Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Need Ideas for Elderly Lady's House Revolver

Site Supporter
    From a response made to a similar OP in 12/19

"Late to the party. Most respectfully: a reload is highly unlikely and would be too slow to be outcome changing-

manipulation on any firearm is going to be a real challenge- recoil for any follow up shots at speed is going to be a challenge-

any malfunction clearance in an auto loader is going to be a real challenge- therefore a tuned .22 revolver- S&W Model 317 or Model 63. Both have 8 shots."

Edited to add

perhaps a .22 caliber 10/22 etc with a red dot as it is never going outside of the house as per the OP.

different ammo lots to minimize rimfire malfunction issue

the ideal solution here is not likely to be particularly inexpensive relative to telling someone to buy a Glock police turn in and rocking on.

Site Supporter
    Holding up a long arm for any length of time is a problem for weaker people. For folks not practiced, having also to manipulate lights, phones, alarms, etc. with a long arm is troublesome. Moving with one takes practice. If we go 22 LR, the handgun is better, IMHO.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Or, for that matter, one of the used Manhurin MR88s discussed in a separate concurrent thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....e-Systems-449; that way she can havde what's reportedly an excellent, easy handling and recoil managing revolver-and be quite the community hipster. I'd get me one of them before the new Colt...

Best, Jon
    FWIW, the DA pull on my MR-88 measured at about 11 pounds, but I suspect you could go quite a bit lighter with the mainspring and still maintain reliability if using Federal primers. The gun itself weighs a bit over two pounds, so it’d soak up recoil much better than the LCR, if she can point it and manage the trigger.

I've posted before about my petite mom selecting a Browning 1911-380.

I was at the range with my folks last week. She has a macular "hole" in her vision and has real trouble seeing the front sight. As her pistol has a railed frame, I attached a cheapo light/laser unit that my dad had. She was able to hold the laser much steadier that I'd have thought, and was able to be fairly consistent, so they will be looking for a CT Rail Master or Rail Master Pro. I only wish that a version with front strap activation was available for her.

Hence, these two SKUs from S&W seem particularly attractive as one-and-done options:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...l-thumb-safety

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...red-laserguard

If I had more disposable income, I'd buy one of each just for new shooters to try out. I will likely adjust my budget to make that happen.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    A potential issue with the 380 EZ that at least one other member and I have ran into is that they are, or at least can be, very prone to limp wristing related stoppages. Which is a bit of a bummer considering the gun's target audience.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I've posted before about my petite mom selecting a Browning 1911-380.

I was at the range with my folks last week. She has a macular "hole" in her vision and has real trouble seeing the front sight. As her pistol has a railed frame, I attached a cheapo light/laser unit that my dad had. She was able to hold the laser much steadier that I'd have thought, and was able to be fairly consistent, so they will be looking for a CT Rail Master or Rail Master Pro. I only wish that a version with front strap activation was available for her.

Hence, these two SKUs from S&W seem particularly attractive as one-and-done options:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...l-thumb-safety

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...red-laserguard

If I had more disposable income, I'd buy one of each just for new shooters to try out. I will likely adjust my budget to make that happen.
    These could be improved over the lasers used on the Bodyguards but after seeing the CT units fly apart on two different students' guns (both with extremely low round counts) I wouldn't have much faith in them without getting hands on them first.

This will probably get shot down for any number of reasons but what about a ruger charger. Assuming a house gun.

https://ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

So no disrespect to the revolver devotees but it looks like the S&W .380EZ will work. She can do all the manipulations without trouble, now if she can shoot it we'll be set.

I did see a nifty LNIB, M10 4" HB in the used case...DA trigger was excellent!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    So no disrespect to the revolver devotees but it looks like the S&W .380EZ will work. She can do all the manipulations without trouble, now if she can shoot it we'll be set.

I did see a nifty LNIB, M10 4" HB in the used case...DA trigger was excellent!
    And it's still in the used case? Tsk, tsk.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    And it's still in the used case? Tsk, tsk.
    Yep $500+

User Tag List