Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Les Bauer BOSS

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Given the option, I will take a countersunk slide stop, even though I don't believe the standard design has ever caused me a problem. I have felt them move before but I don't put my finger along the frame anymore so I don't think I'm at risk of issues... but if I have the option for the countersink I'll take it.

People with more credibility than me swear by FO front sights and don't have any problems with them.

I have personally seen about half a dozen launch downrange and won't use them on anything I expect to rely on.

In a course I remember Ken Hackathon saying that the Gold bead was his personal favourite front sight. I have never tried one but good enough for the chief, good enough for me.
    I had my doubt's about FO when I grabbed that Staccato. Actually, first time ever I haven't immediately switched to tritium. I actually kind of like the performance of them. Need to get a couple more thousand rounds through it before I'm totally sold.

I am going to go gold bead on this though, give me a point of comparison. Plus, Ken Hackathon is usually square on on those things.

Some one asked me why I didn't just buy a Staccato P Duo and put on a red dot, best answer I had was "this isn't that kind of pistol, this is my old man gun"
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

I don’t spec countersinking the frame for the slide stop anymore. I don’t think making the frame thinner where it supports the pin is worth it

Site Supporter
    Well then...there goes the order and now for the wait.

Not for a Baer. For an Alchemy Prime in 9mm, government model, gold bead sight and blued.

The highest form of enabling y'all.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

This is the best way this thread could have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

Not for a Baer. For an Alchemy Prime in 9mm, government model, gold bead sight and blued.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    This is the best way this thread could have gone.
    Right?

Vending Machine Operator
    I’ve had a couple Les Baers. Neither of them ran well. I also got to experience the legendary (terrible) customer service that Les is known for.
    I'll be honest, that alone kills it for me. If I'm spending multiple thousands on a gun, on ANY product, I should be treated like a customer who spent multiple thousands on a gun. I won't buy Ed Brown for that same reputation. I don't find it charming, I don't find it cute, I don't find it gives the gun more "street cred" none of that. If Wilson can give good customer service so can the others.

We are very proud of you.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I’ve had a couple Les Baers. Neither of them ran well. I also got to experience the legendary (terrible) customer service that Les is known for.

There are few things that look better than a well-worn blued Les Baer 1911, but I won’t have another.

There are also issues with the way they fit their barrels that will cause problems in higher round-count guns.

@StraitR has the best looking LB Thunder Ranch I’ve seen, and I don’t believe it’s given him any problems.
    I didn't read the entire thread, so pardon me if I repeat anything that's already been said.

Due to work and family priorities, I've been a pretty low round count shooter for the better part of four years now. My TRS, while being basically problem free, has no more than 500rds (All S&B45) through it. As such, I wouldn't tell anyone looking for a serious use pistol to use my singular copy as a valuable data point. For funzies, absolutely, it's been fun, and oozes with the passion stuff.

The one and only issue I had was an instance of early lock back, with ammo still in the mag. This happened on the second round in the mag, during a 2-gun match, and I attribute it to poor grip (a result of rushing, attempting make up time, a stupid mistake).

Baer's look great, are generally well built, and the TRS was iconic during my youth (by youth, I mean my 20's). Combined with being a sucker for a blued Govt 45, I had to have one (emotion). That being said, I've all but lost the last bit of emotional attachment to any gun at this point. Matter of fact, I've gone back to all practical plastic, and will be getting rid of my last two 1911's.

I've said for the last couple years that Les Baer and Dan Wesson are the sweet spots for 1911's. I still believe that to a degree, but now that Baer has raised their prices a couple times, I think Alchemy represents a better value if purchasing "traditional" new.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I'll be honest, that alone kills it for me. If I'm spending multiple thousands on a gun, on ANY product, I should be treated like a customer who spent multiple thousands on a gun. I won't buy Ed Brown for that same reputation. I don't find it charming, I don't find it cute, I don't find it gives the gun more "street cred" none of that. If Wilson can give good customer service so can the others.
    I've been around Les a couple times since my "customer service experience" with him. He's a dickhead, for sure. Both times, my friends have attempted to get me fired up enough about the debacle with my gun to go try to fight him. Which, of course, is what friends are for.

I've been around Les a couple times since my "customer service experience" with him. He's a dickhead, for sure. Both times, my friends have attempted to get me fired up enough about the debacle with my gun to go try to fight him. Which, of course, is what friends are for.
    I deal with enough dickheads on a regular basis, I don't need to start paying for the experience.

ETA: I like your friends, we could hang out.
    Last edited by wvincent; 02-18-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    In all my years of gun hobby-ing, I've yet to find a mainstream company that was infallible, either in product and/or customer service. This includes high-end semi-custom 1911 makers.

I believe there is a lot of validation seeking when it comes to semi-custom 1911's*, and a lot of people who would rather look past their actual mediocre experiences to project a sense of wisdom and money-well-spent. I've been both a victim and cheerleader.

*ETA: A Generalization that can be found on any 1911-centric board. People are relatively transparent about issues here.
    Last edited by StraitR; 02-18-2020 at 12:10 PM.

User Tag List