Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliable, lightweight lever action carbine in pistol calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I bought an 1894c in June have about 1k rounds through it. Once I got the magazine spring sorted, it's been great.

It wasn't "unreliable" prior to me trimming the magazine spring, I could just barely get the damn thing loaded. A little research reveals that Marlin uses the same SKU for the magazine spring whether the gun has a 16" or 22" barrel. Mine clearly hadn't been trimmed from the factory.

I put a set of XS sights, a red dot and a TLR on mine and it's the bees knees.
    Got any pics of this setup around?
    Sounds like something I might need... plus the more lever gun pics the better....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

All of the magnum pistol calibers become a different animal from a rifle length barrel.
    Important note to anyone reading that this could possibly be a bad thing if the impact velocity of the bullet is above the thresh hold it was designed for. Select your ammo carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by swampyank33 View Post
    Got any pics of this setup around?
    Sounds like something I might need... plus the more lever gun pics the better....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Name:  marlin.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  45.3 KB

Crappy cell phone pic is the best I can do at the moment...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Important note to anyone reading that this could possibly be a bad thing if the impact velocity of the bullet is above the thresh hold it was designed for. Select your ammo carefully.

Absolutely.

When it comes to .357, I think about any 125 grain load is Right Out. I've had great luck with American Eagle's .357 158 grain JSP out of both a 4" revolver and 18.5" rifle.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post

I won't mention the 77/357 since you asked about lever guns. Grin...
    I will. One of those is on my short list for a ban-state "scout" type rifle. One could put a Leupy FX 2.5 on it, and still be within spitting distance of 6 lbs, rings included.

When it comes to .357, I think about any 125 grain load is Right Out. I've had great luck with American Eagle's .357 158 grain JSP out of both a 4" revolver and 18.5" rifle.
    PMC’s 158 JSP also moves right along out of 18.5". Affordable, and punchy.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Name:  marlin.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  45.3 KB

Crappy cell phone pic is the best I can do at the moment...
    Sa-weet!

Nice set up! Walt would be proud ...

Name:  92-3.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  32.7 KB

I have a Rossi 92. It's stainless, with a 16 inch barrel. I kept this as inexpensive as possible for a beater rifle, something I could abuse and not fret about if I drop it, scratch it, etc. And it's become one of my favorites. It's very handy and light.

With 357 mag 158 grain soft points, which travel at around 1700 - 1750 fps out of this barrel, it's surprisingly accurate. I've never had a malfunction, and I think I've put somewhere around 1,000 - 1,500 rounds through it.

I did do a little bit of work on it, but not much. The most significant thing was to lighten the spring on the loading gate to make loading a little easier.
    Ordinary guy

In a pistol caliber I like the Marlin and the Taylor’s 1892. In particular, the Taylor’s is available as a takedown. 357 is a whole different cartridge out of a 16” barrel and punches way above its’ weight (pardon the pun).

A 16” (often referred to as a Trapper) in 30/30 is dandy too. In any case, I’d stick to a 16” barrel as they are much handier than the longer rifles.

An N Frame Smith like a Model 28 or a Ruger GP-100 in 357 paired with a like caliber carbine is a fine combination. Also has the advantage of less expensive 38 special ammo for practice.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Absolutely.

I was thinking Hornady 158 gr XTP might work well out of a 16" barrel. Easy & cheap to reload a duplicate practice round

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I will. One of those is on my short list for a ban-state "scout" type rifle. One could put a Leupy FX 2.5 on it, and still be within spitting distance of 6 lbs, rings included.

PMC’s 158 JSP also moves right along out of 18.5". Affordable, and punchy.
    I do like the rotary magazine

User Tag List