Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerns with current duty holster for light-equipped gun

Concerns with current duty holster for light-equipped gun

I recently decided to add a light to my uniform duty gun (Until recently I was never in uniform and even now it is rare, but does happen) and I sought out a suitable holster (Safariland 6390). I was less than thrilled to find that I could both eject the mag and pull the trigger of the gun while it is holstered and locked in with the ALS. I then remembered this had been an issue a couple years ago:

http://www.startribune.com/maplewood...ire/478224803/

I guess it doesn’t bother most folks and is a very common holster with those I work with but from a retention/ DT standpoint, I find it really discomforting. I do understand the holster is designed this way due to weapon light diameter, but I am half tempted to forego the light, despite being a believer in weapon lights when used appropriately. Ironically, the light I have is pretty small and does not even require the massive opening. I don’t work with anyone using the 7300 series Safariland holsters and haven't been able to find an answer to this on the internet. Does anyone know whether if this issue is resolved in the newest holsters (7390, etc.) or have any other suggestions? If not, should I just get over it and stop worrying?

I carry an older model of gun, and have to have basketweave, so that would limit the alternatives.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I recently decided to add a light to my uniform duty gun (Until recently I was never in uniform and even now it is rare, but does happen) and I sought out a suitable holster (Safariland 6390). I was less than thrilled to find that I could both eject the mag and pull the trigger of the gun while it is holstered and locked in with the ALS. I then remembered this had been an issue a couple years ago:

http://www.startribune.com/maplewood...ire/478224803/

I guess it doesn’t bother most folks and is a very common holster with those I work with but from a retention/ DT standpoint, I find it really discomforting. I do understand the holster is designed this way due to weapon light diameter, but I am half tempted to forego the light, despite being a believer in weapon lights when used appropriately. Ironically, the light I have is pretty small and does not even require the massive opening. I don’t work with anyone using the 7300 series Safariland holsters and haven't been able to find an answer to this on the internet. Does anyone know whether if this issue is resolved in the newest holsters (7390, etc.) or have any other suggestions? If not, should I just get over it and stop worrying?

I carry an older model of gun, and have to have basketweave, so that would limit the alternatives.
    Wider holster mouths Are needed to accommodate wider lights that use a side-by-side battery configuration. Stream light has introduced the TLR nine weapons mounted light which has two batteries for a full power light but in tandem rather than side-by-side. This allows for a slimmer light and therefore a slimmer holster opening.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    It would help to know what "older model gun" and "smaller light" we're talking about here. The newest 7TS series holsters from Safariland significantly reduce the opening around the trigger guard, especially with the smaller lights, so the 7300 series might fit your needs....depending on gun/light combo. The newer 'T' series holsters from Blackhawk also look very promising. Limited in available gun options though.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    It would help to know what "older model gun" and "smaller light" we're talking about here. The newest 7TS series holsters from Safariland significantly reduce the opening around the trigger guard, especially with the smaller lights, so the 7300 series might fit your needs....depending on gun/light combo. The newer 'T' series holsters from Blackhawk also look very promising. Limited in available gun options though.
    Thank you for helping.

It is my understanding that Safariland light-capable holsters fit all light sizes, so I am not sure the light matters, but I use a P229. I obtained a TLR-7a light for it which is very compact. I also have a TLR-1 HL available to me, that is larger in size (and brightness). I don't think Blackhawk is going to make the new holsters for P229.

I use a Safariland 6360 (same as your's just with the Lvl 3 SLS hood) and you can alleviate some of the space by tightening the tension screw at the bottom rear of the holster. I've done this and it makes the opening slightly smaller and harder for fingers to get inside of it.

Another issue- you're using a holster designed for TLR1/X300 sized lights with I'm assuming a compact wml. Your holster is only a Lvl 2 so if you're not required to use the Safariland ALS you could find someone who makes Lvl 2 kydex holsters with a WRS hood in basket-weave. The holster would be smaller and fit your gun/light combo better. I believe the Safariland ALS system is probably the best retention system on the market, but Safariland is so slow to make new shit. They've barely touched the compact lights and there's a huge market there. A TLR7A on any mid sized pistol is a 100% viable duty combo. I remember when I ran a 60 lumen X200 and thought it was hot shit. It worked fine and was generally bright enough. The 300-500 lumens and candela these compact lights are putting out are 100% duty capable. Safariland needs to wake up and start offering more options. If they have those options out, I can't find it. If you have found it, help me out with a link.

With Blackhawk introducing the T-Series and Alien Gear dropping the Rapid Force, both holsters look to be viable competitors for the ALS/SLS holsters. Maybe it will put Safariland back on their heels a little and force them to start dropping new stuff.

Site Supporter
    Does anyone have pics of the WML versions of the 6360 vs 7TS in regard to how much opening/access there is to the trigger?

A holster designed for the slimmer TLR-7 is going to have less access to the trigger compared to one designed for the side-by-side battery of the TLR-1/X300 type lights. I’m guessing that’s why STREAMlight has introduced the TLR-9, placing the batteries in a row to allow thinner holster openings.

That said, the Safariland 7TS significantly reduces finger access to the trigger even when using the X300. I have pictures but they are at work. We looked at this in depth a couple years ago which ultimately resulted in Safariland producing a new 7-series 7280 holster for our department that is not only X300U but DG switch compatible. I’ve been running a prototype for over a year and now I’m looking forward to trying out the final version.

The TLR-7 is absolutely a duty-capable light, but has some drawbacks compared to the toggle switch on the TLR-1 and especially the ambidextrous switching on the X300 for those who need/desire toggle-only operation. Those drawbacks can be mitigated through training and as an individual choice it’s certainly not a bad one, but for any decent sized law enforcement agency I strongly prefer the X300. Of course, that opens up (haha...puns) the issue of trigger-access. Thankfully the 7TS series addresses this and hopefully as other manufacturers develop holsters to compete with Safariland the issue will be even further alleviated.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    The TLR-7 is absolutely a duty-capable light, but has some drawbacks compared to the toggle switch on the TLR-1 and especially the ambidextrous switching on the X300 for those who need/desire toggle-only operation.
    I think the TLR7A made that argument a moot point. The switch system looks to be MUCH better than the side buttons. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I think the TLR7A made that argument a moot point. The switch system looks to be MUCH better than the side buttons. I can't wait to get my hands on one.
    Way way better than the side buttons. I have the TLR-7A and for a compact light it’s the best out there right now. Still not my ideal switching system, but for an occasional carry item (going to movies, etc.), I really like it.

It will never be used by me for duty when X300s and DG switches exist, and I’d run a TLR-1HL before I’d run a TLR-7A. Any electric switching system that uses time pressure or tapping to engage modes (constant, momentary, or god forbid strobe) turns into a fun excercize in distraction and focal shifting from problems to equipment under stress. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Way way better than the side buttons. I have the TLR-7A and for a compact light it’s the best out there right now. Still not my ideal switching system, but for an occasional carry item (going to movies, etc.), I really like it.

It will never be used by me for duty when X300s and DG switches exist, and I’d run a TLR-1HL before I’d run a TLR-7A. Any electric switching system that uses time pressure or tapping to engage modes (constant, momentary, or god forbid strobe) turns into a fun excercize in distraction and focal shifting from problems to equipment under stress. No thanks.
    I’m fairly certain you can disengage the strobe mode through programming. It’s just training. The TLR1/X300 sized lights are too big for and defeat the purpose of mid size duty pistols. Take a Glock 45 or P320 Carry and mount a full size WML and what’s the point of the short slide? I’d rather train the new light, disengage strobe mode and have a fairly flush fit system that doesn’t jab the seatbelt release, and get in the way of everything else in the car. I’m trying out the APX Centurion right now and I gotta tell you, the size is ideal. The 3.7 inch barrel is long enough for most duty loads, the 15+1 capacity and ability to accept the larger magazines sans grip sleeve, and a TLR7 mounted gives you about half an inch of stand off from the muzzle in a darn ideal size package. Just have to work it out with a few thousand rounds but I suspect it’ll be fine. Testing shall tell.

Not to mention the mechanical switching systems of the other lights can and have failed so not sure how one is any better than the other. It’s just change.

ETA: the stand off is 3/8 inch. Just measured it.

User Tag List