Thread: Price watching software

Price watching software

You know how sometimes you see a thing on sale, and you procrastinate, and then when you go back to buy it the sale is over and it’s back up to full retail, but now you can’t bring yourself to buy it because you just know it’ll eventually go back on sale?

There has to be a website or app for that, no? Something where you can enter a product number or a web address and it’ll alert you with an email or something when the thing goes back on sale?

Anyone know of something like this?

I’m familiar with google shopping search results, and Honey, and maybe a couple of other similar, but that’s not exactly what I’m looking for. The items I’m interested in are often single-source like Husky tools at Home Depot, certain items from Rockler woodworking, house brand stuff at Brownells, etc.

Think for yourself. Question authority.

There is a site called 'camelcamelcamel.com' that tracks/alerts prices on Amazon.

'But I'm interested in Rockler, Husky, and Brownells'!

I just looked and Rockler, Husky, and Brownells all sell on amazon. Brownells is obviously going to be a tiny subset, but Rockler had quite a bunch of stuff.

I have also noticed that for things sold by many vendors, there is non-trivial correlation between the Amazon price and the price at homedepot.com, lowes.com, walmart.com, target.com, etc. I assume they have automated processes to watch the competition and react accordingly.

It would be awesome if the camelcamelcamel idea could be expanded across vendors, sort of like ammoseek does, but with alerting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    ok, so maybe I thought I was familiar with them, but am not. My understanding of Honey when I used it previously was that it told me if there is *currently* a better price than something I'm looking at in my browser, not that it would alert me when particular item went on sale.

Is this not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    There is a site called 'camelcamelcamel.com' that tracks/alerts prices on Amazon.

'But I'm interested in Rockler, Husky, and Brownells'!

I just looked and Rockler, Husky, and Brownells all sell on amazon.
    I've used them in the past, but I understand that amazon has been doing things to make it more difficult for them.

Plus, while Husky may be sold on Amazon, it's not really priced competitively all the time. One example...

Husky Extra Deep 46 in. 9-Drawer Mobile Workbench $548 on Amazon

Husky 46 in. W 9-Drawer, Deep Tool Chest Mobile Workbench in Gloss Black with Hardwood Top $398 at Home Depot

that item happens to be one in question that was on sale at HD for $298 a couple of weeks ago, and is now back up to $398. I don't mind waiting, but I'd rather not have to keep checking.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    ok, so maybe I thought I was familiar with them, but am not. My understanding of Honey when I used it previously was that it told me if there is *currently* a better price than something I'm looking at in my browser, not that it would alert me when particular item went on sale.

Is this not the case?
    I haven't used it myself but I believe their droplist function will do what you're looking for.

I have a couple of tools and an airless sprayer I need to pick up. I'm going to test this out with Lowes and see what happens.

Edit: Apparently this only works with online stores that have their applet installed. Lowes is not one of those companies.
    Last edited by MGW; 02-17-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List