Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Glock rear sight walks...

My Glock rear sight walks...

I swapped my Glock 26's factory sights for Ameriglo GL-429 XL suppressor height sights to lower 1/3 co-witness with my optic (i.e. for back-up). After shooting 200-300 rounds, the rear sight walks to the left. I had a gunsmith push it back. he mentioned dimpling it in place but didn't as he said he felt enough resistance that it wouldn't move--well, it still did. He also asked if I carried appendix as he's seen that move rear sights. I don't know how that could possibly affect it--I never have bumped against anything. Its def recoil that moves it--I wasn't even CCW when it first occurred.

So, what are my options to fix this? The gunsmith said loctite won't help as it's no good on sliding sliding surfaces (true?). Push the sight back, then dimple it somewhere to pin it? Find a taller Glock polymer sight that might grab the dovetail better? Other ideas? Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    I swapped my Glock 26's factory sights for Ameriglo GL-429 XL suppressor height sights to lower 1/3 co-witness with my optic (i.e. for back-up). After shooting 200-300 rounds, the rear sight walks to the left. I had a gunsmith push it back. he mentioned dimpling it in place but didn't as he said he felt enough resistance that it wouldn't move--well, it still did. He also asked if I carried appendix as he's seen that move rear sights. I don't know how that could possibly affect it--I never have bumped against anything. Its def recoil that moves it--I wasn't even CCW when it first occurred.

So, what are my options to fix this? The gunsmith said loctite won't help as it's no good on sliding sliding surfaces (true?). Push the sight back, then dimple it somewhere to pin it? Find a taller Glock polymer sight that might grab the dovetail better? Other ideas? Thanks!
    Install it properly with loctite.

Get a gunsmith who knows what he’s doing.

Do your own work; forget that gunsmith the OP used.

Buy one's own rear sight tool, however, I wouldn't know which rear sight tool to buy for a taller-than-stock rear sight. Perhaps someone else can advise as to which of the several tools on the market.

Remove the rear sight completely, then carefully hit the bottom in the middle with a chisel at 90º to dimple that rear sight. As the sight will be upside down, have some type of towel, perhaps on a piece of wood to limit any damage or marking to the top of the sight. Also be careful to not shock and break any night sight vials which might be within the sight.

Or contact Ameriglo and buy a new rear sight. From the post, I don't know if somebody "overfitted" the existing rear sight and made the sight too narrow for Glock's dovetail.

All it takes is more time and money.

I had the same problem after a gunsmith cut the dovetail on my old 1911 a little too deep. The method I chose to address that was probably overkill, but it never went anywhere after that.

Name:  1911 Right Sight Detail.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  55.1 KB

I'd either look at a new rear sight or one with a set screw.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Is this a Gen5 gun? I believe @ASH556 reported issues with Ameriglo sights walking on his guns.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I have not had this problem but before I bought a new rear sight I might attempt to stake or peen both sides of the sight edges at the bottom to see it it could get some bite. In addition, locktite as well.

1. If it’s really an issue then just get a new rear sight and ensure it is installed correctly.

2. If gunsmith claims that AIWB causes a sight to move in the dovetail, find new gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Is this a Gen5 gun? I believe @ASH556 reported issues with Ameriglo sights walking on his guns.
    Was my first thought as well. Had my AmeriGlo rear walk on my G45, replaced them with 10-8 sights and haven’t had an issue.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

You really can’t stake the Ameriglo rear sights because they’re hollowed out.

Remove it, degrease everything real good, reinstall with red Locktite and it’ll stay. Won’t be hard to remove if you ever want to.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I had the same problem after a gunsmith cut the dovetail on my old 1911 a little too deep. The method I chose to address that was probably overkill, but it never went anywhere after that.

Name:  1911 Right Sight Detail.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  55.1 KB

I'd either look at a new rear sight or one with a set screw.

Okie John

That’s not overkill. That’s something entirely different.

User Tag List