Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting people to help at matches.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    That's pretty rough. Usually the mockery of your peers is enough motivation.
    Worked well enough that no one got a second warning. Result ,great sucess

Sadly some details dont mock ,half of the guys just end up doing all the work while the rest sit on their camp chairs ( on which I must agree with a mate of mine on, he's of the opinion that camp chairs should be banned from IDPA)
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

We are diminished
    I'm with the "tell them they have to help" crowd. Reminding folks in an annoyed voice that they're being lazy blankety-blanks works well in my experience. Someone who consistently refuses to help simply because he thinks he's too important would get DQd and told not to come back.

I've had this happen in classes a few times. Usually, just telling someone "hey, go help" is enough. Once I had someone who basically let me know he was too cool to pick up brass, to which I replied that made him too cool to receive a graduation certificate. He was pissed, but he helped pick up brass...

I'm going to start hiring day laborers from in front of Home Depot to do all my taping/resetting for me. "Hey Caleb, who's that?" "Oh, that's just Paco, he's resetting steel and taping targets for me. Cost me 2 bucks an hour."

Gun Nuts Media, creating jobs!

My club is pretty tight on stage reset.

The pasters follow the RO and paste behind his verbal scoring. Steel gets reset/painted right away as it's pretty obvious if you missed one. Each squad's reloader guys will agree on what caliber who reloads and they p/u what they want to take home,winner gets the spoils. If I'm running the timer,scoring/batting order, I call out dudes on deck etc etc as soon as I get the score down. If not I reset far steel and p/u last dudes mags as 50% usually go into "why did i do that" mode as soon as they holster.

At the ipsc shoots, holding the grill hostage till the range is clear works pretty well.

If I was a RO and had a bad apple, I would prob quad them with the 1sttimer squad no matter skill and keep him till whenever is they get done.
    Blue Bullets Team dude

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
    If I was a RO and had a bad apple, I would prob quad them with the 1sttimer squad no matter skill and keep him till whenever is they get done.

Invite my wife to be scorekeeper.
    She cracks the whip when it comes time to tape and reset.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

We always did it with a combination of expectations (the two guys on deck were mandatory tapers/resetters) and peer pressure (the old hands would step up and go tape whatever stage they were near, and the younger guys would join in to avoid looking lazy). Seemed to work fine, but it did require a core of dedicated people and a culture of respect.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    At my local club we had to (for a variety of reasons, beyond just non-participation) limit our matches to 20 shooters + range staff (MD, RO, Scorekeeper, etc). this helped a LOT because it meant those who were motivated enough to sign up quickly for the matches are usually motivated to help out.

And yes, generally asking and doing so in a very loud, clear and non-negotiable tone helps quite a bit.

Don't be afraid to call people out during the day. Usually at the start of the match everyone's really good about taping and resetting targets, but as the day drags on, people start talking or doing other things.
    Yup. Saw that this past weekend (IDPA). One guy on our squad was a USPSA ninja of some variety. He started out on the clipboard but that duty was quickly diverted to others because he kept yelling (but imagine it in an English accent), "I'm not clairvoyant. You have to yell them out. I can't read your bloddy minds." The reality was he wasn't paying attention. The rest of the squad ALL heard every single score called out. I guess he felt you shouldn't yell out the score until he was ready to hear it. He was getting pissed as was everyone else. Anyway, he liked to talk and smoke more than he liked to paste and it was noticed by all.

Call these guys out. Shame them into pasting and helping score.

The core of our squad is pretty much the same guys each match with a few extra randoms to fill it out. We are known to move fast and generally catch up to the squad in front of us at each and every stage.

I think the thing that keeps us moving isn't just not dicking around while shooting but being organized and quick with scoring and pasting. We work as a team and generally sort of work pasting the targets and resetting targets in zones. I know I generally pick a couple of targets that are grouped close together and always go straight there. I have the targets scored, hands/fingers held up for the scorer, and pasters ready to go asap. The other guys all do the same thing. We don't play around. We just want to get back to shooting.

I'm going to start hiring day laborers from in front of Home Depot to do all my taping/resetting for me. "Hey Caleb, who's that?" "Oh, that's just Paco, he's resetting steel and taping targets for me. Cost me 2 bucks an hour."

Gun Nuts Media, creating jobs!
    You laugh, but having (minimally) paid laborers to reset and paste is common in South America. And I'm told that some of the big USPSA matches in Florida that draw a lot of foreign shooters have a tough time getting them to paste because they don't do that stuff at home.

User Tag List