Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Post-HB961 Suppressor Quest

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I would probably want the Vox S for 11.5” 556 duty and I’ve got both cans.
    Why the S over the K for the short 5.56?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Why the S over the K for the short 5.56?
    Short 5.56 is LOUD. Lot more pressure than even .300BO supers. Plus, the Vox S is light and strong so you’re not adding a lot more weight.
    #RESIST

Short 5.56 is LOUD. Lot more pressure than even .300BO supers. Plus, the Vox S is light and strong so you’re not adding a lot more weight.
    I wish I had more experience with suppressors. Are you talking about pressure in the chamber and from the muzzle or back pressure resulting in gas to the face? I’m more concerned with excessive gas to the face than pure decibel numbers. I don’t expect either can to be truly hearing safe with 5.56 out of a barrel that short.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Short 5.56 is LOUD.
    If db reduction was the goal then the YHM Turbo K is significantly quieter than the Vox K on 5.56, and I can't imagine the Vox S would be appreciably better since it's still a .30cal can. Obviously doesn't fit the criteria for shooting on both a Rattler and 11.5" 5.56, though.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If db reduction was the goal then the YHM Turbo K is significantly quieter than the Vox K on 5.56, and I can't imagine the Vox S would be appreciably better since it's still a .30cal can. Obviously doesn't fit the criteria for shooting on both a Rattler and 11.5" 5.56, though.

I hadn’t even thought about the differences between dB levels at the muzzle and at the ear. Maybe I’ll just stick with the original plan of a Turbo for the short 5.56 and a Vox for larger caliber guns.

I hadn’t even thought about the differences between dB levels at the muzzle and at the ear. Maybe I’ll just stick with the original plan of a Turbo for the short 5.56 and a Vox for larger caliber guns.
    I've always had a thing for 12.5" SBRs, and have a really bad thoughts in my head about building out a 12.5" upper just to put my AEM-5 on it.

The AEM-4 would work on the 11.5" if you want to flex on your SRT and their M4-2000 cans, btw.

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I wish I had more experience with suppressors. Are you talking about pressure in the chamber and from the muzzle or back pressure resulting in gas to the face? I’m more concerned with excessive gas to the face than pure decibel numbers. I don’t expect either can to be truly hearing safe with 5.56 out of a barrel that short.
    Higher overall chamber pressure. Gas to the face can easily be alleviated with an adjustable gas block.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I've always had a thing for 12.5" SBRs, and have a really bad thoughts in my head about building out a 12.5" upper just to put my AEM-5 on it.

The AEM-4 would work on the 11.5" if you want to flex on your SRT and their M4-2000 cans, btw.

Haha. I’m not hear to flex on anyone. Plus, on P-F, no matter how hard I flex I’ll still be one of the poors. The 12.5” guns are intriguing though. The velocity gains from and 11.5” barrel are impressive compared to the gains going from 10.5” to 11.5”. Sadly, NM law limits pistol barrels to 12” so I’d lose some of the legal benefits of an 11.5” AR pistol.

Higher overall chamber pressure. Gas to the face can easily be alleviated with an adjustable gas block.
    I’m not interested in an aftermarket adjustable gas block. I view them as potential failure points I’d be adding to the gun.

I’m not interested in an aftermarket adjustable gas block. I view them as potential failure points I’d be adding to the gun.
    You can just set it to barely moderate the gas and forget it. Or you can dick around with buffer weights and maybe install an AR gas vent. I've done all three; I prefer adjustable gas blocks; less noise, less recoil, easily tunable to ammo and cans.
    #RESIST

FYI, out of jail about 4.5 months.

User Tag List