Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliable, lightweight lever action carbine in pistol calibers?

Quote Originally Posted by paul105 View Post
    It works fine. Use it, ignore it, remove it, or replace it with peep sight made for the hole ( https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...20nbuq2amgap37 ). It's in an odd location and not conducive to rapid disengagement.

I just ignore it but have one of stevesgunz peeps to replace it with - just haven't got to it.

I think it was Jeff Cooper who said leave the chamber empty and jack a round into the chamber as you shoulder the weapon. Or -- many ways to skin the cat.

Don't know when it was added.

I think you can replace the Marlin Cross Bolt with a screw or Saddle Ring. Found it https://beartoothmercantile.com/basi...-marlin-rifle/ and https://beartoothmercantile.com/saddle-ring/

Paul
    Thanks for the input and the links!

One last thing

Whatever you decide on, it's a good idea to replace the plastic magazine follower with a metal one. Beartooth Mercantile linked above offers them for both Marlin and Rossi.

Don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Enjoy the journey.

Paul

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    What is the issue with the plastic follower, other than getting cleaning solvent it doesn't like in the tube? Do they come apart or stick?

I was kind of a skeptic on the "half cock" setup for Marlins until I had my 1894 apart and understood how it actually works. (Also, the hammer in mine had been dropped, damaging the half-cock catch and didn't really work right until I fixed it.) With the half-cock feature functioning, the crossbolt safety truly is as superfluous as Krusty's third nipple.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"I think you can replace the Marlin Cross Bolt with a screw or Saddle Ring. "

If you put an appropriately sized O-ring on the cross bolt safety it will immobilize it, but you can revert to OEM condition by removing the O-ring.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    What is the issue with the plastic follower, other than getting cleaning solvent it doesn't like in the tube? Do they come apart or............

Per stevesgunz "The plastic tends to swell, crack and hang up with time."

Paul

Site Supporter
    I just traded a few guns for a new 1894CST .357mag. I can’t believe I paid $955 bucks for a lever action but if it’s a good one I won’t care. I plan on getting a form 1 suppressor for it and a red dot; and then shooting it a lot. The beartooth mercantile safety to saddle ring replacement pushed me over the edge

Garand Thumb did a video on the Marlin 1894 CSG a few months back and he liked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

One thing had not considered about a lever gun for use in California is most places of hoplophobia also forbid weapons to be transported loaded or ammo attached. When I will need to transport the rifle in my vehicle it has to be unloaded and in a locked case. Lever guns are kind of a pain to load and unload. Not a deal breaker but it is a consideration.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Yeah. The Fightlite SCR makes some sense in that state. I believe it, like the Mini 14, bypasses the eevil pistol grip rule.

CA is not the only place that forbids vehicular transport of loaded long guns. Quite a few people have "pistol" ARs for that reason. However, CA's AWB captures any handgun that doesn't feed the magazine through the grip. I also believe the "trunk of the vehicle" if it is not accessible from the passenger compartment counts as a locked case for the vehicular transport rule.

Maybe one of those long-tube speed loaders for the lever gun would solve that problem to get it into action faster. http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/rubiconspeedloader.htm
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 02-19-2020 at 07:48 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    One thing had not considered about a lever gun for use in California is most places of hoplophobia also forbid weapons to be transported loaded or ammo attached. When I will need to transport the rifle in my vehicle it has to be unloaded and in a locked case. Lever guns are kind of a pain to load and unload. Not a deal breaker but it is a consideration.
    I think in that case I'd go for a box magazine fed bolt action rifle.

My 1894c shoots as fast as lightening but she loads a mite slow
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List