Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ya’ll know we must have Gaston cussing under his breath, right?

Ya’ll know we must have Gaston cussing under his breath, right?

I have been walking around with this for a while and decided, for no particular reason, to get this off my chest this morning. (Apparently I can’t wait for the Pfestivus to roll back around...) Please note that this is aimed at no one in particular even though various folks here have repeatedly made comments on this stuff; but I am sure that everyone who made the comments are better humans than me in every conceivable way. (I see the same comments all over the interwebz - so neither of these things are unique to us here.) Okay, with all the disclaimers out of the way, here goes.

Plastic Glock sights.
    Yes, they are shitty. No, they have do not have any place on a pistol intended for defensive use. But what they also are, is cheap. A way long time ago, at a Glock armorers course, I recall the instructor saying something to the effect that all Glocks were imported to the U.S. wearing the plastic sights (for the points, ya know), and once here, those were pulled off the guns to be replaced with night sights. What did Glock do with all the take-offs? You might think they would ship back to Austria and be re-used - but you would be wrong. Glock threw them away by the 55 gallon barrel full.

By selling Glocks with the shitty plastic sights (I think Glock calls them “slot fillers” or something like that.) you and I are able to buy the pistol without paying more for better sights that we will then replace/upgrade anyway. There you go. That’s the logic. Works for me. After trying a variety of aftermarket sights, I settled on a set-up that works for me. Any time a new Glock comes into the stable, the plastic sights come off, and the ones I like go on. And I *like it* that way. There is no way Glock would ever offer the sight configuration that I like as a factory option (I’m just not that lucky). Being able to ditch the placeholders that I paid nothing for and replace them with the sights I prefer is, to me, a pretty good win. (Just to pick on somebody famous, Mr. Guns n’ Gear cracks on the plastic sights all the time. I wish he would stop.)

The 43/43X/48 are not as comfortable to shoot all day as (fill in the full-sized pistol of your choice here).
    How long have we whined and complained for a single stack 9mm? Then we finally get them, and what do we do? Whine and complain that they are not as fun to shoot all day as a G34. C’mon guys. The little guns are to carry (and they carry amazingly well), not for marathon sessions at the range. I roll my eyes at reviewers (frequently on youtube - yeah I know) who ding the smaller guns for being harder to shoot and lacking in capacity as compared to their full-size brethren. Uhh, yeah. That’s like complaining that a Honda Civic won’t haul as much as a 3/4 ton pick-up. That ain’t what it was designed for.

Well alrighty then. Again, no malice here. I guess I feel better. Thanks for letting me share.

Site Supporter
    Years ago, John Farnam told a bunch of us that he asked Gaston for a single stack and he said no. Wanted to maintain magazine commonality. But market forces prevail.

If they sell, that's what's counts. I'm sticking with my G26 - as I own already. Simple market driven answer. I did find the single stack a bit squirmy. But practice would take care of that.

I’m one of those that for literally decades wanted a 19 sized thinner single stack. I did wait until the all black ones came out, but I am hugely satisfied with my 48. Carry a lot, shoot a fair amount too - but it’s no range gun.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

It won't stop, humans being as they are... Look at how many still complain that J-frames only hold 5 and suck to shoot comfortably and accurately.

The vast majority of shooters won't change their factory sights. A company sending out guns with plastic place fillers is almost as cocked up as asking an eighteen year old girl to show you her "precious". Make all the excuse you want, it's an amateur hour move. Gaston isn't the least bit concerned. That corrupt old fucker sells every gun he makes.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I have been walking around with this for a while and decided, for no particular reason, to get this off my chest this morning. (Apparently I can’t wait for the Pfestivus to roll back around...) Please note that this is aimed at no one in particular even though various folks here have repeatedly made comments on this stuff; but I am sure that everyone who made the comments are better humans than me in every conceivable way. (I see the same comments all over the interwebz - so neither of these things are unique to us here.) Okay, with all the disclaimers out of the way, here goes.

Plastic Glock sights.
    Yes, they are shitty. No, they have do not have any place on a pistol intended for defensive use. But what they also are, is cheap. A way long time ago, at a Glock armorers course, I recall the instructor saying something to the effect that all Glocks were imported to the U.S. wearing the plastic sights (for the points, ya know), and once here, those were pulled off the guns to be replaced with night sights. What did Glock do with all the take-offs? You might think they would ship back to Austria and be re-used - but you would be wrong. Glock threw them away by the 55 gallon barrel full.

By selling Glocks with the shitty plastic sights (I think Glock calls them “slot fillers” or something like that.) you and I are able to buy the pistol without paying more for better sights that we will then replace/upgrade anyway. There you go. That’s the logic. Works for me. After trying a variety of aftermarket sights, I settled on a set-up that works for me. Any time a new Glock comes into the stable, the plastic sights come off, and the ones I like go on. And I *like it* that way. There is no way Glock would ever offer the sight configuration that I like as a factory option (I’m just not that lucky). Being able to ditch the placeholders that I paid nothing for and replace them with the sights I prefer is, to me, a pretty good win. (Just to pick on somebody famous, Mr. Guns n’ Gear cracks on the plastic sights all the time. I wish he would stop.)

The 43/43X/48 are not as comfortable to shoot all day as (fill in the full-sized pistol of your choice here).
    How long have we whined and complained for a single stack 9mm? Then we finally get them, and what do we do? Whine and complain that they are not as fun to shoot all day as a G34. C’mon guys. The little guns are to carry (and they carry amazingly well), not for marathon sessions at the range. I roll my eyes at reviewers (frequently on youtube - yeah I know) who ding the smaller guns for being harder to shoot and lacking in capacity as compared to their full-size brethren. Uhh, yeah. That’s like complaining that a Honda Civic won’t haul as much as a 3/4 ton pick-up. That ain’t what it was designed for.

Well alrighty then. Again, no malice here. I guess I feel better. Thanks for letting me share.
    For my edification, are you complaining about people............complaining?

Or, are you one of those hipsters being deliberately ironic

I'm good either way........

It’s funny that people complain about the plastic dovetail protection but don’t praise the excellent Ameriglo night sights that are a factory option.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

I bought a G34 not long ago just for shooting USPSA.

The only thing I did to the sights was take a black sharpie to that white "U" they have on the back.

There are many reasons I fail on certain stages but the sights ain't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Gaston isn't the least bit concerned. That corrupt old fucker sells every gun he makes.
    Now someone is getting close. Manufacturers don't look at how much will the price of one unit increase if they do... In this case they look at how much will it cost to outfit every pistol produced with XYZ sights. From a financial standpoint Glock is playing the game perfectly. They have no need to sink more money into their product in order to make it sell better.

I find a single-stack (in my case, a Walther PPS) very comfortable to carry and easy to conceal, but I fatigue more quickly with it than with the larger double-stack PPS. Happily I can shoot it as well as the PPQ, at least for the first 50 rounds or so.

User Tag List