Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Division Equipment Rules (Guns)

USPSA Division Equipment Rules (Guns)

I'm thinking of playing gun games again and I never really paid attention to the equipment rules. I want to shoot an APX Centurion, which I don't see on the approved list. I want to use a weapon light since I'm cheap, holsters are expensive and I prefer to carry with one. As far as I can tell a functioning light puts me in open and a non-functioning light puts me in limited. Is this correct or am I sol with a wml? Does taking the battery out make the light "non-functioning"? Thanks.

The approved list only matters if you’re shooting one of the production divisions. Open and Ltd don’t matter. A working light absolutely puts you in open. I don’t know how much modification you need to do to the light to make it a “weight” and not a light. Brian Enon Forums is the unofficial USPSA forum. Lots of good info there.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

According to this thread you need to take the bulbs and battery out.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/1...imited/page/2/
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Is it really so much hassle to mount and unmount a light that you can't just take it off for matches and put it back on afterward? (No snark intended - I'm genuinely curious, as I don't own any WMLs, but I had the impression that mounting and unmounting them was a fairly quick process.)

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Is it really so much hassle to mount and unmount a light that you can't just take it off for matches and put it back on afterward? (No snark intended - I'm genuinely curious, as I don't own any WMLs, but I had the impression that mounting and unmounting them was a fairly quick process.)
    Then he would have to buy another holster, which is something he didn’t want to do.

If he wanted to stay in limited, it would be cheaper to buy a second holster instead of buying another light, gut it, and weight it. If he didn’t care, he could just go to Open.

Personally I see the benefit in having a specific gaming rig (belt, holster, mag pouches, etc.) as it’s a more apples to apples comparison to whomever you’re competing against.

After seeing the APX Centurion isn’t on the stupid production list I figured since I’m in limited anyways why not just use the WML. Removing the bulb and batteries is stupid. WMLs have become so common they should at least be allowed in limited and perhaps production. Someone would be quick to the scene with replicas that are made out of resin (like a blue gun, sort of like these: https://newbreedtactical.com/product...olding-drones/. In fact, it’s says they mount. I wonder if they’d stay put during recoil. Hmmm?

If you don’t care about advancing up the classification ladder, just shoot what you carry and shoot in open. Years before Carry Optics was a thing I was shooting a 226/RMR combo in open shooting minor. Or a duty rig shooting limited minor with my duty gun. I had fun and that was what mattered to me. Plus it was a challenge. I tried to stay within 3-4 seconds of the good open shooters on each stage with my 226/RMR. I knew I was at a huge disadvantage with my setup, but it was my work gun and I didn’t care.

To an extent, I still shoot at a disadvantage. I mostly shoot CO with my carry gun. Which had always been a G19/229/P07 sized pistol against guys shooting G34s, CZ Shadows, Q5s or whatever. I’d shoot from AIWB if they’d let me.

Now that I’m switching over to Glocks I may buy a true game gun, but still plan on shooting a lot with my duty/carry guns.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    If you don’t care about advancing up the classification ladder, just shoot what you carry and shoot in open. Years before Carry Optics was a thing I was shooting a 226/RMR combo in open shooting minor. Or a duty rig shooting limited minor with my duty gun. I had fun and that was what mattered to me. Plus it was a challenge. I tried to stay within 3-4 seconds of the good open shooters on each stage with my 226/RMR. I knew I was at a huge disadvantage with my setup, but it was my work gun and I didn’t care.

To an extent, I still shoot at a disadvantage. I mostly shoot CO with my carry gun. Which had always been a G19/229/P07 sized pistol against guys shooting G34s, CZ Shadows, Q5s or whatever. I’d shoot from AIWB if they’d let me.

Now that I’m switching over to Glocks I may buy a true game gun, but still plan on shooting a lot with my duty/carry guns.
    That's about where I am with it. I know I'm at a disadvantage but who cares, it's just for fun. If I did shoot open, can I have the battery in it or do I have to take it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    That's about where I am with it. I know I'm at a disadvantage but who cares, it's just for fun. If I did shoot open, can I have the battery in it or do I have to take it out?
    Yes it can be functional.

About the only thing you can't have in OPEN is full auto.

Deflave is right. Functional is fine. My local club used to let me shoot my SWAT rig back in the day - 228 w/CT laser grips and old school Surefire light/DG switch. I’d kill the lights and shoot no lights w/ my laser and WML. it was an outlaw match and I shot w the Open guys. Lots of fun.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

User Tag List