Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to buy defensive ammo? Restricted to LEO only?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia View Post
    Ordered 50 rds of LE Speer Gold dot Plus P from Target Sports due to arrive today. Hopefully make it out to the range to shoot through both my Nano's

I joined Target Sports and have saved much money over the $99.00 membership fees. Most orders are bulk, but do on occasion order just one box or a few boxes to try out certain ammo like this order. All orders no matter how big or how small ship free to my doorstep. 22, centerfire, shotgun. etc. Makes it nice. Have tried out a whole like of Buckshot in the past year as I can only use Buckshot for Deer as a example. A lot of ammo always being shipped

This is the free gift example you get every year. 4 boxes of 22.cal and a powder coated ammo box.

Outdoor Limited just started a similar program. I haven't signed up (yet) as SGAmmo is getting all my business right now while they're still not collecting sales tax. If they start, then it'll be fair game to find the best deals again. At that point, it might be worth one of the membership deals.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Outdoor Limited just started a similar program. I haven't signed up (yet) as SGAmmo is getting all my business right now while they're still not collecting sales tax. If they start, then it'll be fair game to find the best deals again. At that point, it might be worth one of the membership deals.
    If I am reading this correctly, Outdoor LTD is free shipping only on the initial order and fee shipping on orders of over $99.00 thereafter. Target is fee shipping on any and every order no amount necessary. Even one Box. I ordered the Speer for example to just try out. One box. I did not want to place a bulk load or order more than $99.00. This works out well for me to try different defense loads, shotgun loads, small caliber loads like 32. etc.

OUTDOOR
    Purchasing the buyer's club membership automatically receives free shipping on the initial order
    Free shipping on all orders over $99 including Ammo for one year
    Exclusive member only deals
    Early event notification so that you get the deals first
    Priority order processing
    One year membership
    Last edited by Old Virginia; 02-17-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia View Post
    If I am reading this correctly, Outdoor LTD is free shipping only on the initial order and fee shipping on orders of over $99.00 thereafter. Target is fee shipping on any and every order no amount necessary. Even one Box. I ordered the Speer for example to just try out. One box. I did not want to place a bulk load or order more than $99.00. This works out well for me to try different defense loads, shotgun loads, small caliber loads like 32. etc.

Purchasing the buyer's club membership automatically receives free shipping on the initial order
    Free shipping on all orders over $99 including Ammo for one year
    Exclusive member only deals
    Early event notification so that you get the deals first
    Priority order processing
    One year membership
    Yeah, true statement. I have liked Outdoor Limited, never have done any business with Target Sports. Again, it comes down to sales tax for me at the moment. I generally am going to buy $99 or more worth of stuff. The only time I usually buy less than that is the few times I find myself in a brick and mortar store and could use a few supplemental boxes at a price similar to what I buy online.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    SGAmmo.com

Pretty sure this is the #1 site for P-F, Gun Jesus, and even half-wits like me.

The only downside is they are often out of popular defensive ammo (especially in 50 packs), so it pays to visit often and pounce when it is in stock. At least that has been my experience with Speer short barrel .38s and .357.

OTOH, if you are good with any load off "the list," they almost always have something in stock for popular calibers at a good price.

Shipping is very prompt.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Thanks for replies.
    Looks like for small amount of defensive ammo, shipping is a big chunk.
    As others have suggested, buy some range ammo too. Nice thing about SG is it tells you how much you can add to your order before more shipping kicks in. It is also a good site for "odd," so if you have something exotic, you could stock up on that.

Their selection of shotgun ammo is great too, and S&B is cheap. (Unfortunately, I believe none of their loads feature plated shot)
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

OTOH, if you are good with any load off "the list," they almost always have something in stock for popular calibers at a good price.

Shipping is very prompt.
    That's largely why I switched to Ranger bonded. SG ran a lovely deal on them in Dec, so I bought a case. Figured that would last me a significant amount of time. I'm not a huge fan of 147's, but thus far it's panning out better than anything else in my primary pistols.

As good as HST is, and I do like the stuff, I have one huge complaint over any other ammo I've ever carried. I shoot more now than I ever have, and it does not take long at all for the projectile in the round in the top of the mag to set back in the case. No, not a huge deal, but enough to annoy me tremendously.

I do kind of wish they shipped FedEx, as they seem to get things to me a tad faster, but only being a few hours from here means it's pretty much guaranteed to be only two days to get here.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    That's largely why I switched to Ranger bonded. SG ran a lovely deal on them in Dec, so I bought a case. Figured that would last me a significant amount of time. I'm not a huge fan of 147's, but thus far it's panning out better than anything else in my primary pistols.
    FYI, Winchester 147 Ranger bonded is one of our two authorized duty loads and it has performed very well in actual shootings. The other load is 147 Remington Golden Saber Bonded.

Regards.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    SGAmmo.com
    ^^^^ This.

I just bought some boxes of Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2) from them that's on DocGKR's ammo list.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Thanks for replies.

I'll order some soon.

Brownells frequently does $49 = Free Shipping.

Also, maybe more relevant for many of us gun nerds and not so much Mystery, but I caved for the $49 Edge membership. Free shipping on anything like I am used to with Amazon.

User Tag List