Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Division Equipment Rules (Guns)

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    If you just shoot local level one matches, there is a good chance no one will care if you shoot production with that set up, as long as you don't have more than 10 rounds in a mag.

On the other hand, if you're a beginner at moving around with a loaded gun and a 180 rule, sometimes it's better to shoot limited or open anyway so you have less opportunities to blow the 180 during a reload. Plus now with practiscore you can look at overall scores and just compare yourself to the production shooters anyway.
    This is 100% true at my local matches. Be safe, don’t do dumb stuff, load 10 rounds (11 in first one) and you are gtg.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    USPSA needs fewer divisions, not more. We already have divisions that only 2 or 3 people shoot (Lim 10, Revo). USPSA is really not about any specific gun. What makes it special is hit factor scoring. Buying a gun that's suited to USPSA is usually among the cheapest parts of the sport.

I just shot a match today, and saw a number of guys (including active LEO) struggling to compete effectively with a Glock 19 and other tactical or CCW oriented guns. Can they do it? Sure, but they would learn a lot more with the right equipment.

Edit: this came out more grumpy than I intended. USPSA is fun, especially when played well. The right equipment helps.
    Kinda silly to imply that only two or three people are shooting Lim10 or revolver.

Also kinda silly to imply Divisions don't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    Kinda silly to imply that only two or three people are shooting Lim10 or revolver.
    At most of my local matches, there are less than 5 people shooting revolver and zero shooting Lim10. The only appeal of Lim10 is if you want a division win that is meaningless or if you're in a ban state.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post

Also kinda silly to imply Divisions don't make sense.

I shot fifteen USPSA level 1 matches in 2019 and three so far this year. There hasn't been a single person shooting Limited 10 or Revolver in any of them.

Last fall I bought a Performance Center 5" 627. It will probably go on sale in a few weeks and whatever I get out of it will likely go into turning my P-09 into another carry optics gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I shot fifteen USPSA level 1 matches in 2019 and three so far this year. There hasn't been a single person shooting Limited 10 or Revolver in any of them.
    Higher level matches are the same way. MN Section Championship 2019 had 2 people shooting Revolver and 1 Lim10. 2018 had 1 Revolver and 3 Lim10. 2017 had 2 Revolver and 4 Lim10. (Total match attendance has been a sold out 150+ for basically as long as I've been shooting it.) Those divisions are effectively dead up here.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Higher level matches are the same way. MN Section Championship 2019 had 2 people shooting Revolver and 1 Lim10. 2018 had 1 Revolver and 3 Lim10. 2017 had 2 Revolver and 4 Lim10. (Total match attendance has been a sold out 150+ for basically as long as I've been shooting it.) Those divisions are effectively dead up here.
    I bet the L10 guys were Canadians

Last fall I bought a Performance Center 5" 627. It will probably go on sale in a few weeks and whatever I get out of it will likely go into turning my P-09 into another carry optics gun.
    Yes. I can say the same for my local matches.

However, it comes as a great surprise to many that the USPSA is the governing body for a sport that spans an entire country.

And while your local club may not be able to take advantage of said Divisions, other locations may.

If anyone thinks an eight shot revolver can go toe-to-toe with a G17 (all things being equal), I'd invite them to take a video of themselves shooting an eight shot revolver for score.

I bet the L10 guys were Canadians
    I recognize at least some of the names in L10 over the last few years as non-Canadian, so I think it's mostly just the odd person who still has a gun and mags from the '94-'04 AWB and decides to shoot it. Good theory, though - we do usually get about one squad worth of guys from up there coming down to shoot with us every year. Given that there are typically less L10 shooters than Canadians, I would *guess* that most of the Canadians are shooting Production.

To the OP:

The "Why doesn't USPSA have a division just for the particular way I like to set up my pistol and holster? Wah!" comes up all the time.

Feel like you should be able to load your mags to 13 rounds? Want to use a AIWB holster? Want to bolt a honking big light on the front and reduce muzzle rise? You can do all of that...in Open. (And some stuff in Limited.)

Just shoot Open. You can compare your score to those of the Production shooters. You weren't going to win anyway, and even if you did win Production at a Level 1 club match, the prize is a steaming hot cup of jack squat.

I seem to recall Steel Challenge used to allow lights.

We can argue they arent perfect, but USPSA is trying to keep Production from being an equipment race. Hence why they don't allow lights
    Last edited by BigD; 02-16-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    We've already seen the crossover with RDS from gun games to serious duty use. I think USPSA could add a division that accommodates that, or allow them in carry optics, since the name of the division implies some vague resemblance of tactical/defensive orientation.

That is the full size APX. The Centurion and Compact have 3.7 in barrels.

If you truly don't care about the game for its own sake, then you will shoot Open with whatever you have and deal with the results.

If you do actually care then you have to stay within the rules. You don't get to try change for everyone it because you don't get it.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List