Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FLIR Monoculars

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Thinking about this one: https://www.flir.com/products/scout-tk/

Can be had 4-500 on Amazon.
    $429, I had no idea these existed. Cool.

https://www.amazon.com/FLIR-Scout-Ha...2198582&sr=8-1
    #RESIST

If you can possibly borrow one, I'd do that and see if you like it.

I got one of the Leupold 'LTO Tracker' thingys, which is a monocular like I think people are discussing. On one hand, it is really cool - you can walk across the carpet and see the warm footprints for a couple of minutes. It's awesome for finding out where the weatherstripping has a leak on windows, etc. OTOH, the reason I got it was thinking I'd be able to watch when the coyotes are howling in the meadow by the house, etc, and it is kinda underwhelming for that.

One issue is that leaves etc are opaque to the frequencies involved. I was expecting to see deer glowing through the brush, but that's not the case. My sense is something like a deer is even less visible through brush than in daylight. In daylight your high-resolution eye sees the color changes of every small pixel change as fur moves past a small hole in the foliage. The low-res thermal image just misses a lot of that. Don't get me wrong - if the deer has his head up, you absolutely can see it across the meadow in pitch dark. But I thought it would be like 'hey, I can see everything at night now', and it not that at all.

I may be wrong, but my sense that walking around and trying to use it to keep from being surprised by ne'er do wells would kinda ruin a nice walk unless you are on really open terrain. I could sure be wrong, but borrow one first if you can.

FLIR Scout TK
    Detector Type 160 × 120 VOx Microbolometer
    Video Refresh Rate <9Hz

At this resolution and refresh rate its not going to be super useful for things that are fast moving or at a distance. As mentioned before, try to borrow one or find some realistic video footage on Youtube to understand what it can do.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

A few years back, when it was brand spanky new, the Leopold Tracker was getting good reviews as an affordable thermal monocular. I would not be surprised if from time to tome used or even new old stock are available at bargain bin prices on ebay, etc.

Greg Ellifritz mentioned he has one and though it isn't as clear as the high-end models, he thought it was worth the money. I've had it on my list for a while. FLIR said they would be limiting sales to governments only in the future. It might be time.

User Tag List