Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Duty Holsters - positioning, angle, heights, retention

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    My duty belt has a plain CUBL....no reason for the QLS. I do think its the easy answer to provide a bit of standoff, especially if the officer is wearing an external vest carrier....but even there I prefer the QLS-L locking version. Most cops have no need for the quick on-off feature.
    I really like the spacing provided by the QLS. It's like a dropped and offset holster but not extremely so.

Regarding the quick on-off feature, it's nice if the lock boxes at jail, court, etc. are big enough. Rather than risk the administrative handing of the gun to secure it, you can just pop the holster off and stash it in the lock box. Ditto when it comes to retrieving the weapon.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

In case this is of use to anyone, I purchased and tried the VUBL for a bit including a qualification session and like it. I then got the QUBL (adjustable height QLS) and have been experimenting with that. I feel like the QUBL has too mush offset and I plan to assign that to training belt purposes use the VUBL. The adjustable height function feels kind of gimmicky in some ways but my draw is progressively faster in mid and low positions but comfort in cars, desk chairs, etc, is greater in the high setting, and more importantly, angle is better when seated in a vehicle.

Coupled with eliminating the typical safariland cant, this seems the way to go and seems as secure as any other UBL mount. All of this with the caveat that I am not a tall guy and high ride duty holsters require way too much shoulder movement to work well for me on a constant basis, and low tactical holsters are a no-go for me for real world carry, so I have always used mid-ride as a compromise. Someone who is not height-challenged would probably not get as much potential benefit from the adjustable height mount. If I was not drawn to the adjustable height, I would likely go with QLS.

Got my NCP2s ordered before they went out of stock. Very excited about this one. I've chased this cant thing for a better part of the year, eventually arriving at the True North Concepts modular holster mount thing with a QLS. This NCP2 should fix my complaint with the NCP that the UBL had to be moved too far forward to be comfortable in a car (especially if you're a 2:00 holster guy like me).

Will post a mini-review when I get it.

NCP2 showed up today. Install is easy and straightforward. The included fasteners are a bolt and washer that use a smaller bit than Safariland stuff. I would rather that they buy hardware more similar to what Safariland uses but that is nitpicking.

Overall, the plate does a better job of keeping the holster "on" the UBL than the NCP1, which allows me to get the holster farther forward into more of a 60 degree (2:00 o'clock) position. The range of adjustment is awesome. I paired mine with a CUBL and found that it can go far enough negative by itself that I'm not even using the additional adjustment of the CUBL. The assembly is comfortable for sitting in the car (Charger) as well.

Very promising initial experience. I'll post an update after I have some more time on it.

Is a vehicle mounted holster, perhaps with a secondary or tertiary pistol (or SBR), a total non starter?
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    So yesterday I was in a vehicle pursuit. Short version, stolen car that visited a known dope house flees from a neighboring district right at the border, I was close and ended up as second car. ONce there were three of us the lead car used PIT and the suspect car ended up against a tree on the passenger side. "Tactical V" put the PIT car holding his driver's side door closed with his bumper and me at the front bumper to keep him from driving off. This resulted in a whole metric shit ton of movement by the driver. As we all know, a bunch of movement is bad. In this scenario I start my draw as soon as I undo my seat belt since my hand is right there anyway and by the time I'm out of the car to take some cover behind the engine I'm up and ready. I would assume the carry position under discussion would make that more difficult.

I am not in the last concerned with a few tenths of a second on the draw vs getting hung up in my vehicle and every vehicle I get is narrower than the last.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Which might be a fair point, but cops are shot at while seated in their car all the time. BehindBlueI's incident is an excellent example of how a LEO might need their gun while seated. I'd still rank access while seated as being more important than tenths of a second on a preplanned draw. The author stated that 15* is the max amount he can do while still being able to draw seated, but that was the extent of what I saw him write about it.

Like was said earlier in the thread, what is old is new again. I'm not sure there's a compelling reason to move to this practice when 1) I'm not aware of officers losing gunfights due to tenth of a second difference on draw times, whereas IFWA while seated is an issue that presents itself to LEOs over and over again, and 2) The older guys already learned hard lessons, which is why we went away from this practice to begin with.

I've consistently picked holsters which sacrifice raw speed on prepositioned, primed/planned draws due to the benefits they offer me in other areas. YMMV.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Is a vehicle mounted holster, perhaps with a secondary or tertiary pistol (or SBR), a total non starter?
    That has historically been an answer. When I first started with my department, many officers had a holster mounted by the knee or between the legs. The down side to this is if you bail out of your car you probably don't have time to lock it. Maybe some officers have the technology to automatically do so, I don't know, but we didn't and don't. That left the gun as free access to anyone who saw it, and the negative of that is obvious. If I bail out of my car right now with it running, anyone who gets in has access to anything in my car. They can't put it in gear without my fob and knowing where the secret button is so they can't steal the car itself. Any gun I leave in my car must be "properly secured" which if in the passenger compartment means in the designated lockbox.

So it's a non starter for me specifically as it would violate department policy.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    NCP2 showed up today. Install is easy and straightforward. The included fasteners are a bolt and washer that use a smaller bit than Safariland stuff. I would rather that they buy hardware more similar to what Safariland uses but that is nitpicking.

Overall, the plate does a better job of keeping the holster "on" the UBL than the NCP1, which allows me to get the holster farther forward into more of a 60 degree (2:00 o'clock) position. The range of adjustment is awesome. I paired mine with a CUBL and found that it can go far enough negative by itself that I'm not even using the additional adjustment of the CUBL. The assembly is comfortable for sitting in the car (Charger) as well.

Very promising initial experience. I'll post an update after I have some more time on it.
    Got some more time in on this thing and I dig it. If you don't like the angle of the Safariland duty holster, this is the answer. It's a really great, simple piece of gear.

The only thing that I don't really like is that the screws that attach the NCP to the UBL have a different thread pitch and head than Safariland's screws. That's a real nit-pick.

I’m considering trying one of the NCPs. Right now I have a safariland belt loop (the ones that come with the “concealment” versions of the ALS holster and have a reasonable forward cant with it and a QLS. I’d like to have the cant on the holster side, rather than the belt loop side, so the cant remains when I move my holster to the drop leg rig. How much extra standoff or width is created with the NCL2 and a QLS? Would the original NCP work better for using top with the QLS?

Quote Originally Posted by Phred View Post
    How much extra standoff or width is created with the NCL2 and a QLS? Would the original NCP work better for using top with the QLS?
    The original NCP/NCP-E is pretty narrow, as in it's thinner than 1/8th inch. The QLS will only add it's width - which is about 5/8ths of an inch?

The NCP2 adds something like 0.39". So add the 0.625" quoted above for the QLS (assuming it is correct) and you're talking a shade over an inch. I don't think that sounds like much, but I think it will feel like a lot.

User Tag List