Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pocket knife coming out when clearing cover garment

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have found that knives clipped to back pockets are much more likely to stab me when they come open accidentally as well as more likely to damage whatever chair, car seat, etc. in which I may sit.
    Interesting. I always put the blade side against the edge of my pocket when I carried that way (and still do it even in the front) but, they did eventually wear a hole in the pocket.

Maybe a nice kydex sheath would work for the OP. Get rid of the clip altogether.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Interesting. I always put the blade side against the edge of my pocket when I carried that way (and still do it even in the front) but, they did eventually wear a hole in the pocket.

Maybe a nice kydex sheath would work for the OP. Get rid of the clip altogether.
    I do something similar. The vast majority of my knives are tip up, which I prefer, and which I normally carry very close to the back edge of the front pocket, making it impossible for them to open accidentally. So, on one of the few occasions when I took one of these knives and put it up against the front edge of the back pocket, it did not go well.

I do something similar. The vast majority of my knives are tip up, which I prefer, and which I normally carry very close to the back edge of the front pocket, making it impossible for them to open accidentally. So, on one of the few occasions when I took one of these knives and put it up against the front edge of the back pocket, it did not go well.
    If you don't mind me asking, what knife was it? Action type?

Site Supporter
    If you don't mind me asking, what knife was it? Action type?
    The specific knife was a Masters of Defense Michael Janich liner lock knife that I carried frequently around 1999-2000. The liner lock did little to hold the blade closed, and without the blade against the edge of the pocket, the knife worked its way open when I shoved something else in the back pocket.

I currently carry either Waved Spyderco Delicas and Enduras, or Cold Steel Storm Clouds and Recon 1, all of which are much better at staying closed when they need to stay closed.

The specific knife was a Masters of Defense Michael Janich liner lock knife that I carried frequently around 1999-2000. The liner lock did little to hold the blade closed, and without the blade against the edge of the pocket, the knife worked its way open when I shoved something else in the back pocket.

I currently carry either Waved Spyderco Delicas and Enduras, or Cold Steel Storm Clouds and Recon 1, all of which are much better at staying closed when they need to stay closed.
    I've had some knives with that same characteristic and reached the conclusion I needed something more safe as well...maybe there's a place for a thin "pocket holster" for knives?

Site Supporter
    I've had some knives with that same characteristic and reached the conclusion I needed something more safe as well...maybe there's a place for a thin "pocket holster" for knives?
    I believe some have been made at various times but I don't know that any have caught on. I have found that better knife designs carried in a safer way is a better solution.

The problem with any liner lock is that the corner of the lock bar closest to the cutting edge of the blade will experience significant wear and tear, eventually failing to hold the knife open. Frame locks are supposed to reduce the problem, but will eventually experience the same issue, in addition to interference from the lock bar to opening the knife. I have come to prefer rocker bar locks and ball bearing locks, which protect my fingers when open and have a reasonably strong bias towards closure when closed.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for the question.

I carry a basic CRKT folder to serve boxcutter duty every day. I carry it on it's clip in my strong side front pocket.

When clearing my cover garment for a draw, I find that the knife frequently gets flipped out on to the ground.

How do you guys carry your folder to prevent this? (Or perhaps I should look for a different type of clip?)

Also, if you are aware of a thread that addresses this, please link it.
    (My search didn't easily turn anything up)
    If Amazon went to a “pull to open” box design, knife sales would probably plummet.

My Spyderco and light ride in my left front pocket, because while slower to access there, they are secure and don’t advertise their presence.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I carry slip-joint knives in the pocket so no clip to catch. My belt-mounted support side appendix Bowie-pattern CRKT Minimalist has never been an issue. Nor has my ASP Key Defender with QD keyring tucked into my waistband support-side appendix.

If you guys would just switch to shooting left handed and carrying the knife on the right side...

I was thinking that losing the knife on drawing never happened to me and then I realized...
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I have found that knives clipped to back pockets are much more likely to stab me when they come open accidentally as well as more likely to damage whatever chair, car seat, etc. in which I may sit.
    The only time I've a knife open up in my pocket, was in a back pocket. Ruined a pair of pants but didn't stick me.

CRKT clips benefit from a little adjustment with pliers. Mine now clips much more securely than it did from the factory.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List