Thread: Does Bullseye get cleaner at higher charge weights?

Does Bullseye get cleaner at higher charge weights?

Got to the range yesterday with my Sig P220R. Ran a variety of ammo, both hand and factory loads, including a handful of light target loads, a 200 gr. coated SWC over 4 gr. of Bullseye. This is just barely enough powder to cycle the Sig, it has a very stiff recoil spring. But that 2-3 mags worth of bullets made a total mess of my pistol, as well as the brass, covered in soot half way down the case. I know Bullseye is on the dirty side, but this seems ridiculous. Other than changing powder, something I'll do once I've used up the Bullseye I have, would increasing the charge weight help? As this is a pretty low velocity load, IIRC it's in the 750-800 FPS range, is my bullet too hard? I'm using the 18 BRN MBC bullet, should I be using the 12 BRN for this load? Don't really want to totally abandon it, it's very soft shooting and very accurate from both my .45's. But it sure does make a mess. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

Dave

I can run 1500 rounds through my Operator with Bullseye and 200 grain coated bullets with no issue what so ever. And I'm using less powder than you are.

How much crimp are you using?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    I run 4.3 grains under a 230gr LRN and the case might get a little sooty, but it isn't that dirty. I forget which, but I've heard Bullseye will run a little cleaner with either more pressure or more powder.

Perhaps do a tighter crimp? Maybe switch up to a heavier bullet?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4 under a 200 is light. The soot you're getting on the case means that it's not even sealing the chamber. I would suggest checking crimp as previously mentioned, but I honestly don't think it'll make a lick of difference. Bullseye, like any powder, will clean up as it gets further into its "happy" pressure band.

That said, I happily shoot ammo that light all the time. My guns are filthy, but they work just fine. They're supposed to get dirty. Cases clean up with walnut media and a little NuFinish+mineral spirits.

If you want a superlatively light 230-grain load, try 3.6 gr of Hodgdon Clays. If you want to shoot 200-grain LSWCs cleanly and accurately, spend the extra money for coated and use 4.2 gr of WST. I've retired Bullseye to .38s and 9mm. I'm only just now getting around to experimenting with Clays and 200s, as previously, I always just used 230s for the light stuff, and damn few of them.
    Last edited by Wise_A; 02-13-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    The old Hercules Bullseye is dirtier than the Alliant version. 4 grains may not be combusting fully. Green Dot does burn cleaner with higher pressure. With cast bullets lubricant contributes to most of the mess you mention. There are countless lubes and some are messier than others. Some older ones would get your hands dirty while shooting.

In the distant past ammo factories used Bullseye to load 45 Auto commercial and military ammo. 5 grains with a 230 grain bullet has been a decades old stand-by for making factory duplication loads. When you switch powders, make certain to select one that meters well. Ball powders do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    . If you want to shoot 200-grain LSWCs cleanly and accurately, spend the extra money for coated and use 4.2 gr of WST.
    +1 on that, it's my favorite .45 cast load.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

4.0 is plenty of BE if it’s ejecting fine.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks, guys, appreciate the info. I am using coated bullets, and I do have other powders on hand that I'll be using once the Bullseye is used up. This particular load is just barely enough to run my P220R, I do get occasional FTE's. Not a problem in my CZ 97 BD. I'll probably be switching to a heavier bullet anyway, and will look at my crimp. Later.

Dave

Yes, Bullseye, as most powders, burn cleaner at mid to upper charges. This is the main reason some powders are claimed to be "dirty" (Unique). Nearly everything that burns leaves some kind of debris behind, and light loads of Unique leaves a lot, while heavier loads burn "clean"...

User Tag List