Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 342pd Opinions

S&W 342pd Opinions

Hi all I m new to the forum, but have been lurking around prior to registering this morning. I have a line on a 342pd pretty much new in box for around 450.00. Guess I’m trying to get a idea good or bad from owners, what a fair price is and what to expect. I don’t much care about weight so maybe a 442 is a better option. I’ve searched the web and all I seem to find is its the best pistol out there, but everyone says recoil is terrible. I want to actually shoot this thing, and have owned a 360j, and a SP101 in 357, is recoil comparable between any of theses guns? Thanks for any and all input.

You'd be stealing it for $450.

Grab that 342 before someone else does.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I have (well, my wife has) a S&W M342PD. I also have a M442 and the Ruger SP-101 in .357 Magnum and 9x19. The M342PD has the worst felt recoil of all of them. i rather shoot -- and do -- 158-grain .357 at 1100 fps out of the Ruger than the 115-grain .38 Special at around 800 fps out of the M342PD.

$450 is less than I paid for our sample more than fifteen years ago. I would buy it, but I am not sure I would shoot it. I would likely sell it and use the proceeds to buy a M442 with no lock and cases of ammo.

I just paid 600 for one and would pay that again. They are very unpleasant to shoot but they weigh nothing and carry easily. I can’t imagine wanting to shoot 357 magnum so no reason to get the 340pd for me, I’d recommend the 342 if you feel the same since you save about an ounce and the 38 special chamber will give a tiny bit more velocity.

I shot mine the first time last weekend and the first thing I did was buy the crimson trace grips with a little bit of padding on the back strap. That bare metal is nasty.
    Last edited by P226SAOFan; 02-17-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I have (well, my wife has) a S&W M342PD. I also have a M442 and the Ruger SP-101 in .357 Magnum and 9x19. The M342PD has the worst felt recoil of all of them. i rather shoot -- and do -- 158-grain .357 at 1100 fps out of the Ruger than the 115-grain .38 Special at around 800 fps out of the M342PD.

$450 is less than I paid for our sample more than fifteen years ago. I would buy it, but I am not sure I would shoot it. I would likely sell it and use the proceeds to buy a M442 with no lock and cases of ammo.
    I’m pretty sure I am going to do what you suggest, I like shooting my guns, and don’t think having a nice light gun that I don’t want to shoot versus a Airweight that I can shoot all the time is a wise choice. I carry IWB and would probably never pocket carry enough for it to matter.

I have a 360pd which is chambered for .357 magnum. I carry it with Winchester .38 +P ammo. I shot .357 in it just to say I did. If you bought it, you could always pick a load that is more to your liking. But the price is right for that firearm.

Site Supporter
    I have a 432 which is a touch heavier but I don't find the recoil not to be manageable.

It’s a steal at that price. They are awesome to carry and miserable to shoot. It is a favorite rule 1 (have a gun) for me, but I use heavier J frames to practice with. I have shot mine enough to know it works, and that has been enough.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The only blood lost at the hands of my 342PD is my own... via the cylinder release latch while firing. It’s been a duty backup off and on for about 18 years. I still strap it on my ankle when on duty... though as an instructor - not in the field any more.

When I first started carrying it our practice ammunition was 130gr+P and we had to qualify with 30rds at 25yds just like our duty guns. Every qual (three times a year) felt like I was hit in the web of my hand with a hammer - and it was black and blue!

I had to send it back to the factory for a canted barrel shroud and it’s had some action work done by a very competent Armorer on my department. I replaced the original old-school CTC lasergrips a couple years ago with the newer low profile model because the switch was wearing out.

The story starts when I was in the academy. We had mandatory carpool groups and three or four of us stopped at a gun shop on the way back from the academy.

That shop had purchased the remaining stock from B&B Guns (of LAPD North Hollywood Shootout fame) when they went out of business. They were having a huge sale. I bought a Berretta 92FS so I could compete with it and the other recruit bought the 342PD as a backup after the academy. It was around $550.

The recruit manual said we had to disclose any firearm purchases during the academy so we waited in line to speak to the DIs... me first. I DID NOT expect the shit-storm of “I kinda don’t remember but DIs were certainly mad” that followed. Then it was her turn.

She would have been a damn good cop but failed for PT... later we found it was her (at the time undiagnosed) Multiple Sclerosis that was causing her issues In distance running. After I graduated she wanted something fun to shoot and I needed a backup so we traded for one of my 1911s the department didn’t authorize at the time. We’ve been married now for almost 16 years and that revolver means more to me than just about any other gun.

I know this doesn’t contribute much to the thread but I hear 342PD and it brings back lots of memories.

User Tag List