Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ya’ll know we must have Gaston cussing under his breath, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It’s funny that people complain about the plastic dovetail protection but don’t praise the excellent Ameriglo night sights that are a factory option.
    The Glock night sights are my favorite. I have tried HD's, defoors and several combos of ameriglo night sights. I always return to Glock night sights and they are on all of my glocks.

For all the bitchin' and moanin' about the crap plastic OEM sights on Glocks I got by with them from 1988 and 1995 through 2017 on two of my guns respectively.

(That said, I do appreciate the upgraded sights now that I got spoiled by the recommendations of the fancy people hanging out hereabouts. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

If I glance at the guy/gal in the shooting lane next to me and see a Glock with standard sights, I tend to categorize them as a recreational shooter - aftermarket sights, then I tend to infer a slightly higher level of competency. A generalization, to be sure, but likely accurate.

The plastic sights might actually be the only reason many have experimented with different sight options. If they’d historically come with Heine Straight Eights or what have you, then I would never have known how much I disliked Big Dots

I have Gaston cursing under his breath, because I’ve never bought a new Glock. And I rarely recommend them any more to new shooters. The mushy trigger is the reason why, not the crappy sights, but those don’t help. Neither do the long standing accuracy issues finally resolved with Gen 5. The questionable reliability of Gen4s didn’t help, either.

Finally, the lack of a manual safety, combined with generally poor administrative gun handling traits of most new shooters. I feel most folks are better served by other weapons out there. The M&P 2.0 with thumb safety, Shield EZ, and Shield 9 are all higher on the recommendation chain. The little nubbin’ safety in the Shield kind of sucks, but at least can be activated and used during admin handling.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I have Gaston cursing under his breath, because I’ve never bought a new Glock. And I rarely recommend them any more to new shooters. The mushy trigger is the reason why, not the crappy sights, but those don’t help. Neither do the long standing accuracy issues finally resolved with Gen 5. The questionable reliability of Gen4s didn’t help, either.

Finally, the lack of a manual safety, combined with generally poor administrative gun handling traits of most new shooters. I feel most folks are better served by other weapons out there. The M&P 2.0 with thumb safety, Shield EZ, and Shield 9 are all higher on the recommendation chain. The little nubbin’ safety in the Shield kind of sucks, but at least can be activated and used during admin handling.
    You've never bought a new Glock but hate new Glocks?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    For all the bitchin' and moanin' about the crap plastic OEM sights on Glocks I got by with them from 1988 and 1995 through 2017 on two of my guns respectively.

(That said, I do appreciate the upgraded sights now that I got spoiled by the recommendations of the fancy people hanging out hereabouts. )
    Unpossible, your ghost must be typing these responses.

Some of your success may well be the type of holsters you used. Duty type holsters made of harder materials tend to chew up the front sights.

The real problem with the Glock plastic sights, besides durability issues, is that before the Gen5 the white “dot in U” sight picture did not match the actual sight picture. If you take a proper sight picture with a pre-Gen 5 Glock you find the lower portion of the white dot cut off. Hence the fable of “Glocks shoot high” joins “Glocks shoot left” in the annals of derp.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post

When my agency transitioned to Gen 5 17's, about five months before I retired, we went with the night sight option. Glock, in their eternal attention to detail, gave us a front sight that was too tall for the attached rear sight so the guns all shot low. To make it even better, they secured those front sights with red Locktite. That made replacement pretty darned special.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    I don't remember saying that...

I said ole' Gaston is cursing me, because I don't buy new Gs, nor do I recommend them for new (read: novice) shooters.

Which means, I'm not real responsible for the commercial success of Big G. If someone wants to buy a Glock, by all means. The Gen 5 guns are the best Glocks ever made at this point. Better triggers (still mushy though), better texturing, and much better accuracy with the new barrels. The DLC coating is the best coating since the original "Tennifer" meloniting, as well.

But for novice shooters with bad to mediocre administrative gun handling skills? A gun with a manual safety is a big step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I don't remember saying that...

I said ole' Gaston is cursing me, because I don't buy new Gs, nor do I recommend them for new (read: novice) shooters.

Which means, I'm not real responsible for the commercial success of Big G. If someone wants to buy a Glock, by all means. The Gen 5 guns are the best Glocks ever made at this point. Better triggers (still mushy though), better texturing, and much better accuracy with the new barrels. The DLC coating is the best coating since the original "Tennifer" meloniting, as well.

But for novice shooters with bad to mediocre administrative gun handling skills? A gun with a manual safety is a big step in the right direction.
    Which gun do you recommend for a novice shooter with bad to mediocre administrative gun handling skills?

User Tag List