Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliable, lightweight lever action carbine in pistol calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    The Ruger 77/357 is pretty neat but now we are down to a five round mag. Life is full of compromises it seems..... I'll take a closer look at the Henry's ...
    I live in a pretty rural area, but honestly quickly deploying a long gun out of a vehicle is a pretty low priority for me on a day to day basis.

If the North Korean paratroopers are getting dropped in my valley, then I'll just drive around with the rifle loaded, because likely the sheriffs office will have other things to do.

For a civilian rifle fight, rationally I want to say five rounds has a pretty good chance of being "enough," but my gut says I want more rounds just in case.

My issue with the magazine fed lever guns, like the Savage 99, BLR and Long Ranger is that I'm not sure how well they will hold up to a training regimen of thousands of rounds. They are great hunting rifles but not quite what I'm looking for.

If speed of loading and reloading is a concern, and a semi-auto is off the table, something like a Ruger Scout starts to look attractive to me.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"The Ruger 77/357 is pretty neat but now we are down to a five round mag."

One of the Ruger American Ranch ones that takes AR (or AICS or mini-30, depending on caliber) mags might be a nice option.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I live in a pretty rural area, but honestly quickly deploying a long gun out of a vehicle is a pretty low priority for me on a day to day basis.

If the North Korean paratroopers are getting dropped in my valley, then I'll just drive around with the rifle loaded, because likely the sheriffs office will have other things to do.

For a civilian rifle fight, rationally I want to say five rounds has a pretty good chance of being "enough," but my gut says I want more rounds just in case.

My issue with the magazine fed lever guns, like the Savage 99, BLR and Long Ranger is that I'm not sure how well they will hold up to a training regimen of thousands of rounds. They are great hunting rifles but not quite what I'm looking for.

If speed of loading and reloading is a concern, and a semi-auto is off the table, something like a Ruger Scout starts to look attractive to me.
    Actually, speed of unloading / reloading for the rifle I choose for my purpose is not a big deal, just a convenience issue. It will mostly be a camp gun that stays inside the RV unless it goes out into the desert with me to shoot some targets. Needs to be fairly capable for defensive purposes should the need arise God forbid. Not sure of the Cali-rules if I decide to take it out on an ATV trail ride.

I think size, weight, fast handling, decent accuracy and capacity in a capable pistol cambering are my main criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    "The Ruger 77/357 is pretty neat but now we are down to a five round mag."

One of the Ruger American Ranch ones that takes AR (or AICS or mini-30, depending on caliber) mags might be a nice option.
    I wasn’t aware of these. I’ll take a look

this itch just won't go away

I had poor luck with a RemLin (all of this took place in SE PA) and wouldn't do that again (in fact traded at a loss). Cosmetics were border line but nothing lined up when I started to put the "usual suspects" of XS sights accessories aboard.
    But, karmic balance reared it's elegance in design: a pre-lock, Rossi (Interarms imported) jumped out and I've had to do nothing but shoot it and long for a good aperture sight. This gun's not only a tack driver but recoil seems almost like a gallery gun. The most accurate load is the Black Hills, red-box 158gr JHPs.

It's a real shame the Remington 7615 isn't as durable as it ought to be. That would be a great ban-state rifle if it weren't just a cool looking hunting rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Do standard 870 upgrades apply to the 7615?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by iveschris View Post
    But, karmic balance reared it's elegance in design: a pre-lock, Rossi (Interarms imported) jumped out and I've had to do nothing but shoot it and long for a good aperture sight. This gun's not only a tack driver but recoil seems almost like a gallery gun. The most accurate load is the Black Hills, red-box 158gr JHPs.
    I had my old Puma in 357 tapped for a Williams 5D peep. Works with the stock front too.

I’ll likely have an XS white stripe front dovetailed in at some point as my factory front is integral to the barrel band and irritatingly was made slightly off center... it’s accurate as is but visually... obtuse to me.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Do standard 870 upgrades apply to the 7615?
    I know you can use 870 furniture but I don't think there's anything that can be done for the internals.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

SO ... I am really starting to gravitate toward the Rossi 92. I'd like to handle one in 16" and 20". I have a feeling the difference in barrel length wont matter much to me but you never know. I doubt any nearby LGS will have one in stock for me to fondle.

Which iteration of these would be the best built? Interarms, current Braztech or what ever else there is? The safety on the newer ones turn me off. I know you can replace it with a peep site but I wonder about liability if it had to be deployed in defensive manner.

User Tag List