Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 magazine as wadcutter speedloader for your snub

1911 magazine as wadcutter speedloader for your snub

Yes, you read the thread title correctly:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ractice-drill/

"Remembering how .38 Special wadcutters will fit into a 1911 magazine, I couldn't help but think that in a situation where you would have to draw a firearm and then reload it, it would be far easier for your hand to locate a full-size magazine and yank it out versus desperately finger-searching for a speed strip. Back at home, I pulled out an old, unused Colt 1911 magazine and fed both the Buffalo Bore {150gr wadcutter} and Federal HST {new .38 HST} loads into the mag, working through a new reloading technique. "
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    It's a really old school trick and it works.
    3/15/2016

Reminds me of the Pez candy dispenser.

Site Supporter
    I’ve done it with my Ruger Blackhawk in 45ACP. I have known for decades about .38 wadcutter 1911s but I never thought to try it for .38 carry ammo. I will have to try it this weekend. Does anybody know which 1911 mag works best? I think I will try my old GI style mags first. I admit that I often don’t carry spare .38 special ammo on me when I pocket carry a snubby but a 1911 mag carried in a safariland model 123 horizontal mag pouch would be easy. IIRC military surplus stripper clips for carrying revolver ammo was a technique but I don’t remember details
    Last edited by Poconnor; 02-19-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Site Supporter
    I've considered getting a 44mag Deagle mag for my 629. While I never considered it, a 45acp mag would also work as a speedloader for my 625.
    I suppose I'll have to get a cheap 45acp mag to try out with my LCR...

Chris

In the interest of science, I walked over to the gun safe for a .45 mag. A WC 47D will hold just three rounds of .38 HST. That's a problem, but I moved on to the reload. It worked. However, I've got speedloaders and speed strips hard wired into my programming, and I'm not sure the magazine would be 1) faster 2) easier under pressure.

If someone runs some reloads on a timer, I might reconsider. Until then, I'm punching delete on the info.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Thell Reed could load a SAA with ACP cylinder from a 1911 magazine in a real hurry.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Thell Reed could load a SAA with ACP cylinder from a 1911 magazine in a real hurry.
    For the love of God: do not click on Thell Reed’s website from his wiki page while 1) at work, or 2) while having coffee with your wife. That is all.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

If a speed strip is where it oughta be -- the watch pocket of your jeans -- the fingers' search for it is far from "desperate"...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    For the love of God: do not click on Thell Reed’s website from his wiki page while 1) at work, or 2) while having coffee with your wife. That is all.
    That’s one way of shaming someone into paying his ISP bill!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List