Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Increased Split Times Using Dry Fire Trigger

Increased Split Times Using Dry Fire Trigger

Iposted this on M4C and didn't get response, should have posted here first.

I just bought a laptop to use with a LASR app

I'm using a Glock 17/22 with a dry-fire reset trigger. It is not a 17R, its one that I copied from one of the first reset triggers for Glocks on one of our force simulators).

Problem is that my splits are about .03 to .06 slower than live-fire - .23 to .27 and I usually go around .19 -.20 on the range going to reset, not fully out.

This is my first time timing myself on the reset trigger that requires me to go full out, it feels like the trigger isn't returning fast enough, or, on the other hand maybe I'm just getting old.

Does anyone else using a dry fire trigger in an actual glock have this problem?

My gut feeling, seeing this thread be empty on two different sites, is that nobody else uses that app to be able to relate.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I use the app but with hammer fired berettas. My splits with CoolFire are about what they are irl, pretty much exact. I’ve never measured irl da splits because they are not dao berettas. In general my dao splits are about .1 to .08 slower.

I didn’t post because i don’t use glocks.

I definitely have 0 experience with that app. I would just not use it as it’s probably not giving you any benefit in dryfire and you could be using your time better doing dryfire in other ways.

I would strongly recommend picking up either Ben Stoeger’s DryFire Reloaded book or Steve Anderson’s Refinement and Repetition book and getting to work that way. Or heck, buy both. Both are on Amazon through the link at the top for $27/piece or less. They’re far and away more valuable and useful than your laser training device.

As a side note, split times are rather high hanging fruit of you’re looking at improving speed unless you’re splitting at 0.50 seconds or slower. If you’re splitting at 0.20 or better, you’ve got lots of other low hanging fruit you could improve on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I definitely have 0 experience with that app. I would just not use it as it’s probably not giving you any benefit in dryfire and you could be using your time better doing dryfire in other ways.

I would strongly recommend picking up either Ben Stoeger’s DryFire Reloaded book or Steve Anderson’s Refinement and Repetition book and getting to work that way. Or heck, buy both. Both are on Amazon through the link at the top for $27/piece or less. They’re far and away more valuable and useful than your laser training device.
    respectfully, what ? Why would he give up the program or gain no dry fire benefit because his resetting trigger is, maybe, slow? One can use Stoeger’s books with the app, or one can do some non tracked dry fire and some that is tracked, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    respectfully, what ? Why would he give up the program or gain no dry fire benefit because his resetting trigger is, maybe, slow? One can use Stoeger’s books with the app, or one can do some non tracked dry fire and some that is tracked, so...
    Because it’s not necessary nor is it really helping as much as they might think. They’re free to do whatever they want with what they’ve spent their money on, so if they want to continue using it, go nuts I suppose.

There’s no tool that you can use in dryfire that will perfectly replicate live fire apart from simply doing live fire. There’s a time and place for everything. Use dryfire to really work on the valuable things you can do in that space and not worry about replicating the things you can only do in live fire in dryfire.

If you want to work on getting better splits, do the doubles drill in live fire. You’ll find that grip is far and away the thing that dictates that more than the action of your trigger. If you wanna get better splits while not spending money on ammo...well, let’s just say the ammo cost is totally worth it in that context and you’re far better off worrying about getting faster in other aspects of shooting than improving split times.

Banned
    How familiar are you with the app or his resetting trigger? How much have you used either ?

no one is saying don’t do live fire. But to dismiss an entire facet of training (get rid of LASR, you’re getting no benefit) on the evidence the op has provided seems arbitrary and condescending. There’s literally no reason you can’t use a dry fire book with LASR.

I still shoot a lot of ammo, 20,000 rounds last year, but I get a benefit from LASR and it has its place. It seems odd to suggest he abandon LASR when his issue seems to be the reset on his resetting trigger. But hey, go nuts I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    How familiar are you with the app or his resetting trigger? How much have you used either ?

no one is saying don’t do live fire. But to dismiss an entire facet of training (get rid of LASR, you’re getting no benefit) on the evidence the op has provided seems arbitrary and condescending. There’s literally no reason you can’t use a dry fire book with LASR.

I still shoot a lot of ammo, 20,000 rounds last year, but I get a benefit from LASR and it has its place. It seems odd to suggest he abandon LASR when his issue seems to be the reset on his resetting trigger. But hey, go nuts I suppose.
    I’m not being condescending, or at least that wasn’t my intention.

I’ve also stated that I haven’t used the LASR, and fully admitted that I have no experience with it. I also don’t see any USPSA GMs or Ms using it, recommending it, advocating it, or anything. That’s usually a clue. I also stated that if he really wanted to continue using it, that he was fully free to do so, hence the “go nuts”.

I’ll continue to reiterate my main point since you keep completely missing that, which is, splits aren’t the speed gain that he should be chasing. If splits aren’t the speed gain that he should be chasing, then there’s a good chance the LASR is a moot point as there’s far better low hanging fruit to improve upon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I’m not being condescending, or at least that wasn’t my intention.

I’ve also stated that I haven’t used the LASR, and fully admitted that I have no experience with it. I also don’t see any USPSA GMs or Ms using it, recommending it, advocating it, or anything. That’s usually a clue. I also stated that if he really wanted to continue using it, that he was fully free to do so, hence the “go nuts”.

I’ll continue to reiterate my main point since you keep completely missing that, which is, splits aren’t the speed gain that he should be chasing. If splits aren’t the speed gain that he should be chasing, then there’s a good chance the LASR is a moot point as there’s far better low hanging fruit to improve upon.
    The point you’re missing is he asked a narrow question about a narrow problem. Your “solution” was a suggestion to discard the app, something he didn’t even complain about.

I also don’t believe that what GM or M class shooters do or don’t do is the be all end all of training. I regularly take instruction from a GM and an M class shooter, but I also do other stuff that helps me. The M class shooter remarked on my improvement, and I can see it in drill times and results, so. Sometimes things can help lower class competitors that maybe the higher class ones don’t need. I don’t know. I just work at it.

the same has been my experience in other sports. Anyone’s mileage may vary.

User Tag List