Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FN503 Single Stack

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    The FN problem seems a bit similar to the Sig problem these days. I would actually bet the 509 is a good gun. I just don't trust FN to quality control their pistol line and/or keep it alive longer than 3 years without rolling out the "510" and leaving all the owners in the lurch like they did with the FNP and FNS.

Super bizarre since they make great long guns and stand behind them for ages.
    The rifles and MGs all originate from Belgium. The handguns are quarter backed by FN America outside the 5-7. The 509 is the first one of the ones you mentioned that they are even marketing internationally.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    The rifles and MGs all originate from Belgium. The handguns are quarter backed by FN America outside the 5-7. The 509 is the first one of the ones you mentioned that they are even marketing internationally.
    That explains a lot. Oddly it does give me hope for the 509, if they're marketing internationally they might actually want it to stick around for a minute.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I remember this video from Apex saying how customers were cracking their 509 frames just from trying to install their trigger, and I thought to myself "why even bother?"

https://youtu.be/3IkraTtkmTo

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I remember this video from Apex saying how customers were cracking their 509 frames just from trying to install their trigger, and I thought to myself "why even bother?"

https://youtu.be/3IkraTtkmTo
    WTAF. You need a special table to transfer energy.... also this roll of Gorilla Glue tape should be all we need......
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I bought a "blem" LE SKU 509 directly from FN as part of a deal they had for FA instructors. After about 750 rounds and an extended mag release installed, it has been reliable so far with a small variety of ammo and the trigger has smoothed out nicely from its new manufactured grittiness. That being said, it may go on the block soon because I am still mandated Glock for work and can fix nearly anything on one that might go wrong. The FN "feels" better in the hand but shooting results are not as good for me as the Glocks. I pull more rounds low and left with the FN when shooting at speed.

I looked hard at the 509 and one of the missing pieces that held me up on it was the lack of a singleish stack subcompact. I carry a primary and a BUG and I prefer them to all be the same or similar. It wasn’t a deal breaker because the 509 and my Shield are similar enough, but I didn’t get the warm fuzzies when I messed with it. The past stories of FN issues, lack of modularity, and the price turned me off.

While 6+1 is on the low side, it isn’t a deal breaker for me because of the roll I put it in. It’s either a deep concealment gun for specific situations a bigger gun would be problematic to carry or it’s a BUG. Had a reliable “FN 503” been available perhaps i would have watched the 509 and 503 closely if they were similar guns in different size footprints.
    Last edited by Hot Cereal; 02-22-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    The rifles and MGs don’t all originate from Belgium.

The SCARs We’re being built in Belgium. The civilian versions were being brought in as thumb hole supporters and then rebuilt with 922 compliant parts by FN USA But they are now making the scar H in the US. Not sure about the 556 version.

The M-16s, M fours, and civilian a ours are made in South Carolina.

Regarding their pistols, I have been a vocal critic of the FMX and the FMS. That said the FN 509 is a big improvement and a sign they were at least trying to take their pistol wine seriously for the first time since the Hi Power. The FNMHS submission based on the 509 did well in that testing and a slight variation, the non-commercial model 501 passed the 2015 USICE handgun tests along with the P320, though the P320 got the contract.

The modular optics mounting on the 509T is also and improvement over competitive systems. The biggest problem with the 509 is it is a little too late. Like the Beretta APX most people are well invested in Glock and or Sigg striker fire guns and there just isn’t a compelling reason to change platforms.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    The FN problem seems a bit similar to the Sig problem these days. I would actually bet the 509 is a good gun. I just don't trust FN to quality control their pistol line and/or keep it alive longer than 3 years without rolling out the "510" and leaving all the owners in the lurch like they did with the FNP and FNS.

Super bizarre since they make great long guns and stand behind them for ages.
    What is your basis for thinking that FM has quality control problems like SIG does?

I have been a vocal critic of FN’s Prior polymer service pistols including both the FNX and the FNS. However, all of the issues with those guns that I am aware of were the result of design issues and poor materials choices i.e. not fully investing in debugging and beta testing the guns, likely because FN did not take their service pistol program very seriously. If you think about it, why should day when they were making money hand over fist selling rifles and machine guns to the US and allied military?

From everything I have seen FN’s Prior service pistols suffered the exact opposite problem of the Sigg P320. The current P320 Is a good design sometimes poorly executed by SIG. The prior F and pistols were poor designs but we are well executed or at least executed to specifications by FN.

In fact, if the US were to give FN a TDP contract to make the M17 and M18 pistols as occurred with the M16 and M4 I would rather have an FN made M 17 or M18 than a SIG made one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    [MENTION=1431]
    Despite that the conversation was interesting and gives me pause. I would be leery of a company that hired management from the automotive industry, (as my view of that industries management is pretty poor), granted I am not in the industry and only have second and third hand information on how things work so I could have a false understanding. Although, given what we've all seen happen a short while back I think I am safe to say the automotive industry has had its issues just like any other sector. If I were king of a small kingdom such as FN USA I wouldn't be so quick to lie in bed with industry professionals who needed bailing due to what I consider to be mismanagement.
    Unfortunately I work in the automotive industry and my view is a lot worse than "pretty poor".

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What is your basis for thinking that FM has quality control problems like SIG does?

I have been a vocal critic of FN’s Prior polymer service pistols including both the FNX and the FNS. However, all of the issues with those guns that I am aware of were the result of design issues and poor materials choices i.e. not fully investing in debugging and beta testing the guns, likely because FN did not take their service pistol program very seriously. If you think about it, why should day when they were making money hand over fist selling rifles and machine guns to the US and allied military?

From everything I have seen FN’s Prior service pistols suffered the exact opposite problem of the Sigg P320. The current P320 Is a good design sometimes poorly executed by SIG. The prior F and pistols were poor designs but we are well executed or at least executed to specifications by FN.

In fact, if the US were to give FN a TDP contract to make the M17 and M18 pistols as occurred with the M16 and M4 I would rather have an FN made M 17 or M18 than a SIG made one.
    The FNP or FNS line had a drop or firing pin safety issue, I believe, which is mostly what I was referring to. The FNP I played with also had a pretty chintzy feeling magazine. The other Sig-like quality is putting out a new product constantly rather than backing the old product.

I still buy FN long rifle stuff. My latest AR build used an FN barrel and it's great. I just have yet to be persuaded about the quality/longevity of their handguns. I'm open to change that opinion if they keep the 509 around and support it as a staple.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List