Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Ideas for Elderly Lady's House Revolver

Need Ideas for Elderly Lady's House Revolver

Hi all,

I'm not a "revolver guy" so decided to post here looking for advice. I'm searching for revolver options for an elderly lady with limited grip strength. I suspect .38 Spl is max she might be able to shoot but the trigger can't be real heavy either. Something with enough barrel and weight to be shootable and useable sights...so no airweight snubbies for this one.

This would not be a CCW...just for the house.

Thanks

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    We have multiple grandma/old person gun threads around here.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    We have multiple grandma/old person gun threads around here.
    So I take it you have no recommendations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    So I take it you have no recommendations.

Thanks
    I think his recommendation was to search for those threads...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Having gone down this road with my Mom who's now in her 70's, The S&W 380 EZ was by far the best option and much easier for her to load, fire, and generally work with. She simply does not have the hand strength to effectively run a DA revolver.
    The next step after the 380EZ would have been a Ruger 22/45 or similar .22 LR handgun. I didn't want to leave her with a .22 for obvious reasons, but I'd rather her have a weapon with which she is confident and capable than a weapon that intimidates her.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think his recommendation was to search for those threads...
    I guess Redhat will know how to respond to OJ when he next posts a question. There are ways of being helpful around here without the snark, imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Having gone down this road with my Mom who's now in her 70's, The S&W 380 EZ was by far the best option and much easier for her to load, fire, and generally work with. She simply does not have the hand strength to effectively run a DA revolver.
    The next step after the 380EZ would have been a Ruger 22/45 or similar .22 LR handgun. I didn't want to leave her with a .22 for obvious reasons, but I'd rather her have a weapon with which she is confident and capable than a weapon that intimidates her.
    ^^^THIS^^^

And, FWIW, if she (or they) can handle the snappier recoil pulse, the new S&W M&P 9 SHIELD EZ...

Site Supporter
    Depending on what is or is not strong within the hands, a revolver may or may not be the best solution. About 40% of the females I have introduced to pistol shooting had difficulty with triggers of 9 lb. or more, and that is without getting into weak hand issues. I second the recommendation for the S&W .380 EZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    One benefit of the revolver over the semi is simplified administrative handling.
    Another is that it won't be ammo or grip dependent for functionality.
    Downside is capacity.

I may be wrong, but I think a Ruger LCRx 3" in 357mag, loaded with 38 Wadcutters would be a good choice if the revolver is the ultimate choice. The 3" model has a larger grip and the 357mag version uses a steel frame, adding weight. I have found the 2" LCR38 to have less felt recoil than my S&W 37-2 even though the LCR38 is lighter. Adding more weight and larger/longer grips will further reduce felt recoil. Also, the LCR has one of the lightest triggers I've experienced in that class gun. It feels lighter than the modestly tuned triggers in my K-frames.

Chris

User Tag List