Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Reliable, lightweight lever action carbine in pistol calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This is where I've found much of my useful 1894 info:

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/

Burrow around through the links there with all this free time you have.

Remember, it's a gun forum...

Thanks for the link! Actually I'm still one of the few still working.

I took my 1894 .44 out a couple days ago. The loads I had with me were not overly impressive, so I did not take pics. I am going to load up some powder coated bullets next, along with some jacketed. I know it likes jacketed loads. I will also take some hard cast loads with H110 rather than my standard Unique I normally shoot and see how it does with those. It has been a while since I fiddled with this carbine and I am questioning my memory on which non jacketed loads I recall it liked. I really need to start taking notes, as I just cannot remember things apparently due to getting my brain rattled overseas a few times, or I am a tard.. .

Anyways, I also took out my 336 16" LTS "Marauder" 30-30 and it while it did not like a cast bullet handload I made for it, I understand why. I loaded with Varget, and was pushing it too fast, which often will cause the projectile to skid down the bore instead of catching the lands and grooves. The 165 grain bullets needed to either have gas checks attached to the bullets or choose a powder that provided a slower velocity. I figured the load was in the 1800 fps range. That particular part of load development was a no-go, but it was good to know. The next batch I will likely just load 10 grains Unique and see what kind of results I get.

The factory ammo for that particular rifle shot very well. I had some really old Rem Core-Lokts and some newer Federal stuff, both 170 grain. Both shot very well. While I did not bring a Chrono with me, it was obvious using highly technical equipment (my shoulder and the muzzle blast) that the Fed stuff was quite a bit hotter. I only had about 10 rounds of Remington and it was pretty soft shooting and it shot a nice cluster. The first time I touched off one of the Federal rounds the recoil was significantly more and even in daylight I could see an orange ball of flame from the muzzle. They are quite a bit warmer. Just a guess, but I bet there is a solid 150-200 fps between the two.

The Federal shot very well. I was shooting over the hood of my old Land Cruiser using an old folded up blanket and this is the result at 150 yards.

I ended up adjusting and zeroing for 150. The interesting part is there was pretty much no significant drop between 100 and 150.

I figured from about 175 yards or so and in, it is pretty much a "point and shoot" type gun for deer size objects.

CHEERS Friends!

I love those old straight grip marlins

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

I took my 1894 .44 out a couple days ago. The loads I had with me were not overly impressive, so I did not take pics. I am going to load up some powder coated bullets next, along with some jacketed. I know it likes jacketed loads. I will also take some hard cast loads with H110 rather than my standard Unique I normally shoot and see how it does with those. It has been a while since I fiddled with this carbine and I am questioning my memory on which non jacketed loads I recall it liked. I really need to start taking notes, as I just cannot remember things apparently due to getting my brain rattled overseas a few times, or I am a tard.. .

Anyways, I also took out my 336 16" LTS "Marauder" 30-30 and it while it did not like a cast bullet handload I made for it, I understand why. I loaded with Varget, and was pushing it too fast, which often will cause the projectile to skid down the bore instead of catching the lands and grooves. The 165 grain bullets needed to either have gas checks attached to the bullets or choose a powder that provided a slower velocity. I figured the load was in the 1800 fps range. That particular part of load development was a no-go, but it was good to know. The next batch I will likely just load 10 grains Unique and see what kind of results I get.

The factory ammo for that particular rifle shot very well. I had some really old Rem Core-Lokts and some newer Federal stuff, both 170 grain. Both shot very well. While I did not bring a Chrono with me, it was obvious using highly technical equipment (my shoulder and the muzzle blast) that the Fed stuff was quite a bit hotter. I only had about 10 rounds of Remington and it was pretty soft shooting and it shot a nice cluster. The first time I touched off one of the Federal rounds the recoil was significantly more and even in daylight I could see an orange ball of flame from the muzzle. They are quite a bit warmer. Just a guess, but I bet there is a solid 150-200 fps between the two.

The Federal shot very well. I was shooting over the hood of my old Land Cruiser using an old folded up blanket and this is the result at 150 yards.

I ended up adjusting and zeroing for 150. The interesting part is there was pretty much no significant drop between 100 and 150.

I figured from about 175 yards or so and in, it is pretty much a "point and shoot" type gun for deer size objects.

CHEERS Friends!
    Mercy. When/if the zombies come, the Mad Max apocylips happens you can do a lot of work with those rifles.
    In the mean time, you can do a lot of work with those rifles

16" straight stocked Trappers are handy and potent little carbines. They are at home in pickups, 4 wheelers, strapped to saddles, motorcycles, or backpacks. They carry very naturally and can handle most chores that need done if the shooter is up to the task.

Mine wear simple 4x compact American made Burris scopes and that is really all I need for what I am going to do with them.

I was just talking to a friend today and was considering dusting off my KLR 650 enduro bike as soon as my hand heals (carpal tunnel surgery 3 weeks ago) and strapping one of the trappers to it as my traveling companion, and taking a ride for a couple days into the hills as soon as the snow melts off in the high country a bit more.

Beats going crazy with cabin fever!

I once did a 3 month canoe/hike/hunt trip with my walker Jack. I fed us with my single six, blackhawkb and 16" .45 m92.

That m92 has been run pretty ragged. Im not sure whats causing the accuracy issues right now but it used to be a nail driver. Well, 4 moa. Now im not so sure. I need to some work with it.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The issue I ran into with cast bullets in 30-30 was profile and barrel throat. On the older Winchester’s, the throat tends to be very shallow, which causes issues with chambering. The only bullets that tend to be free of the issue are the lighter (125gr) varieties which in my case, tend to be in accurate. I did mess with Unique a bit, but while accuracy was decent, leading was not.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I once did a 3 month canoe/hike/hunt trip with my walker Jack. I fed us with my single six, blackhawkb and 16" .45 m92.

That m92 has been run pretty ragged. Im not sure whats causing the accuracy issues right now but it used to be a nail driver. Well, 4 moa. Now im not so sure. I need to some work with it.
    A 3 month long trip with just a dog, a carbine and a sidearm would be heaven..

I know some places where I could flat disappear in the back country.

Not really a likelihood with minions these days, but sure sounds good.

Even a couple weeks would do wonders for the soul.

Name:  20200405_004246.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  20.5 KB
    Name:  20200405_004403.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  22.4 KB
    Name:  Effect_20161116_204024-432123.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  21.1 KB
    Glock and AK on this trip
    Name:  1508676349520474616800-340548-432110.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  71.8 KB
    Our everyday boat trip for 10 years
    Name:  20200405_004628.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  25.4 KB

Jacks gone and my son is almost 2. I cant wait untill i can take him out in the woods for a couple weeks

Those pics are all kinds of awesome. I'd make sure there are plenty of digital copies around for future generations.

User Tag List