Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hangup when Slingshotting Glock 19 Gen 5 Slide

Hangup when Slingshotting Glock 19 Gen 5 Slide

I ran a couple of hundred rounds through a G19 Gen 5 that had 115 rounds through it. All ammunition has been Speer Lawman 124gr besides a mag of 124gr +P Gold Dot. I've never had this happen before, but today when I slingshot the slide after putting a new mag in, the round was caught slightly, like it didn't finish feeding (I hesitate to call it a Failure to Feed, but I guess that's technically what it was). I was able to recreate the stoppage one more time. I simply pulled back the slide enough for the round to go into the chamber and that was it. I think it's because I didn't slingshot it hard enough - that is, pulling the slide just enough to unlock but that's it, and then perhaps keeping it from returning to battery with full force. Either that, or there's something slightly off about this G19.

Anyone else run into this? I used to mainly use the slide release/slide stop, but in the last thousand rounds or so of shooting, I've been sling shotting the slide.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 12-06-2022 at 08:44 PM.

Why the switch from using the slide stop? Did the malfunction happen during any usage of the slide stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    Why the switch from using the slide stop? Did the malfunction happen during any usage of the slide stop?
    No stoppages from usage of the slide stop. I think I just got used to sling shotting the slide because that's what I do on my USP 45 full size because the slide stop is much farther forward of the safety lever (which I'm planning to either switch to the other side to be decock only, or simply go LEM).

I think on the G19, me releasing the slide by hand might not have as much gusto going forward as when the slide stop is used and the full pressure of the spring is immediately acting on the slide.

With my G19Gen5, I'll often have first round feeding issues if using a 10-round G19 mag.
    With a 15-round mag, I don't have any problem, although with almost 27K rounds through the two G19Gen5 guns with a variety of ammo, mostly 115 gr. FMJ of various brands, I wouldn't remember if it might have occasionally happened as I just don't worry about it.

Various parts will wear and probably change as the total round count goes up: mag spring; RSA; dirty mag & follower; each round of ammo could be slightly different.

I'll mainly start from the slide locked back and release the slide using the slide-stop, but I'll occasionally sling-shot the slide, whether using the forefinger & thumb technique, as in actually using a sling-shot, or the "over-hand" technique. I find it good practice to know, learn, or practice those three techniques, both right & left-handed, btw.

With my G19Gen5 which is a MOS-model with Holosun SCS installed, I'm more likely to use the slide-stop technique, just to limit getting the optic dirty and to keep my palm print off the optic's glass.

If you need to quickly "tap & rack", do so, then move on.

If you are referring to actual slingshotting - versus overhand - make sure you aren't pushing forward with your strong hand to help the process. The frame shouldn't move.

Additionally - don't strip your fingersw/hand off the back of the slide, think 'crisply release.'
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    If you are referring to actual slingshotting - versus overhand - make sure you aren't pushing forward with your strong hand to help the process. The frame shouldn't move.

Additionally - don't strip your fingersw/hand off the back of the slide, think 'crisply release.'
    Perhaps I'm not using the word "slingshotting" correctly. What I've been doing is reaching over the slide, grabbing the rear serrations, pulling it back slightly and letting it go. I suspect I didn't let my hand off fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Perhaps I'm not using the word "slingshotting" correctly. What I've been doing is reaching over the slide, grabbing the rear serrations, pulling it back slightly and letting it go. I suspect I didn't let my hand off fast enough.
    I would call that over hand racking, slingshot is usually pinching the slide with the thumb and forefinger and pulling the slide back

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    I would call that over hand racking, slingshot is usually pinching the slide with the thumb and forefinger and pulling the slide back
    That makes more sense. Too bad it's too late for me to change the thread title!

In any case, yes, it happened while over-hand racking.

And releasing the slide, no matter which way, is something which gets practiced in various ways, especially at a shooting range.
    Many repetitions, with perhaps some failures/problems, and we get to know our guns and the techniques which will work for us.

Overnight, I was thinking about this thread, and remembered, with my G19 guns, one of my sure combinations of failure is:

-a 10-round Glock mag;
    -one Federal 147gr. HST (a jhp) round in the mag;
    -trying to load from slide-lock, whether slide-stop or sling-shot/overhand means.

This combination would likely never come up, but with the amount of shooting, disassembly/reassembly, and working on/with the guns I do, this combo was noticed.

Sometimes, to get my 15+1 amount of rounds in, I'll load a single round from an empty mag, then drop the now empty mag, and then insert the fully-loaded-15-round mag into gun.
    I suppose it's a good thing for me to know should I ever get into a fire-fight and need to load from a partially empty/full 10-round Glock 19 mag

Site Supporter
    Using the real slingshotting (that's what I've done for years, the overhands don't work for me, esp. being left handed), no problems chambering a Gen 5 with an SRO. However, I had some trouble ejecting the last chambered round after dropping the magic. The round would bumble around and I had to shake it out. This was with FMJ and both OEM ten rounders and Magpuls. It was suggested that I wasn't racking vigorously enough. Thus I tried with dummy rounds to practice a more robust rack and problem solved.

User Tag List