Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Duty Holsters - positioning, angle, heights, retention

Being Kilt In Tha Seatz

One of the reasons I retired in very early 2018, rather than the planned end-of-2018-or-later, was being required to patrol in the tiny new Ford MBUVs. (Make-Believe Utility Vehicle.) A partial short-term work-around was was to switch to smaller G19 duty pistol, from the preferred 1911 or G17, which meant a reduction in accuracy potential. Another concern was there being no clear path to exit quickly with the long gun, or to maneuver and fire the long gun from within the vehicle.

All I really wanted was to be able to keep driving a Tahoe, on patrol. (It was not that I had gotten big; I was wearing Blauer duty trousers with a 34” waist, and was still able to get into 32” VertX cargo pants. I am 6” tall, with long legs/arms.) My division commander would not honor the long tradition of letting high-seniority officers keep driving our older vehicles.

Getting my hand properly onto the grip of a handgun, in a Safariland 070 or 6360 duty holsters, at 0300, was never a problem, even when seated in the micro-Fords. The clearance problem, in the micro-Fords, was maneuvering room, especially when I was seated on the right side.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

My adapter plate is making its way down from the Great White North. Can't wait to work with it.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Safariland now shows the CUBL and VUBL as available to order.

For info, I ordered a couple CUBLs three or so weeks ago when they came on-line on the Sarfariland site and they're still showing "in production" with a lengthy delay.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    For info, I ordered a couple CUBLs three or so weeks ago when they came on-line on the Sarfariland site and they're still showing "in production" with a lengthy delay.
    I am pretty sure that in some ancient language "Safariland" translates to lengthy delay in English.

I believe it would violate federal law or result in a the poles shifting if Safariland shipped any of their holsters or major components in less than 60 days.

Long time reader, first time caller.

This is quite the thread, particularly the OP. I ordered a couple CUBLs about a week before I found the thread and ordered a couple NCPs right away. They are here already, and I have some personal observations:

1) As the video install instructions from Blackbox Customs say, you really are better off with the QLS (although the CUBL will do the same thing) so that you can fine-tine the cant. The cant without it is too far rearward for me. With it, it's fine.

2) There is zero question that this is a more comfortable position from which to draw and is much faster. I haven't put it on the clock yet, but there is simply no question.

Those are the good things... Now for the issues:

3) Depending on your car and equipment, the offset from the QLS plus moving the holster forward, plus moving the grip angle back may be an issue. I'm not talking a "get kilt in the streets" issue, I'm talking a "can't sit in the car comfortably" issue. I have tried it in a Tahoe and a Charger. The Tahoe was surprisingly less comfortable than the Charger, which has less "hip" in the seat backs and allows the gun butt to rest more comfortably. I am using a mid-ride UBL, and it would most certainly be worse with the low ride.

4) To move the UBL forward of 3:00, you have to have the room in your gear or make room. That is obvious to write, but was not as obvious to me as I was envisioning everything. This is amplified by the NCP offsetting the holster "back" from the UBL (toward the rear). If they could reverse the design to put the holster forward, you may not have to move the UBL forward at all to get the holster up to 2:00 or 2:30. The way the holster sits on the NCP with the UBL at 3:00, it would likely be worse for sitting in a car and for weapon retention.

Conclusion:

I like the NCP. It does a great job, but with compromises. Everything in gear is compromises. We are fighting speed versus comfort versus retention, etc. I don't think that for the average guy on patrol that the NCP is the answer. I have seen that the_theory_police is doing a neutral cant adapter for the standard UBL and I think that might be closer to "the answer." The CUBL might be "the answer" also, but like many of you, mine are weeks out. I think there is a real place for the NCP in tactical team applications, K9, and other places where a drop leg might have traditionally been common.

I'm going to keep working with it, though.

Should anyone be interested in a domestic source for the plates, Centrifuge Training is the US distributor for them now.

I have no financial interest in Centrifuge.

I dabbled with the Blackbox Custom plate for a bit the last couple weeks. I’ve decided to go back to my own modified UBL as I also found the position with the plate a bit too rearward for my taste. If anyone is looking for one sans the wait time, drop me a pm.

T

Hi Risk Customer Services
    I installed a QLS receiver plate (22) and fork (19) on my duty belt last summer for my 6360 ALS/SLS. The system allows for a very close to neutral cant without modification. It also places it slightly further off the body. Feels almost like a Level 3 competition rig and it's very fast. Yes it does make sitting in the car slightly more difficult but I can usually work around that and find a comfortable spot.

I looked pretty hard at the NCP and was about to buy one but had read somewhere that it does not work as well with the non RDS Safariland models.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Installed a Safariland CUBL on my 6360. Brings it to pretty much a straight drop, which is maxed out. Avoids having to use a QLS mount, which I have on a training belt. So far, I like it.

Any thoughts on this? Reminiscent of the Ben Stoeger BOSS but oriented towards tactical use. Looks like an array of mounting/canting options.

True North Modular Holster Adapter

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List