've been toying with is keepin the action open slightly and a shell floating in the open action. So that pushing the pump forward, locking the action will load that shell in the gun and the mag tube stays full. I read about this idea online, not sure if it's considered unsafe or stupid but it seems reasonable and as long as the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction and the action doesn't fall on it's own closed, the gun should be pretty safe. The idea of keeping a round in the chamber of the shotgun is bothersome to me in case of a fire and the round "cooks off" although maybe with the shell in an open chamber it's even more concerning since now the blast won't be directed only down the barrel? Although it's probably the same for any rounds in the mag tube that "cook off" and just randomly explode in all directions without a closed bolt to direct their energy down a barrel?

Darn I guess I'm asking two different questions but if keeping a full mag tube and a shell floating loose in an open chamber does work, then I guess I don't need one of these competition shell holders?

https://matchsaverz.com/index.html

... And cruiser ready.

... And take a shotgun class from Rob Haught.

If you keep your chamber empty and your mag tube full (6 or 8 rounds in a 590), you should have plenty of ammo for any realistic fight.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you keep your chamber empty and your mag tube full (6 or 8 rounds in a 590), you should have plenty of ammo for any realistic fight.
    Logically this makes sense. But virtually every single person here has a side saddle on their shotgun with another 4 to 6 rounds. Maybe for slug select drills. But I always feel like I can't have enough ammo!! LOL

I've also wondered about the viability of a match saver on a HD shotgun. Doesn't seem like it would hurt to have unless it's very prone to falling out or getting in the way of other gun manipulation. But I have no formal shotgun training so I'm interested in what our experts here say.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    If you can get a Match Saver to stay on the gun and reliably hold a shell in it when you're grabbing the gun for possible defensive use, sure. Go for it.

If you are cool with having a different manipulation for that specific shell than what you need for the bulk of the ammunition you're carrying in a side saddle and you are committed to training those manipulations to the point of subconscious competence, sure. Go for it.

The Match Saver is going to provide the fastest involuntary/emergency reload available on a shotgun.

Generally speaking I find that most people do not invest the time necessary to master manipulations from multiple locations on the gun.

I invest far more time into practice and training with a shotgun than most and I'm not keen on my ability to go for the right spot for ammo at speed under stress.

In every class I teach I do a little demo of starting with a pump gun loaded with one shell in the chamber. I fire that shot from a low ready, perform an involuntary/emergency reload from my side saddle, and fire another shot in under 2 seconds. With a match saver I could likely cut another 1/2 second or more off that...but match savers aren't really found on pump guns very much. My side saddle works on every shotgun I own, though, so the manipulations necessary to use it are universal and efficient no matter what I'm holding.

So I tend to stick with that.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Logically this makes sense. But virtually every single person here has a side saddle on their shotgun with another 4 to 6 rounds. Maybe for slug select drills. But I always feel like I can't have enough ammo!! LOL
    I keep a side saddle on my gun loaded with 4-6 rounds in case I run into an extraordinarily bad situation. More than likely it will be ammo I load into the gun after the shooting has stopped because it'll make me feel better to have a fully loaded gun while I wait on the cops as opposed to a half empty one.

That being said, I'm not worried about getting an extra shell on the gun with a match saver. If I somehow find myself craving more ammo on the gun...which makes it heavier and a bit slower to use, let us not forget...then I'll use a butt cuff style mount.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I keep a side saddle on my gun loaded with 4-6 rounds in case I run into an extraordinarily bad situation. More than likely it will be ammo I load into the gun after the shooting has stopped because it'll make me feel better to have a fully loaded gun while I wait on the cops as opposed to a half empty one.

That being said, I'm not worried about getting an extra shell on the gun with a match saver. If I somehow find myself craving more ammo on the gun...which makes it heavier and a bit slower to use, let us not forget...then I'll use a butt cuff style mount.
    Which side saddle are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Which side saddle are you using?
    Vang Comp's side saddle cards:

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...prod31882.aspx

I'm using just the Extra Carrier there affixed to my guns with industrial strength Velcro.

Works like a champ.
    3/15/2016

On some shotguns like the Benelli M series, you can open the bolt, eject out the shell in the chamber and replace it with another shell, without the gun loading another shell from the tube. For LEO purposes, it comes in handy because you might go from 00 to a bean bag round, or other non lethal shell as the situation changed. We used to keep 2 bean bag rounds on the right for those reasons. Sometimes we put breaching rounds there depending on what we were doing.

To add a few rounds on the right in the way we used it will be dependent on if it will function in a similar way. Many shotguns won’t allow you to eject a round without automatically loading a second one from the magazine tube. If it works in your gun, it gives you choices vs. being married to whatever first round you have in your chamber....which might not be the ideal round.

User Tag List