Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA Division Equipment Rules (Guns)

I’ve only shot a handful of matches, but I always shoot in my class setup which includes my carry gun. Matches are a fun way for me to get more practice in, and I have no desire to compete for status so I’m ok shooting open with my normal setup. YMMV, but at the end of the day it’s all sending rounds down range. The only thing I can’t use is my drop leg which is a bit of a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Multiple jurisdictions now limit mags to ten rounds. That is likely to increase in the future, if not nationwide.
    A. I disagree about the spread
    B. Still no need for Limited 10 even if A is true

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ve only shot a handful of matches, but I always shoot in my class setup which includes my carry gun. Matches are a fun way for me to get more practice in, and I have no desire to compete for status so I’m ok shooting open with my normal setup. YMMV, but at the end of the day it’s all sending rounds down range. The only thing I can’t use is my drop leg which is a bit of a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude, as a weekend comeptition hack, I find your lack of proper gamer gear offensive.

You need
    *Gamer wicking shirt
    *Gamer double belt.
    *27 Gamer approved magazine holders on your Gamer Approved Gamer belt.
    *Gamer Gun.
    *Gamer Head Gear.
    *Gamer tacticool shades.
    *Gamer bag and setup. It can't be just a bag. It has to have Gamer Approved (TM) pockets.
    *Gamer trained stance and cool slow mow moves. You can't be a proper Gamer without stylin reload moves and Kewl Gamer approved bent running stance. What are you, some kind of IDPA shooter?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    A. I disagree about the spread
    B. Still no need for Limited 10 even if A is true
    In the words of our leader, I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    So interesting how Division trends are regional. We have some high level shooters here, including one GM who travels internationally. He's truly talented at PCC, but would otherwise be a mid-B level shooter in the pistol divisions. There are a few older folks who shoot PCC, but Open, Single Stack, and Revo are where the Super Seniors go to play. I love squadding with most of those guys. They are experienced, upbeat, and supportive. Sometimes it's like having cheerleaders, except not hot and not girls.

I don't care how long people take to get ready to shoot or finish, as long as they are safe and help reset.

Gun reliability (or lack) shows a very strong pattern at the matches I've been to, regardless of location.

Glocks pretty much never fail, unless people try to make them into Open or Limited guns, or limp-wrist them while shooting minor PF ammo (usually kids or new female shooters).

CZs are also virtually 100% reliable unless people load their ammo wrong (COL too long), or fail to replace parts that constantly break in their .40 Limited CZs.

Sig 320s: super reliable, including later gen Sig Romeos.

Various polymer and metal carry-type guns can be very unreliable. It's hard to know why because it's usually newer shooters who don't return who bring these guns. I've noticed that the more "Unicorn" a gun is, the greater chance of it having issues.

Revolvers: lots of light strikes, and a few catastrophic failures that stopped the shooters match.

PCCs: malfunction all the time. As in people act surprised when they actually finish a stage without a malfunction. A few people have guns that seem to mostly run, until they don't. This division is a reliability nightmare.

2011s: malfunction quite a bit, despite people spending crazy money on them. There seems to be no correlation between cost and reliability.

1911s: Same as above.

Open 2011s: Same as above, except worse.

The frequency of malfunctions is approx. 45% PCC, 45% 1911/2011, and 10% other.
    My experience generally mirrors this. And the one thing that seems to be a commonality between Limited/Open 2011s, 1911s, and PCCs is generally magazine related. The more goofy weird crap I see done to any given magazine the more that stuff seems to either break or not feed correctly. It’s almost always in the name of adding 2-3 rounds in Limited or Carry Optics or something stupid like 5-10 rounds in PCC. If these people simply used a slightly less ridiculously high capacity magazine they’d MAYBE have to reload one more time without incurring the time penalty for dealing with a catastrophic malfunction.

It’s one main reasons why I like Production. The hardware simpler, more affordable, and generally works so long as you don’t screw around with it too much.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    So interesting how Division trends are regional. We have some high level shooters here, including one GM who travels internationally. He's truly talented at PCC, but would otherwise be a mid-B level shooter in the pistol divisions. There are a few older folks who shoot PCC, but Open, Single Stack, and Revo are where the Super Seniors go to play. I love squadding with most of those guys. They are experienced, upbeat, and supportive. Sometimes it's like having cheerleaders, except not hot and not girls.

I don't care how long people take to get ready to shoot or finish, as long as they are safe and help reset.

Gun reliability (or lack) shows a very strong pattern at the matches I've been to, regardless of location.

Glocks pretty much never fail, unless people try to make them into Open or Limited guns, or limp-wrist them while shooting minor PF ammo (usually kids or new female shooters).

CZs are also virtually 100% reliable unless people load their ammo wrong (COL too long), or fail to replace parts that constantly break in their .40 Limited CZs.

Sig 320s: super reliable, including later gen Sig Romeos.

Various polymer and metal carry-type guns can be very unreliable. It's hard to know why because it's usually newer shooters who don't return who bring these guns. I've noticed that the more "Unicorn" a gun is, the greater chance of it having issues.

Revolvers: lots of light strikes, and a few catastrophic failures that stopped the shooters match.

PCCs: malfunction all the time. As in people act surprised when they actually finish a stage without a malfunction. A few people have guns that seem to mostly run, until they don't. This division is a reliability nightmare.

2011s: malfunction quite a bit, despite people spending crazy money on them. There seems to be no correlation between cost and reliability.

1911s: Same as above.

Open 2011s: Same as above, except worse.

The frequency of malfunctions is approx. 45% PCC, 45% 1911/2011, and 10% other.
    Carry Optics is probably the biggest division around me. Followed by Limited, Production, PCC, Single Stack and Revo.

My last match I was one of 6 guys in Single Stack.

I actually haven't seen more than one Revo guy at a time.

As for reliability...I mean the onus is on the shooter to make sure they know what's going on with their gun.

The issue I see is usually not relegated to specific divisions. Guys try to buy performance (reduced power striker springs, reduced power recoil springs, just barely power factor ammo, higher cap mags for their PCC, CO, Limited, or Open gun) and it costs them.

I've seen guys literally go home from matches because their PCC was so broken it was a bolt gun.

I'm blessed to have little drama with my guns, but it's at the cost of learning the hard way to diagnose and fix my gun problems. You cannot be optimistic when you see a warning sign about your guns reliability. The more serious I get about USPSA the more I have come to prioritize reliability.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    You cannot be optimistic when you see a warning sign about your guns reliability. The more serious I get about USPSA the more I have come to prioritize reliability.
    ^^^THIS and ^^^THIS
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'd be in favor of a two-malf stage DQ.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    The more goofy weird crap I see done to any given magazine the more that stuff seems to either break or not feed correctly. It’s almost always in the name of adding 2-3 rounds in Limited or Carry Optics or something stupid like 5-10 rounds in PCC. If these people simply used a slightly less ridiculously high capacity magazine they’d MAYBE have to reload one more time without incurring the time penalty for dealing with a catastrophic malfunction.
    Agree. Now that I shoot carry optics I roll with two 19 round mags with CZ OEM +2 basepads and two 19 rounders, plus a barney mag for MR.

Very seldomly do I come across a stage that has 23 - 24 rounds, and when I do there's always a place to do a reload on the move.

I tried, for shits and grins, to setup a mag to take 23 rounds and found two things: the base pad won't fit in the 141 mm gage and I had to cut the spring down so much that now the gun won't lock open on empty. IMO that's not a reliable magazine to take to a match, even if it weren't over length.

In my S2 CO gun, I'm having good luck with 22 rounds reloadable using 17 round Mec-gar tubes, Henning or Springer extensions, and Grams followers & springs. I've yet to have an issue. A couple of the Springer mags needed to be filed on the back feed lip corners to fit in the gauge. Henning extensions are GTG, and I prefer those.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List