Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerns with current duty holster for light-equipped gun

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I use a Safariland 6360 (same as your's just with the Lvl 3 SLS hood) and you can alleviate some of the space by tightening the tension screw at the bottom rear of the holster. I've done this and it makes the opening slightly smaller and harder for fingers to get inside of it.

Another issue- you're using a holster designed for TLR1/X300 sized lights with I'm assuming a compact wml. Your holster is only a Lvl 2 so if you're not required to use the Safariland ALS you could find someone who makes Lvl 2 kydex holsters with a WRS hood in basket-weave. The holster would be smaller and fit your gun/light combo better. I believe the Safariland ALS system is probably the best retention system on the market, but Safariland is so slow to make new shit. They've barely touched the compact lights and there's a huge market there. A TLR7A on any mid sized pistol is a 100% viable duty combo. I remember when I ran a 60 lumen X200 and thought it was hot shit. It worked fine and was generally bright enough. The 300-500 lumens and candela these compact lights are putting out are 100% duty capable. Safariland needs to wake up and start offering more options. If they have those options out, I can't find it. If you have found it, help me out with a link.

With Blackhawk introducing the T-Series and Alien Gear dropping the Rapid Force, both holsters look to be viable competitors for the ALS/SLS holsters. Maybe it will put Safariland back on their heels a little and force them to start dropping new stuff.
    Good points. I am required to have at least lvl II, and am not real fond of the hood guard on ALS, so I have the 6006 als guard installed. My previous non-wml holster was a 6360 with the SLS. Well, to be fair, that is just the most-recent-previous holster. I go back to a high ride Safariland model 29 holster for a .45 revolver, which I then replaced with jacket slot border patrol holster so I could zip up my coat in the winter, but I digress.

Blade tech apparently makes the Rapid Force for the P229, but not in basketweave. Alien Gear's new duty holster doesn't come in basketweave and not for the P229, although they will be offering it for the P226. I am not too enthused about being a beta tester on a new duty holster, however.

Why I like the TLR 7A

Name:  20200216_151637.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  102.9 KB

I’m fairly certain you can disengage the strobe mode through programming. It’s just training. The TLR1/X300 sized lights are too big for and defeat the purpose of mid size duty pistols. Take a Glock 45 or P320 Carry and mount a full size WML and what’s the point of the short slide? I’d rather train the new light, disengage strobe mode and have a fairly flush fit system that doesn’t jab the seatbelt release, and get in the way of everything else in the car. I’m trying out the APX Centurion right now and I gotta tell you, the size is ideal. The 3.7 inch barrel is long enough for most duty loads, the 15+1 capacity and ability to accept the larger magazines sans grip sleeve, and a TLR7 mounted gives you about half an inch of stand off from the muzzle in a darn ideal size package. Just have to work it out with a few thousand rounds but I suspect it’ll be fine. Testing shall tell.

Not to mention the mechanical switching systems of the other lights can and have failed so not sure how one is any better than the other. It’s just change.

ETA: the stand off is 3/8 inch. Just measured it.
    You are correct that strobe can be de-activated in the Streamlights. I do that on all of mine.

I won’t say that one “must” have a gun, light, or other piece of equipment set up a certain way, but I will say that I’ve seen enough training and use of WMLs and studied enough law enforcement shootings both in my department and outside to know that “it’s just training” is exactly like saying “it’s just money” or “it’s just motivation”...

It’s not “just” training. It’s a ton of training to override the thousands of repetitions we all have in drawing, manipulating, and shooting our handguns in daylight without manipulating the switches of the light. To run some low light drills occasionally in a controlled and deliberate manipulative environment with minimal stress, static targets, and no one actually trying to kill the shooter and assume they can do the same or anywhere near it in an actual stressful incident is...hope.

There is a huge difference in switches - be it grip-activated pressure switches or the various forms of switching systems attached to the light body itself. I’m not concerned about failure of the system... They tend to work well and can all fail. I’m concerned about the failure of the user and the multi-tap/time-tap switches of the compact lights are significantly more difficult to operate reliably under stress than then switching systems on the TLR-1 and X300 lights.

I agree that a big light defeats the purpose of mid-size barrel lengths and do interfere with seatbelts and other things. I accept that because until a manufacturer makes a switching system that supports intuitive use for those compact lights I’m going to continue to run a full-size X300U with a DG switch. Making bad decisions in the dark and shooting someone who doesn’t need to be shot or hesitating and losing the fight I never had to lose trumps convenience and comfort for me. I know some will say that what I described is “rare”, “unlikely”, or is “just a training issue”, but I’ve done the studies, written the reports, seen the reality of bad decisions in the dark, and documented the real-life benefits of intuitive operation of the WML in several low-light shootings. I’m not gong to say that if you run a TLR-7A on duty you’re gonna get killed, but I do think that we must go into decisions for convenience with the understanding that we may be sacrificing effectiveness for comfort.

That’s not a bad thing. That’s reality. I don’t carry a duty pistol with an X300U and DG switch off duty... I make that sacrifice based on my perception of likelihoods and my desire for convenience. I also understand what I’m giving up doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Does anyone have pics of the WML versions of the 6360 vs 7TS in regard to how much opening/access there is to the trigger?
    Name:  040CB962-4218-43FA-BB04-F485709B8FDB.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  5570CEB1-ADAD-43D8-997A-2FEB348B08F8.jpeg
Views: 1386
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  B8477EB0-17D6-4192-8133-28AD687E9897.jpeg
Views: 972
Size:  62.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]48817
    Where did you find that in stock?

Where did you find that in stock?
    Issued by my agency and we get everything through Galls.

Rumor was we had the guns long before we got the holsters.

I ordered a light/off duty rig on my clothing allowance and it still hasn’t shipped. Not sure if Safariland behind or what.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Issued by my agency and we get everything through Galls.

Rumor was we had the guns long before we got the holsters.

I ordered a light/off duty rig on my clothing allowance and it still hasn’t shipped. Not sure if Safariland behind or what.
    I've seen glimpses of that holster series in pictures but it seems to be vaporware on the market. I heard that Safariland moved their production facility (or something like that) and that has negatively impacted their supply chain. That isn't confirmed, but I read it on some forum and from what I remember, seemed plausible. I'd love to have them make a 7360 for the APX Centurion w/light but I'd probably wait 2 years for it or never see it. That gun seems to be the chicken before the egg argument... which has to come first? Interest in the gun for companies to make holsters, but without holsters most people won't try out new guns. Real head scratcher.

https://www.safariland.com/on/demand...20Holsters.pdf

If you’re worried about retention the 7ts light holsters are crap. They are folded in the opposite direction of the non-light holsters and will literally split at the seams. The gun and holster should get ripped off the shank before the holster fails and it's not the case.

I’m not using a WML at the moment and probably won’t go back. Primarily comfort, and I have to use Safariland holsters and their choices are lacking.

I would take a 6xxx over a 7ts any day of the week. The gap on the 6xxx is atrocious and Safariland could easily fix it. The vast majority of gun grabs happen from the front. The chances of getting a finger in from the front of the holster are pretty slim.

Edited: Looks like they might have fixed the problem looking at LWT16's picture
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    https://www.safariland.com/on/demand...20Holsters.pdf

If you’re worried about retention the 7ts light holsters are crap. They are folded in the opposite direction of the non-light holsters and will literally split at the seams. The gun and holster should get ripped off the shank before the holster fails and it's not the case.

I’m not using a WML at the moment and probably won’t go back. Primarily comfort, and I have to use Safariland holsters and their choices are lacking.

I would take a 6xxx over a 7ts any day of the week. The gap on the 6xxx is atrocious and Safariland could easily fix it. The vast majority of gun grabs happen from the front. The chances of getting a finger in from the front of the holster are pretty slim.

Edited: Looks like they might have fixed the problem looking at LWT16's picture
    I’ve been using a Safariland 7378 with my G17 and Streamlight TLR1 almost daily for two years with no issue. About 1/3 (detectives, etc.) of the 47 LEOs we have wear the same holster daily with no issue. As a matter of fact, my pic here on PF is from a FBI Carbine Instructor class I took last February and I’m wearing the holster.

Patrol wears the 6360 which have no issue at all. The issue (finger being able to get into the trigger guard while holstered) with the 6378 had not been resolved as of two years ago. Someone at my agency ordered the 6378’s even after being told not to by me and another instructor. When they arrived I tested them out before issuing them and I was balked at. While doing the first WML class for my agency (we were adding WML’s to each weapon) our Chief was in attendance. I seized the opportunity to demonstrate the holster failure in front of the whole class. On the spot the Chief, who had NOT been told of the issue by the Captain, told me to take up the 6378 and order something else...the 7378.

Thank you all for your input. I am going to order a 7390. I may be over-reacting to the issue, but I would feel better having the trigger less accessible to fingers and even inanimate objects that could find there way in there and it is worth the money to me to try and improve the situation.

FWIW, at any reasonable distance I find the TLR 7a to do a good job and it has nice wide coverage. For my purposes it does a good job without increasing the overall gun size.

User Tag List