Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Division Equipment Rules (Guns)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    I figured since I’m in limited anyways why not just use the WML. Removing the bulb and batteries is stupid. WMLs have become so common they should at least be allowed in limited and perhaps production.
    USPSA is not and never will be "tactically" or "defensive" oriented. Not going to happen.

I don’t know much about Berettas, but there appears to be a ‘APX 4.3” 9mm’ on the USPSA Production Gun List. Is that a ‘Centurion? Might be worth asking a NRO or USPSA rep about that.

Attachment 48816

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    Yes it can be functional.

About the only thing you can't have in OPEN is full auto.
    Sooo binary triggers are gtg? HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    USPSA is not and never will be "tactically" or "defensive" oriented. Not going to happen.
    We've already seen the crossover with RDS from gun games to serious duty use. I think USPSA could add a division that accommodates that, or allow them in carry optics, since the name of the division implies some vague resemblance of tactical/defensive orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I don’t know much about Berettas, but there appears to be a ‘APX 4.3” 9mm’ on the USPSA Production Gun List. Is that a ‘Centurion? Might be worth asking a NRO or USPSA rep about that.

Attachment 48816
    That is the full size APX. The Centurion and Compact have 3.7 in barrels.

Sooo binary triggers are gtg? HA!
    https://uspsa.org/documents/rules/20...tion_Rules.pdf

We've already seen the crossover with RDS from gun games to serious duty use. I think USPSA could add a division that accommodates that, or allow them in carry optics, since the name of the division implies some vague resemblance of tactical/defensive orientation.
    IPSC (and by extension it's US region: USPSA) is not a defensive shooting sport. It's a shooting sport with no pretension or connection to tactics or tactical equipment.

USPSA Division Equipment Rules (Guns)

USPSA needs fewer divisions, not more. We already have divisions that only 2 or 3 people shoot (Lim 10, Revo). USPSA is really not about any specific gun. What makes it special is hit factor scoring. Buying a gun that's suited to USPSA is usually among the cheapest parts of the sport.

I just shot a match today, and saw a number of guys (including active LEO) struggling to compete effectively with a Glock 19 and other tactical or CCW oriented guns. Can they do it? Sure, but they would learn a lot more with the right equipment.

Edit: this came out more grumpy than I intended. USPSA is fun, especially when played well. The right equipment helps.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-16-2020 at 07:41 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I just shot a match today, and saw a number of guys (including active LEO) struggling to compete effectively with a Glock 19 and other tactical or CCW oriented guns.
    It's not the guns (for the most part)

This guy was a local shooter but now gone from the area. I think he was AD USAF. He can drive a stock P-10C like he stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    USPSA needs fewer divisions, not more. We already have divisions that only 2 or 3 people shoot (Lim 10, Revo). USPSA is really not about any specific gun. What makes it special is hit factor scoring. Buying a gun that's suited to USPSA is usually among the cheapest parts of the sport.

I just shot a match today, and saw a number of guys (including active LEO) struggling to compete effectively with a Glock 19 and other tactical or CCW oriented guns. Can they do it? Sure, but they would learn a lot more with the right equipment.

Edit: this came out more grumpy than I intended. USPSA is fun, especially when played well. The right equipment helps.
    I kinda get what you meant. That poor equipment selection can be made, which would get in the way of performance ‘on the clock’ as it were.

On the other hand, as a lowly D Production shooter with 9 matches lifetime, I would say my match scores are heavily influenced by factors almost completely absent from equipment: mental lapses in stage planning (FTE), hitting No Shoots by mistake, gross incompetence in stage planning (not efficiently managing mag swaps on an unloaded table start). I’ve shot a rental G34, and concluded until I could shoot more Alphas quicker, the $700 for a new Glock would be better invested in training ammo and focused dry practice. So I keep shooting my G19, which to my size M hands is like a G17 to most guys. I don’t think it’s holding me back, really.

But point taken. FWIW you didn’t sound too grumpy to me.

I'm thinking of playing gun games again and I never really paid attention to the equipment rules. I want to shoot an APX Centurion, which I don't see on the approved list. I want to use a weapon light since I'm cheap, holsters are expensive and I prefer to carry with one. As far as I can tell a functioning light puts me in open and a non-functioning light puts me in limited. Is this correct or am I sol with a wml? Does taking the battery out make the light "non-functioning"? Thanks.
    If you just shoot local level one matches, there is a good chance no one will care if you shoot production with that set up, as long as you don't have more than 10 rounds in a mag.

On the other hand, if you're a beginner at moving around with a loaded gun and a 180 rule, sometimes it's better to shoot limited or open anyway so you have less opportunities to blow the 180 during a reload. Plus now with practiscore you can look at overall scores and just compare yourself to the production shooters anyway.

User Tag List