Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliable, lightweight lever action carbine in pistol calibers?

Reliable, lightweight lever action carbine in pistol calibers?

It won't be too long that my wife & I will be wintering on the Colorado river along the border of Arizona & California. We will be spending a significant about of time camped on the California side.

Just to avoid hassles, for handguns, we will be taking revolvers with us. I've been entertaining the notion to purchase a reliable, lightweight lever action carbine in a pistol caliber like .357 mag since I won't be taking an AR.

Any suggestions / advise / discussion?

Thanks!

How much do you want to spend? Do you want to mount a sight or WML to it? Do you want a traditional gun or something more modern?

Rossi 92 for a less expensive, traditional, slick carbine. Marlin 1894 if you can afford something more expensive and would like to mount stuff to it. XS does make a scout rail and sights for the Rossi but there's more options for the Marlin.

I've heard mixed things about the Henry rifles, I haven't paid as much attention to them though. The new X model is available in .357, has a side gate, and is ready to mount stuff on.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Marlin would be a very safe bet.

But if you can find one of the Ruger lever guns I'd be all over it.

I won't mention the 77/357 since you asked about lever guns. Grin...

I bought an 1894c in June have about 1k rounds through it. Once I got the magazine spring sorted, it's been great.

It wasn't "unreliable" prior to me trimming the magazine spring, I could just barely get the damn thing loaded. A little research reveals that Marlin uses the same SKU for the magazine spring whether the gun has a 16" or 22" barrel. Mine clearly hadn't been trimmed from the factory.

I put a set of XS sights, a red dot and a TLR on mine and it's the bees knees.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    How much do you want to spend? Do you want to mount a sight or WML to it? Do you want a traditional gun or something more modern?

Rossi 92 for a less expensive, traditional, slick carbine. Marlin 1894 if you can afford something more expensive and would like to mount stuff to it. XS does make a scout rail and sights for the Rossi but there's more options for the Marlin.

I've heard mixed things about the Henry rifles, I haven't paid as much attention to them though. The new X model is available in .357, has a side gate, and is ready to mount stuff on.
    I really don't know how much I want to spend. Not a ton if I don't have to.

From what I have been reading, the Rossi 92 might fit the bill; short barrel , under 5 pounds, slick action, reasonably accurate for what it is and what I want it for. Dosen't draw attention by looking too "tactical, black & evil". I think I read that Rossi sells a scope mount for it. I might want to put a 'traditional" looking optic on it at some point like a low power scope or red dot. Nothing fancy.

Thing is I usually don't hear the words "Rossi" and reliable used in the same sentence. I am not passing judgment on them yet having no experience with one (hey I'm not prejdiced I own a Taurus 865! LOL) Do you own a Rossi 92? I would love to hear more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    Marlin would be a very safe bet.

But if you can find one of the Ruger lever guns I'd be all over it.

I won't mention the 77/357 since you asked about lever guns. Grin...
    96/44?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I bought an 1894c in June have about 1k rounds through it. Once I got the magazine spring sorted, it's been great.

It wasn't "unreliable" prior to me trimming the magazine spring, I could just barely get the damn thing loaded. A little research reveals that Marlin uses the same SKU for the magazine spring whether the gun has a 16" or 22" barrel. Mine clearly hadn't been trimmed from the factory.

I put a set of XS sights, a red dot and a TLR on mine and it's the bees knees.
    A Marlin is definitely in contention. Again, traditional "non threatening" looks. Accurate and presumably reliable. Easy to mount an optic.

What caliber is yours? Are they all .38/357?

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I really don't know how much I want to spend. Not a ton if I don't have to.

From what I have been reading, the Rossi 92 might fit the bill; short barrel , under 5 pounds, slick action, reasonably accurate for what it is and what I want it for. Dosen't draw attention by looking too "tactical, black & evil". I think I read that Rossi sells a scope mount for it. I might want to put a 'traditional" looking optic on it at some point like a low power scope or red dot. Nothing fancy.

Thing is I usually don't hear the words "Rossi" and reliable used in the same sentence. I am not passing judgment on them yet having no experience with one (hey I'm not prejdiced I own a Taurus 865! LOL) Do you own a Rossi 92? I would love to hear more about it.
    I don't own one but I'm seriously thinking about getting one. I love the old west look of them. The lever actions might be the only good thing with Rossi's name on it.

The Rossi runs about $550, a new Marlin 1894 can go just south of $1,000. My LGS has an 1894 "JM" stamped gun in .44 mag for $550, you might be able to find a .357 on GB for close to that with a blued finish and more traditional look.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

96/44?
    Yes.

A Marlin is definitely in contention. Again, traditional "non threatening" looks. Accurate and presumably reliable. Easy to mount an optic.

What caliber is yours? Are they all .38/357?
    My 1894c is a .357. I bought it for about $650 from KY Gun Co.

They make variants of the 1894 in .357, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt with barrel lengths from 18.5" to 22" or so.

All of the magnum pistol calibers become a different animal from a rifle length barrel.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List