Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Increased Split Times Using Dry Fire Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I also don’t see any USPSA GMs or Ms using it, recommending it, advocating it, or anything. That’s usually a clue.
    That's my experience as well. Plenty of random people on gun forums extoll the virtues of various types of lasers for dry fire, whether a cheap bore sight unit, mantis x or whatever. But I don't actually know of anyone in real life or virtual who's burning it down because of them. But I am aware of many folks who attribute gains to the dry fire books of Stoeger, Anderson and Seeklander.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    That's my experience as well. Plenty of random people on gun forums extoll the virtues of various types of lasers for dry fire, whether a cheap bore sight unit, mantis x or whatever. But I don't actually know of anyone in real life or virtual who's burning it down because of them. But I am aware of many folks who attribute gains to the dry fire books of Stoeger, Anderson and Seeklander.
    The MantisX is about the only one of those tools that I could see being ultimately useful in some regards. In general, you don’t really need any of those tools in order to get measurably better in dryfire. Like, at all. Stoeger, Anderson, and Seeklander all answer questions all the time on whether these tools are helpful or not and the answer is always one of two things:

1.) No, it’s almost no help or isn’t actually useful

2.) I’ve never used it because I just haven’t or it’s obviously not going to provide a benefit.

If you want to get all LASR’y with your bad self, I’m not here to stop you. I literally couldn’t care less. I’m just saying that it’s probably nowhere near as beneficial per dollar spent on it than other far more valuable resources like ammo or books or even a class.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Turns out you can do all of these. It isn’t zero sum. Also, while I don’t personally care who uses it as long as I get a benefit in my own training, seeklander and some others use CoolFire.

reminder. OP never said he needed lasr to get better. He never said splits are his only concern. Never said it’s either LASR or live fire. He just wanted to know about splits on his resetting trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    seeklander and some others *are paid to* use CoolFire.

Banned
    I dgaf who uses what, and I didn’t make an argument from authority here. Others did.

i use what I think will benefit me. I use lasr and CoolFire because they are benefitting me, along with shooting matches and getting instruction. Others are free to do the same, or not. I just think it’s lame to jump in a thread and opine about things that aren’t responsive to the op’s concern.

Also, I don’t dig the altered quote of mine without indicating alteration.

seeklander gets paid to sell his dryfire book. So does Stoeger. They also make money from classes. So what? Use what works for you. Discard the rest.

Herp derp i misquote people and don’t indicate the edit
    {altered by Medusa, he didn’t actually say this, just illustrating a point}
    Last edited by Medusa; 02-19-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Banned
    consolidated
    Last edited by Medusa; 02-19-2020 at 04:54 PM.

I also found my times with LASR and another similar app to be slower than ny normal dry fire times. I think this is due to the frame rate of the camera. If a camera has a frame rate of 20 fps, it will likely be .05s off. I also get a lot of failures to pick up the laser shot, which lead to me just giving up on using the apps in my practice. I have a feeling it has to do with how your phones camera is set up or the camera hardware.

+3

Trying to speed up splits when there's no recoil to speak of is a colossal waste of dry fire time.

Dry fire isn't the time to work on your splits. Yeah, some dry fire drills ask/suggest you simulate pressing the trigger. Getting fast splits isn't the point of those drills.

Working on splits at all is not even that productive unless you've harvested all the low hanging fruit that we all have.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I also found my times with LASR and another similar app to be slower than ny normal dry fire times. I think this is due to the frame rate of the camera. If a camera has a frame rate of 20 fps, it will likely be .05s off. I also get a lot of failures to pick up the laser shot, which lead to me just giving up on using the apps in my practice. I have a feeling it has to do with how your phones camera is set up or the camera hardware.

I use a dedicated camera with a high fps and a gaming laptop so it’ll work with recoil devices.

User Tag List