Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliable, lightweight lever action carbine in pistol calibers?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    One thing had not considered about a lever gun for use in California is most places of hoplophobia also forbid weapons to be transported loaded or ammo attached. When I will need to transport the rifle in my vehicle it has to be unloaded and in a locked case. Lever guns are kind of a pain to load and unload. Not a deal breaker but it is a consideration.
    This is a really good point and exactly why I don't use my Rossi 92 as a truck gun or house gun or whatever. I use a Valtro PM 5, in fact, precisely because I can keep the ammo separate.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've read in the past that plastic shells have a tendency to deform and take a set if left loaded in a box magazine for a long time, which can cause feeding issues. I've been waiting for reports of that issue to surface with the Remington. Any issues on your Valtro?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    One thing had not considered about a lever gun for use in California is most places of hoplophobia also forbid weapons to be transported loaded or ammo attached. When I will need to transport the rifle in my vehicle it has to be unloaded and in a locked case. Lever guns are kind of a pain to load and unload. Not a deal breaker but it is a consideration.
    This wrinkle makes the Henry levers look a bit more attractive, because you can dump the tube in a jiffy by pulling the tube spring assembly. Either that, or:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

+1 on Marlin. I have a 94c 357 mag and a 94cb in 44 mag. Both are reliable, accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I have XS Sights on both of them. Another +1 for the 1894 XS Sights.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've read in the past that plastic shells have a tendency to deform and take a set if left loaded in a box magazine for a long time, which can cause feeding issues. I've been waiting for reports of that issue to surface with the Remington. Any issues on your Valtro?
    Never seen it but wouldn't dispute the possibility...a mag of buck won't break the bank though so mine just gets shot once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think in that case I'd go for a box magazine fed bolt action rifle.
    Or an M1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think in that case I'd go for a box magazine fed bolt action rifle.
    Browning BLR in .223 or .308

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Or a Savage 99c in .243 Win 4 round detachable mag ...
    Last edited by 4given; 02-20-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This wrinkle makes the Henry levers look a bit more attractive, because you can dump the tube in a jiffy by pulling the tube spring assembly. Either that, or:
    The Ruger 77/357 is pretty neat but now we are down to a five round mag. Life is full of compromises it seems..... I'll take a closer look at the Henry's ...

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Nice Rifle 4 round mag

User Tag List