Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
The only blood lost at the hands of my 342PD is my own... via the cylinder release latch while firing. It’s been a duty backup off and on for about 18 years. I still strap it on my ankle when on duty... though as an instructor - not in the field any more.

When I first started carrying it our practice ammunition was 130gr+P and we had to qualify with 30rds at 25yds just like our duty guns. Every qual (three times a year) felt like I was hit in the web of my hand with a hammer - and it was black and blue!

I had to send it back to the factory for a canted barrel shroud and it’s had some action work done by a very competent Armorer on my department. I replaced the original old-school CTC lasergrips a couple years ago with the newer low profile model because the switch was wearing out.

The story starts when I was in the academy. We had mandatory carpool groups and three or four of us stopped at a gun shop on the way back from the academy.

That shop had purchased the remaining stock from B&B Guns (of LAPD North Hollywood Shootout fame) when they went out of business. They were having a huge sale. I bought a Berretta 92FS so I could compete with it and the other recruit bought the 342PD as a backup after the academy. It was around $550.

The recruit manual said we had to disclose any firearm purchases during the academy so we waited in line to speak to the DIs... me first. I DID NOT expect the shit-storm of “I kinda don’t remember but DIs were certainly mad” that followed. Then it was her turn.

She would have been a damn good cop but failed for PT... later we found it was her (at the time undiagnosed) Multiple Sclerosis that was causing her issues In distance running. After I graduated she wanted something fun to shoot and I needed a backup so we traded for one of my 1911s the department didn’t authorize at the time. We’ve been married now for almost 16 years and that revolver means more to me than just about any other gun.

I know this doesn’t contribute much to the thread but I hear 342PD and it brings back lots of memories.
Wow, great story. I could only be so lucky to have a sentimental attachment to one of my guns. Thank you for commenting in my thread, maybe I’ll keep the 342 after all.