Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ya’ll know we must have Gaston cussing under his breath, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Still better than front sights flying off at inopportune moments. Which is what happens to Glock fronts without Loctite...
    I Loctite, but I also give the front a wiggle every time I do any kind of PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    Which gun do you recommend for a novice shooter with bad to mediocre administrative gun handling skills?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I have Gaston cursing under his breath, because I’ve never bought a new Glock. And I rarely recommend them any more to new shooters. The mushy trigger is the reason why, not the crappy sights, but those don’t help. Neither do the long standing accuracy issues finally resolved with Gen 5. The questionable reliability of Gen4s didn’t help, either.

Finally, the lack of a manual safety, combined with generally poor administrative gun handling traits of most new shooters. I feel most folks are better served by other weapons out there. The M&P 2.0 with thumb safety, Shield EZ, and Shield 9 are all higher on the recommendation chain. The little nubbin’ safety in the Shield kind of sucks, but at least can be activated and used during admin handling.

Thanks.

I have a hard time finding the right pistol for those types of people. The safety will make us all safer.

Site Supporter
    Until they muzzle you and say “what are you bitching about, the safety is on....” true story.

These are usually the same people who don’t train working the safety and forget to take the safety off when they actually need to shoot.

There is no free lunch and fool proofing just results in more foolish fools.

No guns until one has proven to handle the weapon in a safe manner. Period. No excuses.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    No guns until one has proven to handle the weapon in a safe manner. Period. No excuses.
    If only. The person in question was a serving 1811 with a DOD Agency in pre-deployment training.

A few days later she had an ND with a slung M4 (safety off when it should have been on) which missed a coworkers foot by an inch.

Very much an attitude problem. I would summarize it as “I have a masters degree and guns are stupid” thus by extension the savages in the red shirts must be stupid and I don’t need to listen to them.

I have Gaston cursing under his breath, because I’ve never bought a new Glock. And I rarely recommend them any more to new shooters. The mushy trigger is the reason why, not the crappy sights, but those don’t help. Neither do the long standing accuracy issues finally resolved with Gen 5. The questionable reliability of Gen4s didn’t help, either.

Finally, the lack of a manual safety, combined with generally poor administrative gun handling traits of most new shooters. I feel most folks are better served by other weapons out there. The M&P 2.0 with thumb safety, Shield EZ, and Shield 9 are all higher on the recommendation chain. The little nubbin’ safety in the Shield kind of sucks, but at least can be activated and used during admin handling.
    Nailed it!

My thing about Glocks is somewhere along the line they became overpriced, unless you were law enforcement, etc. If you look at what a Taurus sells for, that's probably about the same as what a Glock should sell for considering the economy of scale.

For years people said the G19 was the perfect carry gun until the G48 was introduced. Suddenly it became perfection.

That being said, I have a few Glocks and didn't pay full price for any of them.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    One big thing that glock got right that other gun companies failed (for a carry gun) at was the intermediate size grip of the g19.

I do imagine that Glock kicked themselves for waiting to produce the g45 size after they saw the first year sales numbers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Nailed it!

My thing about Glocks is somewhere along the line they became overpriced, unless you were law enforcement, etc. If you look at what a Taurus sells for, that's probably about the same as what a Glock should sell for considering the economy of scale.

For years people said the G19 was the perfect carry gun until the G48 was introduced. Suddenly it became perfection.

That being said, I have a few Glocks and didn't pay full price for any of them.
    When Glock first came to the states they were looking at pricing the guns around $200 and an industry advisor got them to go about 400 which was still about 2/3 of what the popular service pistols at that time went for (92f, P226, 5906).

This is why SA re branded the $200 HS2000 into the XD.

I want to say the first Glock I bought new, a Glock 19 in 1992 was just under $500 including those new dangled nuclear night sights.

Glock prices have actually remained pretty flat over the last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    One big thing that glock got right that other gun companies failed (for a carry gun) at was the intermediate size grip of the g19.
    I’ll assume you are referring to the length of the G19 grip. The grip in the hand feels fatter then a G17 to those of use with smaller hands due to the hump placement. To bad GLOCK didn’t go the original route of the rare Gen 1 G19 that is a gut down 17 grip. It took a Gen 4 / no backstrap option 19 for me to ever consider one for carry.

User Tag List