Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliable, lightweight lever action carbine in pistol calibers?

What s this dreaded "Marlin Jam" I keep reading about on the interwebs? Fact or myth? Rare or common?

Site Supporter
    I picked up my marlin 1894 CST. I really like it. I will be ordering a saddle ring to replace the cross bolt safety. I want to add an Aimpoint T1 but I don’t want to mount it on the receiver. I am trying to keep the center clear. I want to mount it on the barrel using the dovetail for the rear sight. Any suggestions besides the XS scout rail?

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    What s this dreaded "Marlin Jam" I keep reading about on the interwebs? Fact or myth? Rare or common?
    Its a fact, not sure of how common, but common enough there seems to be plenty of people that have had it happen.

I dont know the details, Ive seen it mentioned numerous times on the leverguns forum. The Marlin owners forum may be a good place to find out also. There may be a preemptive fix, I dont recall details, as Im not a regular Marlin user.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I picked up my marlin 1894 CST. I really like it. I will be ordering a saddle ring to replace the cross bolt safety. I want to add an Aimpoint T1 but I don’t want to mount it on the receiver. I am trying to keep the center clear. I want to mount it on the barrel using the dovetail for the rear sight. Any suggestions besides the XS scout rail?
    http://www.skinnersights.com/scope_mounts_31.html

Somewhere in that list is a rear sight dovetail pic rail... no personal experience but I recalled seeing it before.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    With GJM on this for a camping gun, a pistol caliber is probably fine where you are going,but the .45-70 is enough of a "camp gun" for anywhere in the lower 48. I got a part from Beartooth Mercantile to replace the silly crossbolt safety. I prefer 405gr hardcast loaded at "cowboy" velocities, mine run about 1250 fps from this little beast and I find those quite tolerable, several manufacturers like HSM make loads in that range. Hill People stock saddle and XS rear sight.

Attachment 48747

My second choice would be some form of '92 in .44 Magnum or my Benelli M1S90 with slugs.

I really want one of those Chiappa takedown '92's at some point. Something I could fly with that does not have to go in a separate "this is a rifle" case through the luggage systems.
    Fatdog or in my part of heaven on earth.. "Fatdawg"!

That peep rear pairs up fine with the stock marlin front sight?!! That is an intriguing set up you have.. is that the 1895GBL you have there?? That combo would work for anything in the lower 48 and be right handy to boot....
    Johnny Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    That peep rear pairs up fine with the stock marlin front sight?!! is that the 1895GBL you have there??
    Nah, I had to drift in a slightly taller front sight into their dovetail, picked one up from brownells but it was the same type gold bead front that came with the gun. The rear is an XS and if I had to do it over I would have purchased the set that is their front (including the base) and rear set. It would have been easier than fitting the whole front dovetail. Had to put a filler in the factory rear sight slot. The gun is the GBL and Academy put them on sale a couple of years ago for $499, I could not resist. The loading gate was quite stiff and needed some serious lightening, but the sum of "fixes" were the sights, the gate fix and the Beartooth Mercantile replacement for the cross bolt safety.

Just an fyi. A M1 cartridge belt will hold 20 speed strips perfectly

Rossi 92 44 mag

Deleted to make new thread
    Last edited by 4given; 03-10-2020 at 04:27 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    It's a real shame the Remington 7615 isn't as durable as it ought to be. That would be a great ban-state rifle if it weren't just a cool looking hunting rifle
    Wow. Lucky week for this seller. Currently at $1225.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/860248016
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Closed at $1525.15.

Wow. Maybe Remington can put them back into production and dig out of bankruptcy.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List