Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pocket knife coming out when clearing cover garment

I re-sculpted my CRKT clip in a bench vise. I think it will work. Thanks for all of the input.

I had a Kershaw assisted opening knife come open in my front pocket. Sold it the next day.

I carry a pretty large folding knife, a Spyderco C07. It is really slim and I usually don't have a tucked in shirt so I usually carry it clipped on the rear of my pants/shorts near the small of my back, but slightly to the right. I have carried this knife daily for probably 25 years and haven't lost it yet.

If your primary concern is what happens to your clip knife when clearing a cover garment perhaps you should carry the knife elsewhere. Depending on what the intended uses for that knife are I can make an argument that you would be better served if it was carried away from your strong side.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    If your primary concern is what happens to your clip knife when clearing a cover garment perhaps you should carry the knife elsewhere. Depending on what the intended uses for that knife are I can make an argument that you would be better served if it was carried away from your strong side.
    Noted. The other real estate is pretty well used up and I am committed to trying to find a solution that does not cause me to relearn a habit. That's my first choice, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I re-sculpted my CRKT clip in a bench vise. I think it will work. Thanks for all of the input.

I had a Kershaw assisted opening knife come open in my front pocket. Sold it the next day.
    Yup, that's why I no longer have any interest in assisted opening knives.

I see that the OP’s situation has been resolved, but I do have some thoughts, for future readers, based upon carrying clipped-in knives since the Eighties. I have lost several clipped-in knives, over time, including my Spyderco Mariner, but still have my first Spyderco Police.

No solution is fool-proof. When I think I have the problem solved, well, I will find a way to elevate my level of foolishness beyond the proof-tested level.

Carrying the knife on the side opposite the firearm can solve solve some problems, but cause or worsen other problems. My longest-carried daily-carry knife has always been a lefty knife, and I still normally carry the primary handgun in the 0200-0330 area. (I am left-handed, but right-armed, so use some weapons more naturally lefty, and other more naturally righty.)

An OWB holster will tend to keep the outer garment away from the pocket clip, if the knife and holsters are on the same side. I have yet to default to AIWB carry, usually carrying OWB, which protects a knife clipped into the right front pocket. (I used to use behind-the-hip IWB, much/most of the time, but as my right shoulder has aged, favor keeping my weapons closer to the front, these days.)

Hems, in some cover garments, snag worse than others. Some pocket clips snag worse than others. Some combinations of these two factors are absolutely foolish, and others are nearly fool-proof. One of my favored cover garments falls into the absolutely snag-prone category, so I have to allow for it.

Pocket clip tension is a thing. The shape and tension of the clips on my Tarani Masters Karambits (pre-5.11, made by Blade-Tech for the original Karambit dot com) are as good as anything I have used, but I do not know if this applies to newer 5.11 Tarani Karambits.

Trousers design matters. The VertX trousers I am wearing, at this moment, have a measurement, from the lower edge of the front pocket, to the top of the cargo pocket, that results in the seam at the top of the cargo pocket acting to shield the lower extremity of the pocket clip. Most things moving along/across the pocket clip will be unable to snag the tip of the clip, including that vest, mentioned above, that tries to snag everything. Most clips tend to be similar in length, but this particular knife is a Crawford Custom Knives Kasper folder.

Tip-down carry is less likely to result in self-inflicted injuries, BUT, if carrying tip-down, never reach into a pocket, past a tip-down clipped-in knife. (Paul Gomez, himself, helped me stop the bleeding, and applied the bandage, ECQC, 2005-ish.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Wear shorter shirts, change pockets, or getting a better designed clip.

Somewhat related, I stopped carring a pocket knife. ll my expansive benchmades and zero tolerance knives mostly stay in the safe now. Instead I slip a Leatherman wave into the little coin pocket on the right side. The knife on it is plenty good enough for everyday task and it has tons of other uses too.

Of course, I often have a a small fixed blade IWB so I have that if needing a bigger blade.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    It's tight, but has an outward bend at the bottom...
    Don't be afraid to modify the clip to suit your needs. Just remove the clip and then give it a gentle tweak. Then try it again.

I agree with those saying to find a better clip or a knife with a better one. I have a late 90’s Spyderco Civilian that would dump when clearing a concealing shirt. Been using Emerson for daily carry (SOCFK and M-Wave) since about 2003 and have never had that issue.

User Tag List