Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The MK18 Thread

The MK18 Thread

Sometimes a configuration just hits a sweet spot. This is that; at least for me. I got my first SBR in 2012 as a Form 4 Daniel Defense MK18. It was everything I hoped it would be. Shortly after I added an AAC M4-2000. I initially set the gun up much like the one below with an Aimpoint T1, a BCM grip, a Surefire light and a Geissele trigger. After awhile I decided to swap out the factory DD RIS II rail for a Geissele for a couple reasons:

1. The Geissele is lighter
    2. The RIS II's bring stupid money
    3. I wanted to see what all the Geissele hype was about.

Since then I've owned a few different configurations including trying a 30mm Aimpoint, folding sights, etc. In putting this one together, I selected each component to be exactly what I wanted based on experience. I prefer a T1 Aimpoint to a 30mm for size, weight, and battery life. They're also durable as hell (see the DD torture test video as well as firsthand feedback from mil and le friends. I prefer a fixed front sight. I like having the front sight there to help visually track the dot and on a couple of occasions the KAC 99015 "clone correct" sight would get bumped and partially fold. I like an X300 at 12:00 because it's compact and completely ambidextrous. The DD front and X300 go together like PB&J. I like a VFG on a short rifle like this. Otherwise, my wrist gets put at a painful angle. I don't "broom handle" it, but rather grip it similarly to how I put my support hand on a pistol. This also works great for light activation. I like the MK4 Geissele rail because it has integral sling QD's at the front as well as at the rear so I don't have to spend money on a sling attachment, nor does it add weight; plus it's a great thumb rest for when I'm not using the light.

Here's the full spec sheet for this build:
    Lower:
    Daniel Defense Form 4 SBR
    Magpul CTR stock with enhanced pad
    Factory H buffer with additional H weight to make "H2."
    Colt carbine action spring
    Geissele SD-E trigger
    BCM Mod 1 grip
    Geissele bolt catch

Upper:
    BCM blem upper (wow that barrel/receiver fit is TIGHT)
    Colt factory 10.3" M4 profile barrel (FSB shaved by yours truly)
    Geissele 9.5" MK 4 MLOK rail, DDC
    Colt FA BCG
    BCM Mod 4 charging handle

Accessories:
    AAC M4-2000 suppressor with 51-T Blackout Flashhider
    Surefire X300U in tan
    Daniel Defense fixed front sight
    Magpul MBUS PRO rear sight
    Aimpoint T1 4MOA in OG Daniel Defense 1pc lower 1/3 mount
    Blue Force Gear VCAS sling in tan with QD swivels and 2 to 1 conversion

I was fortunate to hit the range with @karmapolice yesterday and get it zeroed at 100 with my preferred 62 grain Gold Dot load. Who says you can't shoot tighter than 4moa with a 4moa optic???

Then I ran a few hundred through it to make sure it runs well. 100% performance as expected across a multitude of exercises. Here's the last stage of the VTAC half and half. I ghosted the trigger on the first press and only fired 9...oops.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_I9mYopGYz/

And here she is in all her photogenic glory. "Just right."

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

@TGS and @psalms144.1 have experience with Mk18s. My job issues 11.5” guns so I’ve had no experience with the 10.3”/10.5” guns. They sure do look cool though.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

@ASH556, join the fun over in the thread we got going on: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tol-SBR-thread

They're certainly great guns. We use the DD Mk18 at work and I've got one for myself as well.

Got out today to shoot it. Pinging steel at 300 with the Aimpoint H2 was easy when rested. 200 standing wasn't too bad, either, but I'm the limiting factor there.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It's a great rifle.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

The MK18 Thread

The fun outdoor shooting areas are outside of my permitted lockdown zone, but I’ve got 165 through my new one to zero and verify function. I like it a lot and can’t wait to do some real shooting with it. I also just did the paperwork to get a trust because it definitely needs a SOPMOD stock to balance it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only contribution to this thread - stripped DD MK18 uppers on sale at Brownells for 1 more week - https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod81194.aspx

KAC IWS lower with a 10.5” LMT MWS upper topped off with Aimpoint Micro, DBAL-A3, Surefire Scout, and Surefire SOCOM2.

Name:  LMT MRP CQB #1.jpg
Views: 2486
Size:  41.4 KB
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

LMT Mk.18, RIS II.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Here is the 10” SCAR-16S CQC version with Aimpoint Micro, ATPIAL, Surefire SOCOM2.

Name:  SCAR 16S #7.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  SCAR 16S #9.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  73.2 KB
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    My only contribution to this thread - stripped DD MK18 uppers on sale at Brownells for 1 more week - https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod81194.aspx
    I can confirm these feature the newer barrels with crane spec gas ports.

User Tag List