Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Higginbotham on Shooting Center Mass...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I suspect that his different frame of reference is just to be different, and hence increase class attendance.
    Maybe. Or I could have taken it all completely out of context. We talked about a number of things. Terminal effectiveness was only a small part of the discussions.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Hits in the arms and legs take away an enemy combatant's ability to move which effectively takes him out of the fight.
    Not to pile on, but someone shot in an arm or leg can usually still shoot back, even if some decide not to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Not to pile on, but someone shot in an arm or leg can usually still shoot back, even if some decide not to do so.
    Again, different frame of reference.

Does the average Iraqi insurgent work on down and disabled techniques? For that matter does the average mugger practice this stuff?

It would be an interesting topic to discuss the practical aspects of this stuff too. How often do the techniques get used in reality?

Site Supporter
    Not much data, but in a match, in a kneeling stage, my bad knees gave out, putting me on the ground behind a barrel. Guess what, I still shot the targets from that position.

Shooting the genitals? Who's going to say shooting at a small target?

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    My Bad , sorry

Its a piece of paper approximately fourteen Opossum spleens in size.
    African or European opossum?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Maybe. Or I could have taken it all completely out of context. We talked about a number of things. Terminal effectiveness was only a small part of the discussions.

He might have been talking about an armored bad guy and good guy/s only have duty pistol ammo. That's the only valid reason not to go immediately high thoracic, neck, head. If you can shoot pelvis or limbs you can just as well shoot the head so even then...

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    African or European opossum?
    Green no blue aaaaaaaaarg
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    My Bad , sorry

Its a piece of paper approximately fourteen Opossum spleens in size.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I didn't know that anyone who knows what they are doing still teaches center mass. I thought that went out with Weaver.
    Agreed. The Chapman is superior to the Weaver for most scenarios not requiring shooting from retention.

Site Supporter
    Perhaps at the edge of my lane. While I have trained with people who have trained with JH and we have shared instructors ( Gunsite, TR, Tom Givens, Pat Rogers, John Hearne etc.), I have never trained with JH.

I have seen dozens of JH musings on a closed email group. Multiple people who I have trained with say he can still shoot and does not ask his students to do anything that he cannot do himself re shooting standards etc. He has an answer for everything he says. You may not like it, or agree with it, but it is clear he has thought about what he is saying.

This clip appears to demo a 5 shot drill, at 5 yrds or less given the big step off line in 3 seconds with 5 shots in a 5 inch group or less, definitely in the UPPER chest. (top of rib to bottom of sternumb, nipple to nipple-jugular notch to xiphoid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXk2WmBGY_M

I am told that he is an accomplished life long ( as in since he could hold a gun and walk) hunter in that he has shot thousands of animals in the 1 to 300 lb range at least. In my mind, he tends to extrapolate data from that POV. i.e. if 5.56 is not deemed worthy to dispatch a 150 lb dear in many locales, it is suspect to do the same with a motivated 150 lb human relative to other rounds.

I believe that many of his data points that he still relies on are older and as such, under represent new "datasets" re latest gen 9mm rounds particularly and .40 cal/.45 ACP to a lesser extent.

My take away from JH is--- aim small/miss small as fast as you must with as big a projectile as you can handle (i.e. .45 ACP). And MOVE when possible (Motionless Operators Ventilate Easily)

As I have said in other postings, If you are a dyed in the wool circa 1984 weaver shooter, non leo/mil/gov, and you are dry firing 5 mins a day 3 x a week and live firing with a plan 2x a month, you are highly likely to be just fine with your hyper weaver, bladed, elbow bent down, push/pull, thumb over thumb self. If you wear body armor on a daily basis, I would assert you should square up more than "classic" weaver has been said to dictate to get to armor out front but otherwise rock on with your weaver self.

User Tag List