Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocket knife coming out when clearing cover garment

Pocket knife coming out when clearing cover garment

Not sure if this is the right place for the question.

I carry a basic CRKT folder to serve boxcutter duty every day. I carry it on it's clip in my strong side front pocket.

When clearing my cover garment for a draw, I find that the knife frequently gets flipped out on to the ground.

How do you guys carry your folder to prevent this? (Or perhaps I should look for a different type of clip?)

Also, if you are aware of a thread that addresses this, please link it.
    (My search didn't easily turn anything up)

Site Supporter
    In my limited experience, catching the clip, be it a knife, flashlight, pen, etc is simply par for the course. Some clips are better than other and some cover garments are better than other i.e. I had less issues with a closed front garment.

As such, I simply put the knife in my pocket. If your light is small enough, that can be done as well or you can put it on the belt line in any number of carriers. Frankly, another reason I carry my knife with a clip in my pocket the vast majority of the time is that I do not wish to tell those who pay attention that I am carrying a knife.

FWIW

My shurfire EDCL2-T frequently ends up on my daughter's shoes with the pocket clip caught in the laces when I'm carrying her in my arms. Enough so that I'm passively looking for a replacement clip for it, I feel your pain.

Site Supporter
    MXG Gear makes aftermarket pocket clips for Spyderco and a variety of other knife brands. Most of my Delicas have their clips. Their black clips are epoxy powder coated rather than painted, so the color will not come off. I prefer the deep carry clip for dress slacks, but prefer the standard clip for jeans, since the deep carry clip will catch the screws on the lip of a jeans pocket during a draw.

Cold Steel pocket clips are particularly tight, to the point where I have had to loosen them on my non carbon fiber Cold Steel knives. Even loosened, those knives are not going anywhere once clipped to a pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I've had it happen with seat belts and such but never when pulling up my shirt to draw...and I have never purchased an aftermarket clip for my folders.

There are several companies that specialize in deeper carry clips as alluded to above, however.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    When clearing my cover garment for a draw, I find that the knife frequently gets flipped out on to the ground.

How do you guys carry your folder to prevent this? (Or perhaps I should look for a different type of clip?)
    Sometimes you have to adjust which pocket it is clipped to.

I quit carrying a clipped on folder for this reason and because they tore up my pockets. And the clip scratched finishes on cars and other things I was leaning against. And the clip got caught on something else and ejected the knife/flashlight from the pocket. I just got sick of it.

My solution was to just drop it in the pocket. Same for flashlight. It hasn't been a problem for pretty much any task.

I am actually wondering why the hell clipped to pocket anything became the fashion.

I've never had that happen, but if it did that would be a dealbreaker. I stopped using Surefire lights because the pocket clips kept catching on stuff and bending.

I want my knife to stay in my pocket until I need it. That includes garment-clearing, grappling, falling etc.

Are you clearing for AIWB or Strong Side carry?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I've never had that happen, but if it did that would be a dealbreaker. I stopped using Surefire lights because the pocket clips kept catching on stuff and bending.

I want my knife to stay in my pocket until I need it. That includes garment-clearing, grappling, falling etc.

Are you clearing for AIWB or Strong Side carry?
    Mainly AIWB. I have had it happen with hoodies, button shirts not tucked in and two kinds of jackets.

I have also had it happen with strong side carry and a hoodie.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Mainly AIWB. I have had it happen with hoodies, button shirts not tucked in and two kinds of jackets.

I have also had it happen with strong side carry and a hoodie.
    Something is wrong with that knife. Is it a loose clip?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Something is wrong with that knife. Is it a loose clip?
    It's tight, but has an outward bend at the bottom.

Time for a boxcutter with a different clip, I guess.

User Tag List