Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super Fun Time Thread - You do your pursuits, I'll do mine

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I'm mil not LE, so I am speaking out of my lane here:

But what happened to blaming the criminal for the bad results of the criminal's actions?
    Bad things that happen because a criminal would not follow lawful commands from LE to pull over and stop their vehicle sounds like the *criminal's* fault to me - not the PD's fault for doing their job of catching criminals.

The Police have a societal and oathbound obligation to catch criminals. Blaming them for bad outcomes caused by criminals is so head-up-ass backwards thinking that I simply don't understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    This summarizes my thinking. LE should not be on the hook because of actions in the public interest to detain a fleeing person; that is on the person who initiates the chase by fleeing. I also would add, as a taxpayer, that areas that are known to be aggressive in stopping criminal behavior have much less criminal behavior than those who are more lax. I live in and prefer the former.
    When a 3rd party is injured, the criminal actor has no money to pay a judgement. The governmental entity, however, has a big, fat insurance policy.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    When a 3rd party is injured, the criminal actor has no money to pay a judgement. The governmental entity, however, has a big, fat insurance policy.
    I may be guilty of oversimplifying this issue, but it seems the taxpayers can pay the occasional settlement for third-party injuries or pay other costs due to increased crime, such as higher premiums for insurance policies, damage to property, etc. While I do not want third parties (like me) being injured or worse, I rather take on the risk to get the order that comes with law and order than to have to be concerned about criminals emboldened by a lack of law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    I don’t think there has been an air asset in my state in 20 years. There are neighboring agencies with K9’s though.
    That being said, we basically only pursue for violent felonies.
    Start a drone program. $1500 per hour for blade time may not be affordable, but $3k for a drone might. Drones can't replace an aircraft, yet. But, doing it this way because we've always done it this way is not the way to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    But what happened to blaming the criminal for the bad results of the criminal's actions?
    Lawyers.

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico...blames-deputy/

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Start a drone program. $1500 per hour for blade time may not be affordable, but $3k for a drone might. Drones can't replace an aircraft, yet. But, doing it this way because we've always done it this way is not the way to do things.
    In another thread I said I figured before I retire we'll have drones doing the pursuits. I'm all for it. In the meantime you deal with what you have now. Our chopper isn't up much any longer, only special events.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    In another thread I said I figured before I retire we'll have drones doing the pursuits. I'm all for it. In the meantime you deal with what you have now. Our chopper isn't up much any longer, only special events.
    We don't have a chopper in my county. SO has a Cessna with a sensor ball that costs more than the plane. CHP will respond if they're up. We can mutual aid drones from surrounding agencies and they are useful for crash and crimes scene photos. I predict the technology for drones to follow and transmit video will be here after I retire, but within the next five years.

Unless the FAA changes drone flight regulations you won’t have drones following pursuits. Current regulations require constant line of sight and trying to fly a drone from a moving vehicle at normal speeds is hard enough. Then you have the issue of top speed which most drones can’t keep up with pursuit speeds. The only feasible way to have drones for pursuit would be to have military grade jet engine powered drones flown from a base station and I don’t see that happening.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    Unless the FAA changes drone flight regulations you won’t have drones following pursuits. Current regulations require constant line of sight and trying to fly a drone from a moving vehicle at normal speeds is hard enough. Then you have the issue of top speed which most drones can’t keep up with pursuit speeds. The only feasible way to have drones for pursuit would be to have military grade jet engine powered drones flown from a base station and I don’t see that happening.
    I don't think you'd do it from a moving vehicle. I think you'd do it kind of like stop sticks and maybe in combination with that sort of thing. Setup a loose perimeter, stop, deploy, once it's out of our area either relocate or go back in service, depending. One drone wouldn't have to keep up with the pursuit. You'd just have to have a moving perimeter to keep it in sight. The technology to hand it off is probably what's going to be the trick, not speeds of drones or the like. Some indicator that says "it's that one" from one to the next.

And for bigger city pursuits, speeds "as the drone flies" and ignoring traffic would probably keep a lot of them in sight. Sure, balls out on the interstate or more rural environments that approach probably won't be nearly as effective.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    farscott, I like the way you think. That said, decisions like that are made far above the pay grade of the people posting here. Nonetheless, making procedural and policy decisions based solely or primarily on liability and optics concerns will, sooner or later, result in bad consequences caused by bad people. I urge you to contact your elected officials. (Not being sarcastic. In all seriousness, we need people like you behind us.)

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    While I do not want third parties (like me) being injured or worse, I rather take on the risk to get the order that comes with law and order than to have to be concerned about criminals emboldened by a lack of law enforcement.
    I suppose this is the bottom line of the argument, one way or the other. As a cop, I'm inclined to agree that the rule of law should reign supreme. But as a citizen, I don't accept the risk to my family for some cowboy cop to get his adrenaline rush chasing a shoplifter at 100mph down a residential street.

I work for a city agency that is busier than some, but certainly not LA, Chicago or NYC. As a matter of policy, we don't pursue non-violent criminals. Does that mean we let the occasional traffic violator go? Yep. Has it resulted in wanton disregard for the law in our city? No.

There's a happy/reasonable medium that exists somewhere in the middle there...and I don't pretend to know exactly where it is. But I can say that in my admittedly limited experience (one agency, one jurisdiction), even when we terminate a pursuit, we can generally locate and arrest the perp at a later (and safer) point if really necessary.

User Tag List