Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ya値l know we must have Gaston cussing under his breath, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    When my agency transitioned to Gen 5 17's, about five months before I retired, we went with the night sight option. Glock, in their eternal attention to detail, gave us a front sight that was too tall for the attached rear sight so the guns all shot low. To make it even better, they secured those front sights with red Locktite. That made replacement pretty darned special.
    How low did they shoot? What duty ammo were you guys using?

What sight did you purchase as a replacement?

Site Supporter
    When my agency transitioned to Gen 5 17's, about five months before I retired, we went with the night sight option. Glock, in their eternal attention to detail, gave us a front sight that was too tall for the attached rear sight so the guns all shot low. To make it even better, they secured those front sights with red Locktite. That made replacement pretty darned special.
    Minute or two on the hex nut with a soldering iron and red Loctite softens right up. Not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Minute or two on the hex nut with a soldering iron and red Loctite softens right up. Not an issue.
    Maybe it's not an issue with one pistol. But, when you have several hundred to retrofit it becomes a bit of a time suck.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Maybe it's not an issue with one pistol. But, when you have several hundred to retrofit it becomes a bit of a time suck.
    Still better than front sights flying off at inopportune moments. Which is what happens to Glock fronts without Loctite...

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    How low did they shoot? What duty ammo were you guys using?

What sight did you purchase as a replacement?
    Five inches low on average. The ammo was Hornady Critical Duty. The sight was the one Glock sent out after the, "Oooops, we're sorry." Phone conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Still better than front sights flying off at inopportune moments. Which is what happens to Glock fronts without Loctite...
    Sure, but how about they just put the right fucking sight on in the first place, or did that point escape you?

Site Supporter
    Sure, but how about they just put the right fucking sight on in the first place, or did that point escape you?
    No it didn稚 escape me. It痴 not relevant to the use of red Loctite.

The put on the wrong sights but they did not install them improperly as you implied. You were complaining about them using red Loctite like it was what they did wrong. It痴 not. Proper install of a Glock front sight equal red Loctite.

Why not make Glock fix their own mistake ?

Five inches low on average. The ammo was Hornady Critical Duty. The sight was the one Glock sent out after the, "Oooops, we're sorry." Phone conversation.
    That's really bizarre.

What grain CD ammo were you issuing? The recall must have been a PITA. Were they fielded and then brought back? What did the officers do doing the interim?

Didn't the people doing the purchasing do some sort of check/test run before receiving them?

I wonder how much sight correction was needed to bring the POA/POI up five inches at (assuming) 25yds.

Screw the sights (especially the front one, with a proper dab of Loctite). Fix the damn triggers.

I HATED shooting my 43 and my 48. Now I really enjoy shooting them. They both have Apex triggers in them now.

The upside is I ran out of razors one day before a big meeting, and I was able to use the factory 48 trigger to shave with.

Same with our G45 with Ameriglo Bold sights. They came with a .200 front sight and it needs a .180 for a 6 o'clock target hold. 90 percent of the cops here won't be able to benefit from it though.

Interestingly enough, none of ours had any sort of thread locking compound on them. Mine does now.

Regards.

User Tag List