Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Les Bauer BOSS

Les Baer BOSS

Anyone have one? Thoughts, good or bad.
    For some reason this particular pistol makes me want to take it home to meet Mom.
    Maybe it's just the hard chrome......, I just don't know.
    I don't currently have a 5" all steel 1911, maybe that's just reason enough.
    Last edited by wvincent; 02-17-2020 at 01:02 AM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Anyone have one? Thoughts, good or bad.
    For some reason this particular pistol makes me want to take it home to meet Mom.
    Maybe it's just the hard chrome......, I just don't know.
    I don't currently have a 5" all steel 1911, maybe that's just reason enough.

Had 6 of his pistol at the same time (non where 9mm)
    The Boss is just a Premier II with a fiber optic front sight & 2 tone finish.

Go for it ... he builds very tight and accurate pistols that function well in 45 Caliber.. never owned a 9mm 1911.
    I had the 1 1/2" upgrade on all of mine and never had any problems.

They ran just as good as my Wilson Combats , Nighthawks , Ed Brown and Bob Marvel 1911's

I’ve had a couple Les Baers. Neither of them ran well. I also got to experience the legendary (terrible) customer service that Les is known for.

There are few things that look better than a well-worn blued Les Baer 1911, but I won’t have another.

There are also issues with the way they fit their barrels that will cause problems in higher round-count guns.

@StraitR has the best looking LB Thunder Ranch I’ve seen, and I don’t believe it’s given him any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I’ve had a couple Les Baers. Neither of them ran well. I also got to experience the legendary (terrible) customer service that Les is known for.

There are few things that look better than a well-worn blued Les Baer 1911, but I won’t have another.

There are also issues with the way they fit their barrels that will cause problems in higher round-count guns.

@StraitR has the best looking LB Thunder Ranch I’ve seen, and I don’t believe it’s given him any problems.
    Yeah, I've heard that before. Not sure I want to deal with that if have one with "issues". That's the one thing that held me back from hitting the "buy it now" on Saturday night.

I also really have to wonder if the "tight fit" is really all that.

I realize that sometimes shit happens with pistols, and that they need to be repaired/fixed. I just don't want the dreaded phone call to be any worse than it has to be.
    Last edited by wvincent; 02-17-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

Site Supporter
    As noted, the Boss is just a PII with FO front sight, different finish and grips.

Les Baer 5” 45’s are accurate and generally run well. I have two, a fixed sight DLC coated and an adjustable sight version.

IME The older guns are a little better fitted than the newer IA made guns. They were great guns when they were in the niche currently occupied by Dan Wesson. Les has raised prices to match other semi custom guns without upping the fit and finish so I likely won’t buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As noted, the Boss is just a PII with FO front sight, different finish and grips.

Les Baer 5” 45’s are accurate and generally run well. I have two, a fixed sight DLC coated and an adjustable sight version.

IME The older guns are a little better fitted than the newer IA made guns. They were great guns when they were in the niche currently occupied by Dan Wesson. Les has raised prices to match other semi custom guns without upping the fit and finish so I likely won’t buy a new one.
    Great point ..mine where made over 12 years ago.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Great point ..mine where made over 12 years ago.
    1995 and 2000 here.

I had an early 2000s Premier II, pretty similar to the BOSS. It was a really nice pistol, very accurate, very tight, plenty reliable. I had a batch of out of spec reloads that it wouldn't chamber because there was a little bit of polymer jacked shaved up around the case mouth (my fault for making bad ammo). But other than that I never recall it malfunctioning and I was pretty negligent with cleaning.

A Baer BOSS looks like it's running $2500'ish.

Alchemy Prime starts at $2595. For 95 bucks more you're going to get a hell of a lot better gun.

None of the bullshit fitting issues...Baer files the barrels so the fit is close, and then hammers the barrel into place. There is nothing about that, that God or most importantly JMB, intended. They set the feet up at almost 90-degree angles and it causes them to break off at higher mileage. The hood tends to get battered pretty hard as well. Sure the lockup is "tight", because they didn't fit it, they just hammered the square peg round'ish.

Alchemy actually fits their barrels (and every thing else) properly.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A Baer BOSS looks like it's running $2500'ish.

Alchemy Prime starts at $2595. For 95 bucks more you're going to get a hell of a lot better gun.

None of the bullshit fitting issues...Baer files the barrels so the fit is close, and then hammers the barrel into place. There is nothing about that, that God or most importantly JMB, intended. They set the feet up at almost 90-degree angles and it causes them to break off at higher mileage. The hood tends to get battered pretty hard as well. Sure the lockup is "tight", because they didn't fit it, they just hammered the square peg round'ish.

Alchemy actually fits their barrels (and every thing else) properly.
    Dude, get the fuck out my head, right now!!
    I was just over on the Alchemy website as you were posting this.
    I really, really like what they are offering.
    2 things holding me up from ordering a Prime right now: 1. For some strange reason, I have it in my head that I want a Bomar type rear sight, and they don't offer it. 2. Trying to decide between FO front or gold bead.

I specced out a prime the way I want it, blued slide, hard chrome receiver, short trigger, and came out just a hair over 3 grand, which is still in the budget.

I came back to the 1911 type via the STI Staccato, which has really worked out so far.
    This 5" all steel .45ACP, two tone is a want gun. I hit some personal and work goals last year, so this is my "bonus" to myself.

I'm not a collector or a "fondler", this is going to be shot and carried.

ETA: After a bit of searching, it appears that a lot of Baer's end up at Alchemy for "work". Thinking maybe I should just skip Baer's and go straight to Alchemy. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck.
    Last edited by wvincent; 02-17-2020 at 01:43 PM.

User Tag List