Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting people to help at matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Leozinho View Post
    You laugh, but having (minimally) paid laborers to reset and paste is common in South America. And I'm told that some of the big USPSA matches in Florida that draw a lot of foreign shooters have a tough time getting them to paste because they don't do that stuff at home.
    Actually, that's exactly what brought that mind. I met a dude at SHOT from S. Africa and we chatted for a bit about the difference between matches here and there, and when I mentioned that they had low paid laborers to reset targets, I shot coffee out my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Actually, that's exactly what brought that mind. I met a dude at SHOT from S. Africa and we chatted for a bit about the difference between matches here and there, and when I mentioned that they had low paid laborers to reset targets, I shot coffee out my nose.
    Thats a very rare event here dude. Sadly.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I'm going to start hiring day laborers from in front of Home Depot to do all my taping/resetting for me.
    Just pasting and resetting? The rest of the time, he could be fetching lattes, making snacks, setting up shade, ... the possibilities are endless! The best part is that if you call him a personal assistant or subcontractor, and it would (probably) be legal to pay salary and use it as a business deduction.

"Hey Caleb, who's that?" "Oh, that's just Paco, he's resetting steel and taping targets for me.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

This is seriously the best idea I've ever had.

This is seriously the best idea I've ever had.
    Maybe he could be a gun caddy for 3 gun too. "What do you think, should I be using the 20" with optic for this stage, or the midlength with RDS?". "Sir, looking at the layout of the targets, I recommend the midlength."

Site Supporter
    Let's try to get back to the topic of getting people to help at matches.

Another problem I have seen at major matches are the tools who only tape to air paste the stage and then don't do squat after they shoot. Psychological warfare works well on those who already have narcissistic tendencies and electronic hearing protection.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

What about stage set up and take down? The local matches here rely on volunteer help for that part as well. If you end up on the slow squad you're screwed at the at the end of the match with target take down. That slow squad also tends to have the highest level of mid-match attrition so you end up with about 4 people on the last stage doing everything.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    What about stage set up and take down? The local matches here rely on volunteer help for that part as well. If you end up on the slow squad you're screwed at the at the end of the match with target take down. That slow squad also tends to have the highest level of mid-match attrition so you end up with about 4 people on the last stage doing everything.
    Make people tear down the last stage their squad shoots. Make all of the squads end on a different stage, then all the stages should get torn down as the squads finish the match.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Make people tear down the last stage their squad shoots. Make all of the squads end on a different stage, then all the stages should get torn down as the squads finish the match.
    Same at our club. During the pre-shoot briefing everyone is reminded they will break down the stage they finish on and reminded it's everyone's job to paste.

User Tag List