Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLIR Monoculars

Hammertime

FLIR Monoculars

I have been walking a lot this winter. Lots of hours in the dark, early morning. It is a mix of suburban streets and lakeside trails and rugged rocky scrubby terrain. This is city, but the “parks” are totally abandoned and very dark on an early winter’s morn.

For the most part I have made friends with the dark and have stopped being so spooked about our resident mountain lions. Hiking by ambient light or especially moonlight is extremely doable. Otherwise I use a headlight on low.

At this point I am concerned about stumbling unexpectedly into a hobo camp which has happened to me at least twice when I thought I was all alone.

I would like a way of scouting ahead in the dark without blasting the world with a giant light. I have a giant light but don’t necessarily use it much except to light up “problem” areas or narrow corridors I need to traverse.

I don’t mind spending a bit, but wanted some guidance on whether FLIR would be useful in this role and what sort of unit I would need. I don’t think I am interested in Night vision set up unless it was some sort of monocular I can use to simply scout ahead of my path a bit.

Any advice on gear or tactics appreciated because I don’t know jack about this. I just know I prefer to travel in a way that keeps a pretty low profile. Seeing in the dark without a light seems oh so nice for that.

As I have walked more, I find it is pretty much me, the homeless/insane (and @Tom Jones) out there on foot. And I don’t care to interact with them if possible. Tom maybe.

@JodyH?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Do you need thermal or would you be satisfied with just an IR monocular? When I see FLIR I think of thermal, there is going to be big price difference.

Is this going to be a keep it in a pocket or pouch and use it to spot check things every once in a while or will you use it constantly because walking around for holding a monocular with your hand up to your eye sucks.

Just trying to understand what your requirements are, I have both but my thermal is more of a scope than monocular.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Do you need thermal or would you be satisfied with just an IR monocular? When I see FLIR I think of thermal, there is going to be big price difference.

Is this going to be a keep it in a pocket or pouch and use it to spot check things every once in a while or will you use it constantly because walking around for holding a monocular with your hand up to your eye sucks.

Just trying to understand what your requirements are, I have both but my thermal is more of a scope than monocular.

Gringop
    It will be in pocket and used for spot checks. I don't know the difference between "thermal" and IR?

Thermal is midwave or longwave IR. Consumer products are usually uncooled LWIR. Goggles are near IR and amplify reflected light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d look at the Sionyx mononculars as an affordable way to get into color night vision. I came close to buying one myself, before I found a deal on 7Bs.
    #RESIST

I was on the metro when I wrote my short response.

The term FLIR is an overused term. Technically it means forward-looking infrared, and was used to describe IR cameras on aircraft and ground vehicles. Usually these were thermal systems. These operate in the midwave or longwave IR, and detect warm or hot objects, such as people, cars, and things like that. They will give you a black and white image. Uncooled LWIR is relatively inexpensive and would work perfectly fine for your application. I don't know much about consumer systems.

Goggles, or image intensifiers, work in the near IR. These amplify reflected light, such as starlight or other light sources. Image intensifiers give that greenish appearance that we're used to seeing. Again, I don't know how much consumer systems cost, but these would probably work for your application too.

Given the choice and without knowing cost, I'd go with a thermal system. I *think* you might be able to get something for $500, but I don't know much about the consumer market. At one time there was talk of putting a low-resolution sensor on your iPhone for a couple hundred dollars, but I've never played around with it.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I was on the metro when I wrote my short response.

The term FLIR is an overused term. Technically it means forward-looking infrared, and was used to describe IR cameras on aircraft and ground vehicles. Usually these were thermal systems. These operate in the midwave or longwave IR, and detect warm or hot objects, such as people, cars, and things like that. They will give you a black and white image. Uncooled LWIR is relatively inexpensive and would work perfectly fine for your application. I don't know much about consumer systems.

Goggles, or image intensifiers, work in the near IR. These amplify reflected light, such as starlight or other light sources. Image intensifiers give that greenish appearance that we're used to seeing. Again, I don't know how much consumer systems cost, but these would probably work for your application too.

Given the choice and without knowing cost, I'd go with a thermal system. I *think* you might be able to get something for $500, but I don't know much about the consumer market. At one time there was talk of putting a low-resolution sensor on your iPhone for a couple hundred dollars, but I've never played around with it.
    Thinking about this one: https://www.flir.com/products/scout-tk/

Can be had 4-500 on Amazon.

That flir scout looks like just the ticket.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Thinking about this one: https://www.flir.com/products/scout-tk/

Can be had 4-500 on Amazon.
    That would work. Uncooled low resolution vanadium oxide sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List