Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Rimz EZ Moon Clips

Site Supporter

RFI: Rimz EZ Moon Clips

Anyone in PF land using Rimz EZ moon clips? They were well reviewed at Revolverguy.com https://revolverguy.com/rimz-ez-moon-clips/

Site Supporter
    I'm literally at the range right now to try my first set out. I'll provide a report this afternoon.

Chris

I used them for years with both S&W M610 and M625 revolvers. The good is the same as the bad; they flex enough to allow the rounds to be easily removed without damage to the clip. So they are easy to load -- and it is easy to have a round be dislodged. Dropping the loaded clips with rounds in it is a sure way to lose at least one round, especially with .45 ACP brass. I like them as they are durable.
    Last edited by farscott; 02-18-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Site Supporter

Thanks!

I'm considering some for my 625. Did you use them in cold weather? I'm wondering how low temps would affect flexibility and durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I'm considering some for my 625. Did you use them in cold weather? I'm wondering how low temps would affect flexibility and durability.
    Probably not as cold as you are likely to experience. I rarely shoot when it is below 40 degrees as I have gotten used to warmer temps. That being said, I remember that these were tested with live fire in some pretty cold temps, say the teens, during the design process. My first batch of M610 Rimz was from the beta prototype run, and I remember others shooting them in colder temps. Mine are close to twenty years old and are still in great condition.

Site Supporter
    Had to end my range trip because my Bushnell TRS-25 shit the bed. It happened to be on my 635.

My view of the Rims moon clips after about 40 rounds is positive. For range duty they are a huge improvement over metal clips. I did some drop tests and found you had to drop them from more than 2ft to get a round to pop out. However, these are brand new, so that could change as they wear. Otherwise, they're fine. I would want metal clips for anything approaching speed or where they might get treated roughly, but at a square range, they're just fine. I'll toss another pack into the cart on my next Brownells order...

Chris

Site Supporter
    I bought 25 of them when they first came out (several years ago). First time out with both the M-625 and my old M25-2, they functioned alright but by the end of a hour or so of shooting, half of them had shit themselves. The little petals broke off or the ring itself cracked. I was under whelmed.

In the intervening years they may well have improved the plastic they are using. The reports above would seem to indicate that to be possible. Personally, I came to grips with using metal Moonclips so long ago (got all the loading and unloading tools necessary) they just aren't that much bother for me.

YMMV,
    Dave

I had some of these clips a while back for a really limited Performance Center gun in .40 (which I don't remember the model for) and I remember I had issues with certain brands of brass just falling out of the clips. I wonder if that's only a problem with .40/10mm brass or if they are still sensitive to brass.

Site Supporter

Order placed

Thanks for the feedback. I figure they're worth a try. I ordered 10 for my 625. Price was $34.50 with shipping included. I will supplement after some use. From the Big Empty, ELN.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I figure they're worth a try. I ordered 10 for my 625. Price was $34.50 with shipping included. I will supplement after some use. From the Big Empty, ELN.
    Check Brownells next time. They're $7/5 + Shipping there with my dealer discount, but normal price is $9/5. Either way, much cheaper than $34.50/10.

Chris

User Tag List